CrazyBoards.org

I have taken the MMPI and Goldberg scale. They both have schizoaffective disoder as very prominent. The psychologist at the time, gave the MMPI to me and when I saw all the schizo results..he said "Now don't go worrying about it". Huh.

I know he is right..the med is what counts.

My

Blackcat- just wanted to say, please try not to worry too much about this. I don't know how these tests you've taken work- if you had BP I w/psychosis (like me) would that indicate strong results on the schizo component of the test, or are the questions done such that the psychotic features that can occur with BP I are scored on a seperate part of the test?

Disorganised thinking and paranoia are part of other disorders- for example the last couple of weeks I've apparently been very manic (thought was totally unaware of it) and was v paranoid- had all sorts of crazy ideas about camera in my house/being followed/being experiented on/poisoned by my doctors.

I guess I'm just saying please try to relax, which I know is easier said then done. I know schizoaffective is considered a form of schizophrenia, but is it so much of a world apart from BPI w/ psycho? I actually don't know the answer to that question lol.

Anyway, I'm blathering on now, but my thoughts are with you.

I know schizoaffective is considered a form of schizophrenia, but is it so much of a world apart from BPI w/ psycho

I really like the way you put that. It's a hard question, depending on severity and personal reasoning. But it's true. "Schizoaffective" is a scary word. People think with that, and they get all sorts of ideas. But (seemingly) with your current, it doesn't seem much of a jump. Its easy to slide over into that other category. But even with that, it can still seem far way from severe Schizophrenic reactions.

Testing can be odd, sometimes vague. With such, it can be extremely hard to detect from something like Schizoaffective, and your current diagnosis. I know you "want to know" but it is best to wait and let your Pdoc get to know you and understand what is really going on. It's better to be thourough and timely than to be off track and quick.

Have you told your family and friends your current diagnosis? If so, then I'm sure they would be equally understanding with (if necessary) a new diagnosis. If not, I'm sure they know something's up. Telling them what is truely going on (no matter what the DX) can be important and useful for you and them.

I realy hope things go well for you, and wish the outcome doesn't show severity. Keep us posted ;) Good luck.

Twitch

My girlfriend's son was diagnosed as schitzoeffective at 14...then undiagnosed by a different doctor who thought he was bipolar...then rediagnosed by yet another doctor...back and forth...back and forth. Each time, the new doctor would change his meds and the poor kid would flip out. 4 years later, they have decided that yes, he is schitzoeffective, but maybe with a side of bipolar. Maybe.

During all this drama, nobody bothered to pay attention to weather or not his meds were working before they changed his meds to fit their own ideas about what his condition was. He has gone full circle back to what he was initially on at 14.

The line between bipolar and schitzoeffective is not always clear. They may just be 2 different points on a very large and interesting spectrum. Does it really matter what they call it if what you take helps you become stable and funtional?

Yes, schizoaffective disorder is very hard to correctly diagnose. For many years, people with BP w/ psychotic features were very often misdiagnosed with schizophrenia. A correct diagnosis of schizoaffective does require time for your pdoc to get to know you and taking extra time is important. Pdoc needs to look for patterns of beahviors and psychotic symptoms during a mood episode and in the absence of a mood episode.

Give your new pdoc some time to get your medications worked out. And then, you can explore an exact diagnosis together. I drive my pdoc crazy sometimes with my need to know even though I am aware that it takes time to find the right combinations of meds. But I need to know!

As far as tests and results, tests are used as diagnositic tools. Results may indicate or point to a particular diagnosis but should be used as a direction for treatment. No test alone can offer a definitive diagnosis, thoughts and behavior need to be observed by a professional to confirm a diagnosis. And as has been said this takes time.

Good luck with the new pdoc.

Erika

I htink that schizo ANYTHING is so negative to the public...maybe more than BP? I hate that mean spirited people even use MI words /expressions, to insult others. You wouldn't make remarks about someone having a gall bladder operation, or having  a heart condition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I think whenever the word schizo-*insert phrase/label* is used it scares the crap out of the general public. I still get mad whenever I hear, see (on TV or in a book, etc) a person say someone is schizophrenic because the person has multiple personalities. Not the same thing at all! Not that it may be possible to suffer from some type of schizophrenia and Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID, formerly Multiple Personality Disorder), the incorrect definition only leads to further misinformation/misunderstanding for the general public concerning the facts and myths that exist about both disorders.

Mental illnesses still carry a heavy stigma in our society. I don't hear people saying, "Geez, you are such a cancer case"! 

Slightly off topic ... but not so much

Erika

I own a CD of the late  comedian, Mitch Hedburg He does a very brief routine where he says, "Alcoholism is the only disease where you get yelled at for having it!"

Then he says.."Otto, you are an ALCOHOLIC!!

Then.."Otto, you have LUPUS!!

Then Mitch says, "There's something wrong with that."

That's how I feel about MI. We are struggling along and yeah..

I just can't imagine someone saying to a sick person, "Geez, you are such a cancer case".. then throw in, "are you off your meds? Do you WANT to be sick or what??"

Heya,

Further off-topic:

For the record, I'm a hardass.

My patients know I'll tell them what I think.

I *have* been known to say, "Look, if you don't take this medication, you will have a massive stroke.  And you likely won't die.  You likely will be unable to walk or talk, or maybe be unable to read, and be kept alive like that."

But, it's true that I would *never* say, "You are *such* an aortic stenosis case."

Likewise, I wouldn't say that about MI.

But *lots* of us do.  And will, for quite some time.

Stupid professionals.  This does *not* help alleviate the stigma.

I'm sorry on our behalf.

At any rate, BlackCat, the label is useful for your doc, but just focus on getting better, okay?

How's that for a CB cliche?

;)

--ncc--

;) Hi ncc,

'Well, I am a very outspoken person , so hardass is ok.. :) Just so you have empathy and it sounds like you  still do.  I do get that we need to take our meds.

My Pdoc is nice but I know now, as opposed to the beginning , that we have to take our meds as prescribed. I just resent the ER help when they ask it with a sigh and dirty look. If they are that burnt out, maybe get a transfer. One guy did not look at me ONCE while asking me questions. I am NOT stupid, just have MI.

Howerver as you pointed out..you don't blame the person or make fun of them for having a condition, esp an MI. That's just wrong.

I was also kinda of getting at this..if you read something, (not obsessively checking on symptoms, I mean)  just reading, and you recognize yourself, is that something you should mention to your Doc? Cause an old beloved, Therapist of mine did not mind and actually considered it, listened to me.

I was also kinda of getting at this..if you read something, (not obsessively checking on symptoms, I mean)  just reading, and you recognize yourself, is that something you should mention to your Doc? Cause an old beloved, Therapist of mine did not mind and actually considered it, listened to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is important, perhaps even vital, to report any symptoms you are having to any doctor who is seeing you for any condition. As you say BlackCat, I agree there is a difference between recognizing some symptoms in one's self as opposed to obsessively checking on symptoms for any disease and assuming one may have a disease -- some people spend their lives doing the latter.

Erika

*edited for typos

BlackCat,

Click on My Controls located on the right side of the bar where it says logged in as: then, on the left of the page scroll down and you will see a section Personal Profile, click "Edit Avatar Settings". Maddy has pre-installed avatars you can choose from, a drop down menu appears with categories of avatars to choose from. Find one you like and then click the Go! button. If you want to add an avatar you find somewhere else that can be done too. Send me a PM if you need some more help or want to add an avatar that is not pre-installed on the site.

Erika

*edited for typos*

Archived