CrazyBoards.org

Rexulti  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried or been on Rexulti for bipolar disorder?

• Yes, but I am not on it currently
    • No I have not
    • No, but I have tried another antipsychotic
    • Yes, and I am still on it

Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experiences with the medication Rexulti (brexpiprazole)? My psychiatrist chose to give this a try (2mg) after evaluating and attempting to treat my persistent manic symptoms -- I would go days without sleeping and not feel tired, racing ideas and thoughts, increased in "goal-directed" activity like cleaning the kitchen for hours and sexual promiscuity, inflated self-esteem, inattention or inability to focus, pressured speech, rapid talking, and hyperactivity. Seroquel is super effective for stopping my mania but the negative cognitive effect and zombification I experienced were too much, and this was only at 50-100mg

If you have tried Rexulti please share your experiences with it in terms of treating your symptoms of bipolar disorder, whether or not it worked for you, side effects you experiences, and the main symptoms that resulted in you trying this medication. So far it has been about a week on Rexulti 2mg, and I am beginning to notice a slight increased in motivation and better time-management, which really surprised me given my past experiences with AAPs. This could be due to other medication, as my dexedrine dose has increased from 40mg to 60mg, but I have been on this high of a dose in the past and not noticed the increased thought organization and motivation to complete tasks/assignments before the last minute. It hasn't directly induced sleep as Seroquel did, but I do notice I am getting on a better schedule.

Also, if you have not tried Rexulti but have been on Abilify (aripiprazole), I would be happy to hear your experiences as well, given that the two are similar in structure and chemical composition (I acknowledge that despite this, the two can still have very different and distinct effects). 

• Like 1

It's different enough from Abilify that it's hard to compare the two, other than having a similar MOA. The side-effect profile is much better for Rexulti. It has been the wonder drug for me. It's obliterated my depression, but as it turns out, I am very sensitive to the dosing effects (ie: I need to take it at roughly the same time every day.) I have some sedation in the daytime, but nothing at night. It also keeps my anxiety at a manageable level. I can't say enough good things about it, especially compared to every other AP I've tried (see my sig.) It keeps me functional, and combined with Trileptal, has reduced my 2-3 week rapid cycle to a 2-3 month cycle. Nothing's perfect, but it makes life livable. I love it.

On 5/25/2017 at 11:31 AM, dtac said:

It's different enough from Abilify that it's hard to compare the two, other than having a similar MOA. The side-effect profile is much better for Rexulti. It has been the wonder drug for me. It's obliterated my depression, but as it turns out, I am very sensitive to the dosing effects (ie: I need to take it at roughly the same time every day.) I have some sedation in the daytime, but nothing at night. It also keeps my anxiety at a manageable level. I can't say enough good things about it, especially compared to every other AP I've tried (see my sig.) It keeps me functional, and combined with Trileptal, has reduced my 2-3 week rapid cycle to a 2-3 month cycle. Nothing's perfect, but it makes life livable. I love it.

Interesting, I have noticed minimal daytime sedation somewhat as well, but nothing anywhere close to what I had with other AAPs like Seroquel. I'm glad to hear someone else is having a positive, very limited-side effect profile experience with Rexulti. I cannot say enough good about it either.

I am very rapid cycler too!! This is exactly what my pdoc is attempting to solve with this med. I am a 1-3 week rapid cycler, mania being more common than bipolar depression, and since being on Rexulti (going on 2 weeks now) I haven't experienced much mania at all, or depression these past 2 weeks. I am hoping for these benefits to stay around for a while :D

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 4:33 PM, mmaryland said:

Interesting, I have noticed minimal daytime sedation somewhat as well, but nothing anywhere close to what I had with other AAPs like Seroquel. I'm glad to hear someone else is having a positive, very limited-side effect profile experience with Rexulti. I cannot say enough good about it either.

I am very rapid cycler too!! This is exactly what my pdoc is attempting to solve with this med. I am a 1-3 week rapid cycler, mania being more common than bipolar depression, and since being on Rexulti (going on 2 weeks now) I haven't experienced much mania at all, or depression these past 2 weeks. I am hoping for these benefits to stay around for a while :D

I've been on it for almost 15mo now, and it's been consistent. Takes about a month to level out totally due to the insane half-life. For some reason I am sensitive to the dose timing (AM/PM/Whenever I feel like it) so I have to be consistent. If I switch it up, I get some side effects.. pdoc just had me move it from AM to bedtime and it triggered a depressive episode. Not thrilled about that, but I'll see what happens once it levels back out.

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2017 at 6:18 PM, ByePolarCoordinates said:

It helped dig me out of a hole but has managed to make me manic twice, even after getting to 4 mg with other things in my cocktail. Have since been taken off of it and switched back to Saphris for the time being... we shall see. 

Yea the past 3 months I cut my meds back without docs approval so just had been on dextroamphetamine, valium, seroquel for insomnia and strattera. I had stopped the Vraylar because of the crazy long half life of 2-5 days meaning it can take a long time for it to clear your system and just wanted to be on monotherapy antipsychotic. Well I have been depressed and anxious so I started back on rexulti to control my mood better and still at 1mg. Tapering slow because scared of akathisia