CrazyBoards.org

Trouble with attention

Hello everyone!

So, since the last time I was on here, I was cycling around so many different medicines due to insurance issues. Well, now I'm on Abilify and I'm doing great! I have stable moods without the anger that happened with Latuda, but I still have one little issue. I can't pay attention to things all that well. I'm wanting to read a book right now, for example, but the very thought of sitting and reading as opposed to just listening to the book is bringing me actual anxiety because I have to pay attention patiently. It's not even that long of a book, it's only 248 pages with medium sized text.

I was thinking of adding an antidepressant to take with my Abilify to help me with my motivation and anxiety. Do you think it might help with attention as well? If so, could you say what has worked for your attention span?

Edited by Bimbo Bear

Antidepressants just made me more apathetic and unmotivated. 20 years ago I could drink 3-4 coffees and feel motivated to study, read etc (now coffee does nothing)

Only thing that really has helped me with focus/attention & getting things done is a stimulant.

17 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Antidepressants just made me more apathetic and unmotivated. 20 years ago I could drink 3-4 coffees and feel motivated to study, read etc (now coffee does nothing)

Only thing that really has helped me with focus/attention & getting things done is a stimulant.

That's interesting. I ended up looking into that and one thing led to another and... long story short, I think I'm going to ask my pdoc to screen me for ADHD. I took some tests for the symptoms  (which I have exhibited since childhood) and got very high scores on each test, so... I think it's worth looking into.

I'm just wondering how this will work out. I'm scared my pdoc won't prescribe me anything for the attention because I'm bipolar II. And what if she doesn't believe me? This is making me nervous.

I had what I thought was ADD and my psychiatrist at the time sent me to a clinical psychologist for testing to see if I could be given medications for ADD. It turns out I was just mildly depressed which apparently can effect your attention span in vast ways. So yeah maybe an anti depressant would help. 

28 minutes ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

I had what I thought was ADD and my psychiatrist at the time sent me to a clinical psychologist for testing to see if I could be given medications for ADD. It turns out I was just mildly depressed which apparently can effect your attention span in vast ways. So yeah maybe an anti depressant would help. 

Gosh how I hate how things can overlap like that. It makes things so much more confusing.

But yeah. I'm hoping I can get my pdoc to prescribe me Wellbutrin along with my Abilify. I've read what other people have said about this combination and it looks like it's worth a shot. I just want to be functional and for all this to be over. My mental illnesses are such a headache.

On 6/2/2017 at 9:04 AM, Bimbo Bear said:

I just want to be functional and for all this to be over. My mental illnesses are such a headache.

I have ADD and BP II and also take Abilify.  I can not concentrate to save my life.  I need to be really motivated to focus and getting to that point is a chore. I hear your pain.  Dealing with these mental illnesses is a full time job while having a full time job.  

• Like 1