CrazyBoards.org

Ok, So I increased my Lamictal about 2 months ago 100mg.. my skin has been angry.. it has been breaking out .. I have tried Pro Activ, Usually if I ever run into a blip with my skin it its gone in a week or so, but this is not doing anything. But this is a different type of acne. My dermatologist is booked 2 months out. So I will go to my GP.. even tho they aren't skin experts. My skin is naturally clear, so I am trying to find the culprit. :(  

Welcome to the wonderful world of LTG.

My skin is also naturally clear, and a little dry. Since I started taking LTG, it has done all sorts of nutty things. I've become ridiculously sensitive to bugbites. I scar more easily. I've always been fair, but now I sunburn so easily I often fear I'll burst into flames between my car and the building I'm walking to. And finding a sunscreen that doesn't give me a rash has been a bitch. I react to everything.

My best advice is to be very gentle with your skin. Acne is a very specific condition requiring very particular treatment, and it should be confirmed with your dermatologist that that's what you have before you try acne products. Use unscented products-all of them. Soaps, face washes, shampoos, scrubs, lotions: your days of perfumey stuff are over. Oh, and detergents and fabric softeners, too. If you can't live without perfume in your life, put it on your clothes. The outsides of your clothes. Spritz it in the air and walk through the very highly dispersed cloud, ideally with your face covered.

See if your derm has a waitlist, and get on it if you can.

I feel your pain-I really hate this side effect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

I scar more easily.

Yes!.. If i scratch myself or something .. the scar will be there for awhile .. I also notice I have sun damage as well.

7 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

I'll burst into flames between my car and the building I'm walking to.

haha likewise! I need ice down my shirt. But , yes I am on a waiting list.. but most Dr's take vacations in the summers too which blows and makes it longer to see them lol how dare them have a life.

I've found GPs to be pretty competent with acne treatment. I use Retin-A cream everyday long term and did a course of doxycycline tablets for a few months which helped a lot. I've found that only prescription treatments help me, nothing OTC worked. 

I have/had this problem also, but the only thing that helped me was to lower the amount of sugar in what I eat.  I was trying so many things, without any of it working. 

I had read about how eating high amounts of sugar can cause acne.  So I lowered the amount in what I eat (not got rid of it totally, I find that impossible to do, for me at least).  When I did that my face cleared up after about a week (as well as the eczema).  I don't think it was any one thing that I stopped eating as much of, just with what I ate I watched the sugar content.  I didn't follow a certain number of grams of sugar, just really watched what kinds of food I ate. At one point I was eating whatever I wanted (including more sugar) and the acne (and eczema) came back.  So I do my best to watch out for the sugar.

Yep. Lamictal makes my skin very itchy and dry. I never had problems with acne. Now I get these big, deep, angry blemishes that will not go away even OTC cleansers, creams & whatnot. I have yet to find any med that does not have some kind of side effect :( I often just want to dump all the meds but I know that's not a good idea.

Edited by Blahblah

Lamictal makes me break out in horrendous cystic acne all over my back and shoulders... I don't respond to doxycycline 100 mg bid (200 mg) at all and barely respond to minocycline 100 mg bid (200 mg). I've used PanOxyl 10% wash in the shower, then adapalene gel (Differin) 0.3% + clindamycin lotion 1% twice daily. I used to use benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin gel (BenzaClin) 5%/1% but it was impractical to use on my shoulders and back and would stain my clothes. Erythromycin gel 2% burned like fire when I tried it for a brief while instead of clindamycin lotion, so I just went back to the clindamycin. I also used tretinoin cream 0.05%, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.

Then @ByePolarCoordinates told me about Bactrim DS (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole 160 mg/800 mg) and it has been a complete game changer for my acne! I take it once every 12 hours for 14 days at a time and go back to minocycline for another 14 days and cycle back and forth. They said I can't take Bactrim DS constantly or it would cause blood dyscrasias and vitamin deficiencies and things like that, so after a while of taking it they will want to do some blood work, but worth it in my opinion.

I still use the PanOxyl in the shower as well as the adapalene and clindamycin, but the latter two I've been able to reduce to using only once daily if even every other day and still have clear skin. The only problem is when I switch back to minocycline, I'm "spoiled" from the Bactrim, so I don't step up the care with the topicals and my acne catches back up with me while on the minocycline.

It's definitely not a first-line agent for acne, but if you've tried most or all of the tetracycline antibiotics without any response or at best a very partial response, I would definitely recommend giving Bactrim DS a trial.

6 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

high amounts of sugar can cause acne

This I truly believe.. I do notice a change when I reduce my intake of sugar.. Yet it is hard , because when you start back up on the eating whatever you want it's hard to stop. 

11 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

I've found GPs to be pretty competent with acne treatment.

I do too, I am hoping she will prescribe me BenzaClin.. it did help back in the day like over 10 years ago, and who knows she probably knows new medications that work way better. 

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I often just want to dump all the meds but I know that's not a good idea.

I know :( .. it's like we have to take one med to cure the side effect of the other med. it's very frustrating. 

38 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

I would definitely recommend giving Bactrim DS

Did you have any problems with nausea or vomiting? I am sensitive with anti-biotics, I am allergic to Z-Pak.. sometimes these acne meds can be rough on your stomach. 

16 minutes ago, KnickNak said:

Did you have any problems with nausea or vomiting? I am sensitive with anti-biotics, I am allergic to Z-Pak.. sometimes these acne meds can be rough on your stomach. 

Nope. I didn't, but it does have the possibility of causing nausea (as well as a bunch of other side effects, apparently...) Zofran helps me a lot if I have problems with nausea, so maybe your doctor would be willing to give you some along with it if you wanted to try it but were afraid you might be sick from it.

• Like 1

I used benzaclin once, too and it did help, I think. I prefer to use a retinoid cream long term because it has an anti-ageing effect as well as fighting acne. There is even an FDA approved version of Retina-A indicated for sun damage treatment, called Renova.

8 hours ago, KnickNak said:

This I truly believe.. I do notice a change when I reduce my intake of sugar.. Yet it is hard , because when you start back up on the eating whatever you want it's hard to stop. 

Good point.  For me (in terms of eating sugary things), it is like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.  I do well for awhile, then I have 2-3 days where I "have to" eat whatever it is I'm craving (usually sugary foods).  And that sets me back a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

Good point.  For me (in terms of eating sugary things), it is like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.  I do well for awhile, then I have 2-3 days where I "have to" eat whatever it is I'm craving (usually sugary foods).  And that sets me back a little.

Agreed! I notice if i eat junk for a few days and then suddenly stop I have to go back and at least treat myself for a little something, even if it's nowhere near what I eat before. I can't get on the sugar bandwagon.

I had a similar situation. I've been on Lamictal for a while now, but only recently started breaking out. I've read that it can cause acne, but only for some people. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I change my medication or try to find another cause? I'm also have Ketoconazole prescription and I've heard that it causes acne more than Lamictal. What should I do? I'm really upset over this. I've been on every cream possible and even Accutane. I'm sick of having this problem. Please help!

3 hours ago, Extrifformy said:

even Accutane

Wow that is some powerful stuff! is it mostly flare ups? or is it constant? how were the side effects? I know that is used for very severe cystic acne.  I was talking to my therapist last night who is also a nurse and she said to try lavender oil , The reason I am pissed I can't get into my dermo for 2 months is she has this LED/laser pulsating light that I go under for 10 minutes , it's suppose to really help the pores and any skin/sun damage. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, it's me.  I wanted to give an update, I am currently on BenzaClin the (generic) one because the brand name is stupidly expensive and my insurance won't cover it and it won't even cover the generic.

It has been working very well for me. Of course the meds that work the best for me are $$$. 

I have been in the sun a lot too, so that may have something to do with it as well. 

Edited by KnickNak

13 hours ago, KnickNak said:

Hello, it's me.  I wanted to give an update, I am currently on BenzaClin the (generic) one because the brand name is stupidly expensive and my insurance won't cover it and it won't even cover the generic.

It has been working very well for me. Of course the meds that work the best for me are $$$. 

I have been in the sun a lot too, so that may have something to do with it as well. 

I'm glad you found something that works for you!  It sucks that the meds that really work best are really $$$. 

Is it a new thing?  Sometimes insurances won't cover new meds, but eventually do ... not right away, but down the road maybe the generic would be covered.

Also have you tried getting a prior authorization?

On 6/8/2017 at 2:36 PM, KnickNak said:

If you get to where you get tired of paying for BenzaClin, you could always use PanOxyl in the shower and clindamycin lotion when you get out. Also, adapalene gel works wonders! Clindamycin + adapalene are a highly synergistic combo.

Edited by mikl_pls
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

If you get to where you get tired of paying for BenzaClin, you could always use PanOxyl in the shower and clindamycin lotion when you get out.

Thanks! good to know, I am hoping this will clear up in a month or 2 and I won't need as much.