CrazyBoards.org

I've never had an "addiction" to anything before, unless you count masturbating several times a day (hey, I am unemployed and bored!).

However, I find myself in constant need of Klonopin. Not having it will make me sweat and shake. I need my fix! I take about 4mg a day and am supposed to take 2mg. I just tell my mom I am too poor to buy my own meds, so she gives me her script which she doesn't use, and then I have enough for my addiction.

Please, how can I safely detox?

lloooonnnn

Loon-

I'm freaking out right now (not because of anxiety/the big D), but because my pdoc extended my monthlong K addiction by yet another month.  She's always 'hesitant' to give me more of the stuff, always tells me it's addictive, and says that the benefit (for me, helps me sleep more than it is a general anxiolytic) decreases rapidly over time.  So, I don't know why she wrote me another K Rx today.

I kept echoing her words on the evilness of K, as it is much evilness and such, but in the end we mutually realized there were probably no valid alternatives at this point. 

Remeron? I've gained 10 lbs. in 2 weeks, for unknown reasons, as it is with my current meds, don't want that going any further. 

Same with the big Z (which also gave me hellish akasthisia, and I'm prediabetic anyways).  And in that line, no AAPs for me whatsoever (as the big Z should be the mildest for akasthisia). 

Lunesta? Severe nausea from that awful metallic taste. 

Ambien/CR? Regular version has me awake again in 3 hours, even the CR version's effectiveness tapers off almost as quickly as the K.

Rozerem? Interesting new mechanism of action, least addictive 'hypnotic', but the last time I took a similar MT1/2 activator (actual melatonin supplements), I expected to feel well-rested and less depressed, but I ended up a hell of a lot more depressed!!

Please, how can I safely detox?

you can do it

i've been up at 4mg a day.

go REALLY REALLY slow.

try taking 3/4 of two of your pills today

do this for a few days

then take 3/4 of all

do this for a few days.

then 1/2 of each.

few days can mean 3-10 days

go slow

if you get shakes, go back up a bit.

if you take it slow, you'll be fine. i promise.  i've been there and then was able to go back to PRN useage (with a lower tolerance yay)

(i gues 3/4 of a pill is hard to do... hm.)

also, check out this faq on benzo reduction tapering and ask if anythng is confusing, and feel free to PM me.

it's scary, but TOTALLY DOABLE.

good for you for trying to do it the right way

penny

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so far guys for your replies...

Since this new job is making me so insane with anxiety, I gobble my K and when I feel it wearing off, resist more until I totally will fall apart without it, which is the next morning before work. I've reduced my intake to about 1mg, which I feel is all I can do without going postal.

My pdoc says that FOR ME the klonopin remains active about 4-6 hours, so she has me taking .5 at 6AM, Noon, and 6PM, then 1.5 at bedtime (usu. 9PM).  I have a slightly different schedule for when I work nights, like tonight, but I don't feel addicted to klonopin, it is just a tool that I couldn't make it through the day without.  For a while, my anxiety was so bad I was terrified of driving.

Tommy

who might have gotten off topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm lucky. I loooove klonopin but I've never gotten addicted to it. I guess that's because I always had other, better drugs around. Now K is all I got. Maybe a few darvocets, but who cares about that anyway? One day I took 30 .5 pills in one sitting. Needless to say I blacked out. I was very upset about something which is why I did it. So now, I give my Rx to my boyfriend and he gives me my nightly dose.

I'm lucky. I loooove klonopin but I've never gotten addicted to it. I guess that's because I always had other, better drugs around. Now K is all I got. Maybe a few darvocets, but who cares about that anyway? One day I took 30 .5 pills in one sitting. Needless to say I blacked out. I was very upset about something which is why I did it. So now, I give my Rx to my boyfriend and he gives me my nightly dose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear Klonopin is for most people the easiest benzo to quit since it's got the longest half-life (unless you're Her Tommy =P).  I was really afraid (I think I posted earlier in this thread) about not being able to come off - I went from 0.5mg to zero/cold turkey without the slightest problem last week.

Definitely read the posted topics, and follow the link to the paper on safely quitting benzos. Getting off them is not easy for anyone who's been on them for a while. Klonopin is not the longest half-life benzo; people are often switched onto valium as step one of detoxing. I reduced by 1/10-1/8 every couple of weeks or longer depending how I was adjusting, and it took me many months to get off. At this point I'm taking Kava Kava, which works on the same receptor and really took the edge off withdrawal effects when I finally cut my very low remaining dose of Klonopin to zero. However I appear to still have a dependecy -- if I skip the Kava Kava I get panic attacks and dizzy spells. Yay!

You should not be doubling what your pdoc thinks you are on. You're setting yourself up for big trouble down the line. If nothing else, you won't be able to maintain this dose indefinitely. Meanwhile your brain continues to habituate to the drug, increasing the dependency.

I hear Klonopin is for most people the easiest benzo to quit since it's got the longest half-life (unless you're Her Tommy =P).  I was really afraid (I think I posted earlier in this thread) about not being able to come off - I went from 0.5mg to zero/cold turkey without the slightest problem last week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

totally ymmv, because i was on .5-.25 for 5 days once, and cold turkey after that gave me withdrawal effects. not severe but noticable. i still take it PRN.

pj

Oh, my... so you're saying that, because you gave up all the other drugs (which is GOOD), all you've got is klono?  In rehab, that's what they call "cross addiction".  And Darvocet?  With benzos?

http://www.drugs.com/darvocet.html

Money quote:

Drowsiness or dizziness caused by Darvocet may be increased by other drugs such as antidepressants , alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), other pain relievers, anxiety medicines , and muscle relaxants. Together , these medicines may cause dangerous sedation, possibly resulting in unconsciousness or death.

Bolded for your reading edification.

Really, it's something to care about.  And one might wonder (I do) WHY you'd take 30 tabs.  Especially if they're "all you've got now".  It can be a loooong time between refills...  It's good that you have your bf hand them out now, but... from what I've read of your postings elsewhere, it seems the realtionship is a bit rocky?  he might not always be around, y'know.  Getting ahold of any problems now would be an excellent idea, IMO.

Remember, we're here to support each other, and help quit abuse, not talk about lucky we are that we, personally, haven';t gotten addicted.  Me, I don't gab about how certain narcotics have absolutely no effect on me when someone talks about a problem with those substances...unless, it's to say "I feel for ya but I've never been there because..."

I do realize you're going through some tough shit, and you're trying to clean up.  Please, do come to us for help, suggestions, support, or just to bitch when it all seems too much.  We're always here for you.  kinda like that phone list they give you in AA...

• 2 weeks later...

It has been awhile since I've written in this thread...

I'm down to 2mg K a day, and still have the ultra-stressful job. i take my 2mg during the work day and go without for the evening/night when I can meditate to control the stress. But it is about 8:45pm and my anxiety is peaking, and the thumping of my  heart reminds me of my physical (and mental?) addiction.

I always thought addiction happened to "bad" people who had "no self control". I know now that we're normal people who self-medicate, get addicted after a mistake, or just do what the pdoc says and end up like this .I feel like gobbling up my K.

But I'm down to 2mg. Goddess help me.

Loon -- just a couple comments. As you probably know, I have been through many trials and tribulations with Klonopin, and I remember having the nighttime anxiety thing. I found it far better to split the dose into 3 times a day -- waking, 6 hours before bed, and one right in between (like 1 pm). Klonopin diminishes faster than you might think, and when the brain is well habituated to it, it is very common for people to experience an oscillation between baseline and withdrawal states between doses! This is the big reason people are often switched onto a longer acting benzo like Valium when kicking Klonopin, as Valium can be tapered with less ups and downs.

Also just to let you know, or remind you, that the anxiety and other disturbances have more to do with withdrawal than your natural baseline. That doesn't mean that your baseline isn't anxious, just that however anxious or calm you are naturally, you will be much much more anxious than that when having withdrawal effects.

Oh and I feel obligated to point out, if you're doing Buddhist meditation (not sure if this applies to all types of meditation; probably not), that meditation can faciliate greater calm and a greater ability to find calm over time, but that in any given session of meditation it is just as likely to increase anxiety as diminish it. My most common experience is that I find some calm *while* meditating, if only because I realize I can't be off doing something else related to my anxiety, but that after meditating if I'm really stressed, this will come back pretty quickly. So meditation is VERY GOOD and has been shown to dramatically reduce anxiety, depression, negative thinking, insomnia over long periods, but I'm not sure it's a match for the decreased Klonopin nighttime jitters thing.

It seems like everything is together on the outside, and I'm a wreck inside. I'm trying to stay on my RXed dose of Klonopin, attempting to make myself eat, hoping I don't have ADD and it is just BP acting up, and fighting weird moods. In all this mess, somehow, I have to close my dad's estate and get on with life.

Klonopin controls my anxiety, but it controls me as well. Not eating controls my need to control, but it controls me as well. Both are addictions.

• 5 years later...

I would stay away from those Darvocets if I were you, actually you should probably throw them out so you don't end up taking them. Because of the terrible and sometimes deadly side effects of Darvocet, including serious heart problems, consumer rights groups have been trying to get that drug banned for over thirty years, and only recently has the FDA finally pulled the plug on them and taken them off of the market. Darvocet was linked to 2110 accidental deaths between 1981 and 1999. If you are looking for a pain medication, there are plenty other ones available that do not come with the risks of Darvocet, and do the job a lot better, at least in my opinion. I haven't taken Darvocet for about 8 years since I heard the news about how bad it was for your heart. I think you are probably better off sticking to your benzos ;)

I would stay away from those Darvocets if I were you, actually you should probably throw them out so you don't end up taking them.

That's nice to show concern, but I am willing to bet that divinedesign21 no longer has those Darvocet-- that message was posted five years ago. :)

yah, i mean hey i was pretty sold on klonopin for awhile, long half life not!!!

but geeze when that half life is over, shit hits the fan! like i dont know but with me it seems that the effects go by quickly and 5 hours later im like really bitchy and crawling out my skin bitchy like i just wanna pull out someone's spinal column like in mortal combat(sorry for the graphicness) that's why i rarely use them, and only use them if i happen to be on a therapeutic dose of an antidepressant.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have enough to do this....try this technique to avoid withdrawal.. Buy a pill cutter. Take 3.5mg the first day...then 3mg for the next 3 days, then 2.5mg for the next two days..then you will be at your 2mg prescribed to you. If you want wean off completely, I would keep cutting Down by half a mg and stay at that mg for three days until you get to .5mg then take that for about two days and then you should be off. I did this when i was weaning off of klonopin last time I was on it.

Good luck! I hope this made some sort of sense. Pm me if you need me re-explain my mumbo jumbo.

Archived