CrazyBoards.org

Reducing Caffeine

So... as many of you know, I'm going off klonz and onto Valium. The reason was terrible, awful anxiety and physical symptoms that wouldn't go away when taking the klonopin. So I also decided to cut out/down on caffeine. I read you can have 1 cup of coffee or 1 cola a day. I'd been drinking 1 energy drink (180mg-280mg) daily, which may have added to the anxiety. I didn't realize it, I've always just been a tired person and needed to be AWAKE.

Now that I'm off the energy drinks, how much coffee/cola should I be having do you think? None? I need something to keep me perked up. I can't fall asleep at my job (again). So now I am not sure what to do, or how much caffeine really effects me. I don't want any anxiety. But I do want to be alert. Crap.

I find this to be iffy. I talked to my pdoc yesterday about my caffeine consumption and my anxiety, and he didn't find that volume of caffeine to be much of a contribution. I drink on average 1 energy drink a day, and it doesn't seem to affect it. My anxiety is just as bad with caffeine as it is without it (if not worse!) Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others, so you may want to try it for a couple of days and see how your anxiety responds. I've tried reducing/cutting caffeine intake, and it barely affects anything for me, other than upsetting my GI system if I have too much.

Caffeine affects me greatly, I literally cannot drink a cup of coffee past 9am, it will mess with my bedtime of 10pm. So, I would go with, eliminate it? Is it possible for you to get more sleep at night? I know when I go to bed earlier than usual, I wake more energized.

Honestly? Ice water helps me more than caffeine. 

I do believe that caffeine keeping you up is a bit of a factoid. At first it might do so but afterwards it makes you dependant on it to stay at a normal fatigue level. Or something like that anyway. I think what I would do is just have caffeinated things rarely when you really need a pick up rather than make it a daily 'supplement' - if you like. 

7 hours ago, Southern Discomfort said:

I do believe that caffeine keeping you up is a bit of a factoid. At first it might do so but afterwards it makes you dependant on it to stay at a normal fatigue level. 

I admit I'm VERY dependent on coffee.....Never have liked those energy drinks though, and don't drink soda either.

Can't get through the day without coffee, I've been drinking 4-6 cups a day since high school....However, now that I have some sleep issues, I do make sure I don't drink it after around 2pm.

I do have anxiety disorders, but coffee never seems to increase the anxiety I already have.

Guess we're all different......

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Another thing that pops into my mind is that if you have a poor posture that can also make you feel more fatigued because you're not able to get the proper amount of oxygen into your lungs. I'm trying my best to correct mine now, I bought a back support brace and that really works. Just a thought. There's lots of little things you can do to try and improve your energy levels.

Coffee was my family's drink of choice so I drank coffee since as long as I can remember. We used to have a snack before going to bed that included a cup of coffee, and it never kept me up at night. I drink a lot of coffee now - around a pot a day - and it doesn't keep me up. Am I dependent? Maybe, but if I don't get coffee because I'm too busy on a certain day, I suffer no ill effects. It's just a drink to me. A drink with very few calories unlike sodas or juice. So I either drink black coffee or water but I always have something by my side as my meds make my mouth so dry.

I don't drink it a lot, but when I do, caffeine in general doesn't do anything for me.  I could drink it a 9 PM and fall right to sleep.

Actually, now that I am thinking about it, there is caffeine in Excedrin, which I take all the time, and it doesn't effect me and sleep (my blood pressure either).  Sometimes I am so anxious from the pain (and unable to sleep) that that in itself keeps me up ... but when I take the Excedrin and the pain lessens, I fall asleep.  The caffeine actually helps, along with the aspirin and acetaminophen combo.

Edited by melissaw72
spelled a word wrong

I don't think caffiene really affects me. I can have like two or three cups of coffee, and still be tired and wanna sleep. It takes like, two, probably three energy drinks for me to get remotely hyper. Like one after the other. Otherwise, i'm one of those people who caffiene can put TO SLEEP. I don't have ADHD, either. I have an ex who said caffiene made him tired?(he's got ADHD). Apparently though, it's common for caffiene to screw with anxiety because it makes your thoughts and yourself, go at 1000 mph. it really does depend on the person, if you wanna cut it out, that's on you. but I would do it slowly.

On 5/27/2017 at 3:54 PM, Southern Discomfort said:

Another thing that pops into my mind is that if you have a poor posture that can also make you feel more fatigued because you're not able to get the proper amount of oxygen into your lungs.

100% agree.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had anxiety my whole life, but I drink caffeine in boatloads.  Off the meds and on the meds.

Honestly I don't think caffeine is the cause of the anxiety....however I think the caffeine CAN aggravate symptoms if you're in that hyper vigilant state....but when I'm in that state, typically everything bothers me....So if I have a headache, maybe that cancer...if I feel some tingling I must have diabetes.....and then drinking a soda might cause heart to beat a lil faster...therefore I'm having a panic attack.

• 1 month later...

Quitting caffeine was one of the best things I ever did personally. I didn't quit because of anxiety. Rather, I was having stomach issues at the time and stopped to see if eliminating the acidity of coffee would help. It did. I don't think coffee was the cause but it was hindering healing. But you know what else improved? My sleep. Greatly. Also, the chronic headaches I used to get pretty much went away when I stopped. Which is weird because caffeine is actually used to treat headaches but they stopped when I stopped the caffeine. I was never a big drinker. About 3 cups in the morning. Usually done by 9 or 10AM. It made more sense when I did the 23andme DNA test a couple of years later and discovered I'm a very slow metabolizer of caffeine. Caffeine is a drug and it has a half life like everything else. Some people might be surprised to know that the half life is about 5-6 hours in an average person. That's actually quite a long time. Now if you're a slow metabolizer its going to be even longer.

2 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

And I have the slowest metabolism ever. 

That's not the same thing as being a slow metabolizer of caffeine. I'm not talking about metabolic rate. When I said I am a slow metabolizer of caffeine I am deficient in CYP1A2, the enzyme that metabolizes caffeine. The DNA test gave me results of how I metabolize many different drugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP1A2

Edited by quiet storm