CrazyBoards.org

Ritalin: finding right dosage?

Starting Ritalin again and I'm finding that I don't feel it "kicking in" like i have in the past. In the past it decreased my appetite which it isn't doing now. Does this mean I am not quite on the right dosage? Only difference is now I'm on RitalinLA instead of RitalinSR. I can't tell if it's doing anything this time around... I'll check with pdoc, but should I go up to 30mg?

Edited by Blahblah

Well, I take 10 mg if IR Ritalin three times a day = 30 mg/day. I'm not sure that I would even feel it if I took less as a extended release. But that's me. I still don't feel like I'm at my ideal dose. My ideal dose would be 40 mg. I'd like to be able to take a 10 mg tablet in the early evening to stop the evening anxiety that I get. But I don't want to push it with my doctor since Ritalin is just an augmentation to my other meds. It doesn't do much for my depression, but it keeps me awake and helps me concnetrate and helps with anxiety.

Talk to your doctor. He should be willing to raise your dose a little. When I went from 20 to 30 mg, my pdoc had no problem with it. One word of advice: Do not raise your dose on your own and work with your doctor. That will build trust with your doctor and he will know that you are responsible enough to trust with stimulants.

Thanks @jt07 Seems like most people here are on Adderall for some reason...I'm not sure why?

I find that it quells some of the anxiety I feel too - it's calming but really keeps me awake, more engaged/focused on what I need to do, it helps with boring detailed work. I have noticed I have less negative ruminations too. I get stuff done which in turn helps the depression. I only hope it lasts. I've had several doctors tell me that it is not a long-term solution because tolerance develops quickly and then it doesn't do much. we shall see.

It is a bear to initially get it prescribed here, so I will tread carefully with asking for any raise in dosage. I hope to go to 30mg. I know the IR has a stronger initial "kick" but I also feel a stronger dip when it wears off & I certainly don't want to trigger downward mood episodes since I am currently stable.

I have been taking Ritalin since 2011, and if I have a tolerance, it is small. Ritalin still works for me. It was originally prescribed to me for motivation, but I can say that it never really helped with motivation (Abilify did help though). What it does for me is helps me to wake up, keeps me awake, and helps me focus. I have sleep apnea so keeping me awake is a big thing to me. And, as I mentioned, it does help me with anxiety.

I have never taken Adderall, but I have taken Dexadrine (D-amphetamine), and to me Ritalin is much more mild. I couldn't handle amphetamine. I began to develop psychotic symptoms.

Yes, I started the Abilify after I was already taking Ritalin. I find that the Ritalin and Abilify work well together because they are both activating for me. Not sure which is augmenting which but there is a synergism between them. The Abilify mainly augments the citalopam.

• Like 1