CrazyBoards.org

Help-May have to change med

I can't believe it...........I have been on Effexor XR for 6 years and currently take 600 mg daily ...... no small amount!!!! 

Today I find out that after March 1st The Effexor will no longer be a "formulary" med in my health plan...........and the co-pay will skyrocket.......a cost at this point that I absolutely cannot afford...

The very short letter said I should ask my Dr. for alternatives.........HELP

This med has worked well for me for so long............Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative that has worked for them? 

I have been on zoloft (topped out on dosage...waited too long to change and ended up in the hospital...), prozac (hated the lack of feeling), and a ton of the old school meds, along with trying most of the atypical antipsychotics......

I HATE CHANGING MEDS.... any suggestions?????????

I currently take:

Effexor XR 600

provigil 200

levoxyl 200 (thyroid med)

kadril (BPressure med)

Clozaril 200

Remeron 15

Nexium 40

Since you're already taking the Effexor XL, ask your doctor to go to bat for you with the insurer. Many times if you are already on a medication when the formulary changes, you can get prior authorization from your doctor to stay on that med at the same-as-formulary co-pay. Check it out.

Since you're already taking the Effexor XL, ask your doctor to go to bat for you with the insurer. Many times if you are already on a medication when the formulary changes, you can get prior authorization from your doctor to stay on that med at the same-as-formulary co-pay. Check it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you.......I will check into that!

WARNING - The discontinuation effects of Effexor are horrific. It is almost impossible to get off this medication. Please check out the message boards at focushealthcare.com regarding the withdrawl symptoms. Also - I believe you are taking DOUBLE the reccomended dosage. I have been on 300mg for 7 years. I am completely addicted because the withdrawl is unbearable. Prepare yourself and good luck .

I can't believe it...........I have been on Effexor XR for 6 years and currently take 600 mg daily ...... no small amount!!!! 

Today I find out that after March 1st The Effexor will no longer be a "formulary" med in my health plan...........and the co-pay will skyrocket.......a cost at this point that I absolutely cannot afford...

The very short letter said I should ask my Dr. for alternatives.........HELP

This med has worked well for me for so long............Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative that has worked for them? 

I have been on zoloft (topped out on dosage...waited too long to change and ended up in the hospital...), prozac (hated the lack of feeling), and a ton of the old school meds, along with trying most of the atypical antipsychotics......

I HATE CHANGING MEDS.... any suggestions?????????

I currently take:

Effexor XR 600

provigil 200

levoxyl 200 (thyroid med)

kadril (BPressure med)

Clozaril 200

Remeron 15

Nexium 40

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realize that I am on a very large dose of effexor xr......I have been on the 600 for almost 2 years. 

I also know that the withdrawel for some, okay most, is awful!  I can't believe they (the insurance company), can send me this letter today, and expect that I can change by 3/1. 

I guess I knew intellectually that I would have to change meds again.......although I was hoping just to ADD to the mix:( 

Is there any other med comparable to the effexor that treats depression along with anxiety?  Damn!

The same thing happened to my mother. Kaiser HMO stopped covering Effexor after she'd been on it a couple years. No longer in the "formulary" they said. She tried, and her pdoc tried, but she was not able to get an exemption. (But of course, that was Kaiser, which is a very closed system.)

I agree Greenyflower. Your pdoc may readily go to bat for you. I've had that happen. If that doesn't work with the insurance company, here's a couple other options to consider:

1)

Zelda:

Oh, these insurance companies are the pits.

I think trying to stay on Effexor is a good path, and maybe your doctor can carry the day for you.  (Greeny's suggestion)

Many people have bad side effects coming off it, but others don't.  Try not to anticipate trouble before you know if you do indeed have to get off it.

Have you considered Cymbalta?  Some people who have been on Effexor have done well with Cymbalta.  If it doesn't treat your anxiety, maybe your pdoc could add a small dose of one of the drugs used for anxiety.

What drug is the formulary suggesting?  My company does the same thing, but for some reason they've got Cymbalta on the list.  I guess it depends on which drug company buys off which insurance company.  Sorry if I sound cynical!

I hope it works out for you.

olga

Someone has already mentioned Cymbalta. And, when Effexor stopped working for me, my pdoc replaced it with a combo of Wellbutrin (450 mgs XL) and Zoloft (50 mgs). It's been very effective with few side effects.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Greeny

Archived