CrazyBoards.org

Memory problems

I have short term memory issues. I'm on several meds that list memory problems as side effects. I also survived years of emotional and mental abuse during which I learned to dissociate (right word?) and to forget as a defense mechanism. 

Now i have trouble remembering things and I am worried that someone at work will notice. I use sticky notes and keep an ongoing notebook of tasks and whatnot. 

Anyone else?

I also have this problem with short-term memory.  The only advice is what you are doing already ... making notes on post-its and notebook (I also use the computer ... not only to write what I need to do, but so I can read it legibly (my handwriting isn't the best) ... create a document, save it, so when something needs to be done, I add it to the list).

Not sure what to tell you about someone at work might noticing it though.  I think I would say that "my short-term memory isn't the best," and leave it at that.

I have this problem, too. It's complicated because, due to my ADD, I've always had short term memory issues, but it seems worse now. Being in an episode makes it worse for sure. I have no idea what effect meds have. I don't think they contribute to it for me.

I use my phone calander with alerts for anything I have to do at a certain time, notes app for remembering information. I use pen and paper to think in a more organised way and to organise things in my mind by writing it and seeing it clearly.

I don't work or do anything so don't have to remember much.

My preferred way of remembering what I need to do day-to-day is to use a legal pad. At the top of the page I write the day of the week and the date, and I write a list of everything I need to do. If something really needs to get done that day, I put an asterisk by it. Then as I work through the list I cross stuff off. Anything that remains at the end of the day goes to the next day-and-dated page, and keeps getting rerecorded until it gets done.

Making reminders on my phone has proven useless for me, except for the occasional alarm to say "It's three o'clock. You need to leave in half an hour" or something like that, because they invariably go off when I'm in the middle of something else and I just switch them off in irritation. Too easy to ignore.

• Like 1

I have a bad memory problem as well. I make lists and write every single thing down or it will be forgotten. I also have a hard time remembering long-term things sometimes. An event or memory that someone else relates to me is simply gone. Medications + bipolar will do that to you. It was scary at first when it first started happening, now I am used to it and just sigh and shrug my shoulders.

I sometimes forget what I am doing whils't I am doing it. which is bad when you are driving, It hasn't happended to me in a while, but everytime I would be driving, I would turn a corner, and completely forget that I was driving, I would just kinda sit there lifeless for a few seconds, then it was like OH SHIT, and I would slam on the brakes to avoid hitting someone/thing.