CrazyBoards.org

Valium vs xanax

Hi all,

So I have had 2 seizures throughout my entire year and a half treatment with xanax 1-2mg per day and now my pdoc wants to move over to valium and eventually only use valium with no xanax. This definitly makes me uneasy because xanax is one of the only benzos that gives me a great benefit/side fx ratio and I get scared changing things in my med regimen that already work. Has anyone else taken both of these medications for anxiety? If so, did you find that valium was more effective than the xanax? 

besides the two benzos above, does anyone know which other benzos provider longer duration and stronger anti-seizure properties, or if valium would be the best 

4 hours ago, mmaryland said:

besides the two benzos above, does anyone know which other benzos provider longer duration and stronger anti-seizure properties,

Klonopin maybe?  It is a benzo that treats seizures, and anxiety.  I take it more for anxiety. 

I have complex-partial but I haven't had a seizure in years. (Not saying that it definitely was because of the klonopin, but it might have helped in some way).  I take 0.5 mg 3x/day.

8 hours ago, mmaryland said:

Hi all,

So I have had 2 seizures throughout my entire year and a half treatment with xanax 1-2mg per day and now my pdoc wants to move over to valium and eventually only use valium with no xanax. This definitly makes me uneasy because xanax is one of the only benzos that gives me a great benefit/side fx ratio and I get scared changing things in my med regimen that already work. Has anyone else taken both of these medications for anxiety? If so, did you find that valium was more effective than the xanax? 

besides the two benzos above, does anyone know which other benzos provider longer duration and stronger anti-seizure properties, or if valium would be the best 

I've tried both.  Xanax is like "pow" but it wears off so quickly that I didn't find it too be that great.   PDoc said he hates Xanax because in his opinion that "pow" is what makes people like using it too much.  The short lived part of it naturally makes them want to take it more often and then you have someone with a problem.  That not only scared me but I frankly thought its worthless to have an anxiety attack and chill it out for a tiny amount of time (Then it comes back)    So...  Valium.   To me at the dose I take it kind of leaves me feeling normal.  If I'm having a panic attack and take a Valium its not like POW your feeling doped up for a little while its more like "Wait?  Wasn't I freaking out a little while ago?"  Oh...  Thats why God invented Valium.   I told my TDoc about a particularly bad time and how that seemed like a Valium worthy time and she "BLANK Yeah"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mmaryland said:

Has anyone else taken both of these medications for anxiety? If so, did you find that valium was more effective than the xanax? 

I take both xanax and valium.

The valium I use for social anxiety, performance anxiety, panic attacks.
I use xanax as a sleep aide. It works WONDERFULLY.

I have taken a valium at night when I don't want to take a xanax. I try not to take a sleep aide EVERY night or at least take a small dose. Every since my husband left me however I have taken xanax for sleep. But I use the smallest possible dose and sometimes use my 5 mg. pill of valium instead.

Xanax makes me SO sleepy I would never use it during the day. Valium is a better med for anxiety. It works lighter and has the same effect. I do not take the generic diazepem - I love my little yellow pill with the heart in the center. lol

On 5/26/2017 at 0:03 PM, water said:

I take both xanax and valium.

The valium I use for social anxiety, performance anxiety, panic attacks.
I use xanax as a sleep aide. It works WONDERFULLY.

I have taken a valium at night when I don't want to take a xanax. I try not to take a sleep aide EVERY night or at least take a small dose. Every since my husband left me however I have taken xanax for sleep. But I use the smallest possible dose and sometimes use my 5 mg. pill of valium instead.

Xanax makes me SO sleepy I would never use it during the day. Valium is a better med for anxiety. It works lighter and has the same effect. I do not take the generic diazepem - I love my little yellow pill with the heart in the center. lol

I like this idea of taking the Valium regularly, each night, to protect me from benzo withdrawal seizures and taking Xanax very acutely, for me it doesn't make me sleepy but is wonderful for presentation and specific phobias.
For me, I had my seizures because there would be days, perhaps a week or 2 at a time, where I did not feel super anxious and would just not think about taking Xanax until I found myself waking up in the back of an ambulance and realizing I hadn't taken Xanax in a week or 2. I too have been finding generic diazepam inconsistent, so will request the brand Valium next time my script is written. 

On 5/26/2017 at 11:42 AM, HAL9000 said:

I've tried both.  Xanax is like "pow" but it wears off so quickly that I didn't find it too be that great.   PDoc said he hates Xanax because in his opinion that "pow" is what makes people like using it too much.  The short lived part of it naturally makes them want to take it more often and then you have someone with a problem.  That not only scared me but I frankly thought its worthless to have an anxiety attack and chill it out for a tiny amount of time (Then it comes back)    So...  Valium.   To me at the dose I take it kind of leaves me feeling normal.  If I'm having a panic attack and take a Valium its not like POW your feeling doped up for a little while its more like "Wait?  Wasn't I freaking out a little while ago?"  Oh...  Thats why God invented Valium.   I told my TDoc about a particularly bad time and how that seemed like a Valium worthy time and she "BLANK Yeah"

I think this "pow" from Xanax is what led me to not want to take this medication everyday. I didn't want to feel this absolute absence of anxiety accompanied by the opposite feeling 4-6 hours after my last Xanax dose, like you said, and sometimes would take an entire day's dose (2mg) at once to see if it would last any longer, but no real improvement. If anything, this contributed to my benzo withdrawal seizures. I tried asking about Xanax XR but was told it is more or less very similar, and valium was overall a better choice.
I have not experienced a 'high' feeling with Valium, which I really do like because I tend to enjoy this 'high' feeling and subsequently abuse the medication (see my sig, I am currently in remission). Since Valium does not have this effect, I don't see myself having an issue taking this medication as prescribed. The more subtle actions of Valium in relieving anxiety also seem more sustainable than Xanax's quick fix, IMO.

On 5/26/2017 at 7:21 AM, melissaw72 said:

Klonopin maybe?  It is a benzo that treats seizures, and anxiety.  I take it more for anxiety. 

I have complex-partial but I haven't had a seizure in years. (Not saying that it definitely was because of the klonopin, but it might have helped in some way).  I take 0.5 mg 3x/day.

I see in your sig that you are on both Xanax and Klonopin. Is the Xanax used on a PRN basis only? If so, how is this going? I like the effectiveness of Xanax but hate the addictive nature that accompanies it if you take it on a regular dosing schedule. The idea of being on Valium daily and using Xanax only a few times a month seems really appealing to me, once I finally get tapered over to Valium completely, so please tell me how this (Xanax w/ Klonopin) has been working out for you

1 minute ago, mmaryland said:

I see in your sig that you are on both Xanax and Klonopin. Is the Xanax used on a PRN basis only? If so, how is this going? I like the effectiveness of Xanax but hate the addictive nature that accompanies it if you take it on a regular dosing schedule. The idea of being on Valium daily and using Xanax only a few times a month seems really appealing to me, once I finally get tapered over to Valium completely, so please tell me how this (Xanax w/ Klonopin) has been working out for you

Yes, the xanax is for PRN only.  It is going great ... for the breakthrough anxiety, I don't even need much (0.25 mg, usually less), and it helps when needed. 

My pdoc just recently increased klonopin to 0.5 mg 3x/day.  I find that for me, taking klonopin on a regular basis/schedule (3x/day) to be much more helpful than as needed (which doesn't help me at all).  Also, taking klonopin on a regular basis makes it so the need the xanax is much less.

I didn't find long-acting benzos to work very well for my anxiety, especially if it ramped up all of a sudden. Valium was better than Klonopin, but not by much. For me, it would take 20-40mg of Valium to really kill my anxiety when it peaked. Xanax, OTOH, works much better, faster, lower dosing, and is predictable. I know a lot of pdocs don't like it because of the high rate of abuse, but if you're taking it responsibly, why switch? Your dosing is within normal guidelines. Pdoc preference?

Klonopin is longer-acting and is better at preventing seizures. Some people here love it because it is long-acting and tends to suppress generalized anxiety. I found it to be mostly worthless at 2-4mg for me, but I think I am odd when it comes to benzos.

3 hours ago, Iceberg said:

It's unfortunate that Xanax gets that stigma...I kno people where it's the only thing that helps

It is unfortunate because I am finding Valium to make me more sleepy than relieving my anxiety and making me tired all day, especially if I take a dose high enough to really help my anxiety (10mg-15mg). It's not unreasonable to my pdoc to want to wean my off Xanax given my 2 seizures during my past treatment with Xanax. I am going to propose to my pdoc this Friday to have Xanax back as needed, and see how it goes from there. I would love for Valium to help as much as Xanax does with my anxiety and feelings of panic, but it just isn't cutting it.
I'm not currently a hot mess or having panic attacks consistently, but have a general baseline level of uncomfortable feelings consisting of heart palpitations, cold sweats, shakiness, and negative racing thoughts. This is particularly higher in social situations. Paxil helped great in this area but I was manic as ever when I was on Paxil before. It's a shame that SSRIs have the risk of inducing mania, especially in patients who already suffer from Bipolar Disorder. 

On 5/31/2017 at 0:14 PM, dtac said:

I didn't find long-acting benzos to work very well for my anxiety, especially if it ramped up all of a sudden. Valium was better than Klonopin, but not by much. For me, it would take 20-40mg of Valium to really kill my anxiety when it peaked. Xanax, OTOH, works much better, faster, lower dosing, and is predictable. I know a lot of pdocs don't like it because of the high rate of abuse, but if you're taking it responsibly, why switch? Your dosing is within normal guidelines. Pdoc preference?

Klonopin is longer-acting and is better at preventing seizures. Some people here love it because it is long-acting and tends to suppress generalized anxiety. I found it to be mostly worthless at 2-4mg for me, but I think I am odd when it comes to benzos.

I really had high hopes for Valium and the other long acting benzos, but that have proved ineffective for me as well. I am still going to continue on Valium under the recommendations of my pdoc, but might consider trying Klonopin again. My past experience of Klonopin left me feeling apathetic and less motivated overall after daily dosing of Klonopin for a few days, so I stopped taking it and went back to Xanax. I was having seizures because I had trouble taking the correct dosage. Either I would take too much or not enough, leaving me with none at the end of the month for usually a week and a half, thus obviously I was at risk for having a seizure. 
This is why I am wishing my pdoc to give me Xanax XR because I had it before, and felt it had very minimal abuse potential compared to regular Xanax and was more consistent in therapeutic effects. But yes, my pdoc does prefer Klonopin over the rest of the benzos.  

48 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

How is the XR? Never tried it

The XR version of Xanax provides the anxiety relief of regular Xanax, but without the 'high' or 'euphoric' feelings one may get from immediate release. This is why I prefer the XR version because, to me, it has less abuse potential. Yea you could try to take 3 or 4 of the 2mg XR tablets, but there is no real high associated with the XR version compared to the IR version.

I really like Xanax XR for its therapeutic benefits and less abuse potential. It works just as well as the regular version and would recommend giving it a try if you are having any consistency issues with regular Xanax or just want to take a benzo once a day instead of multiple times.