CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone use Abilify as their primary stabiliser? Does it keep you stable without needing additional stabilising meds?

Does anyone use another AAP as a primary stabiliser/on its own for BP?

What do you guys think of this strategy?

I want to go off lithium. Lamictal is not enough to keep the mania at bay. I'm wondering if Abilify could replace lithium as the anti mania stabiliser? I know it is approved for acute mania, but not as a maintenance treatment to prevent further episodes AFAIK.

I replaced lithium with Abilify. I was also on doxepin, eventually, and that lead to the longest good period I've had in ages. I had Zyprexa available, too, but I never needed while on Abilify. But I didn't get any results from Abilify until after I hit 15 mg. Unfortunately, it made my hair fall out, so I jettisoned it. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I replaced lithium with Abilify. I was also on doxepin, eventually, and that lead to the longest good period I've had in ages. I had Zyprexa available, too, but I never needed while on Abilify. But I didn't get any results from Abilify until after I hit 15 mg. Unfortunately, it made my hair fall out, so I jettisoned it. 

My hair has been thinning a noticeable amount too...I didn't think Abilify could cause that. I thought Lamictal was the culprit. Hmmm

4 hours ago, Asho2345 said:

Seroquel is my main stabiliser at the moment, definitely worth looking into

Can I ask how much you take? I'm on my phone and can't see lol.

I have had good results with quel in the past but couldn't take much more than 300mg. Don't know if that would be enough.

I find loxapine to be the only antipsychotic that both controls my mania and also is tolerable. I quit Latuda (akathisia), Saphris (akathisia), Fanapt (cardiac side effects / pounding heart), Abilify (emotional blunting), Zyprexa (weight/cholesterol/triglyceride gains). Loxapine at 25mg has had next to no side effects and pretty much knocks my mania on its ass. It also boosts the Prozac to help with my depression because loxapine is broken down to the antidepressant amoxapine.