CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc prescribed Propranolol for akathisia after unsuccessful attempts with Cogentin (fatigue), Artane (fatigue, memory issues), and Amantadine (worsened my symptoms). Right now the dose is 10-20mg up to three times daily. What is everyone's experience with Propranolol? I took it a number of years ago and don't recall it helping much, but I forget what dose I was on (probably on something too low knowing my old pdoc).

Edited by Swamp56
Forgot word in sentence

I was prescribed Propanolol while I was incarcerated to counteract Akathisia being caused by the 5mg Zyprexa which I was being forced to take at the time. They had to monitor my blood pressure the entire time I was taking it. It was started at a low dose of 10mg and gradually increased to 30mg by the time I started refusing it. From what I recall it didn't have much of an effect if any on the underlying Akathisia. It did lower my blood pressure which was already high to begin with. Still, I'm not sure exactly how generic or low-grade the stuff was that they used in there thus pharmacy-brand Propanolol may be more effective. Thinking about trying it again myself now on the outside. The only reason I took anti-psychotics in that wretched hellhole was to stay in the mental health unit the entire time I was there, otherwise they would've let me go sooner.

Edited by tsteele

8 hours ago, Swamp56 said:

My pdoc prescribed Propranolol for akathisia after unsuccessful attempts with Cogentin (fatigue), Artane (fatigue, memory issues), and Amantadine (worsened my symptoms). Right now the dose is 10-20mg up to three times daily. What is everyone's experience with Propranolol? I took it a number of years ago and don't recall it helping much, but I forget what dose I was on (probably on something too low knowing my old pdoc).

I have been on propranolol a few times, off and on.  When I was first put on it, I took it for anxiety, tremors, and was hoping to lessen the headaches.  At first, it really helped the tremors and anxiety.  Couldn't tell a difference with the headaches.  I started on 20 mg (10 mg 2x/day).  When I felt the tremors and anxiety start to worsen, the dose went up to 40-60 mg/day, as needed (in 20 mg pills).  Soon after that, it pooped out on me.  I couldn't go any higher on dose because it was lowering my blood pressure too much.

The second time I went on it for high blood pressure (IIRC, it was 10-20mg/day to start).  It worked for the high blood pressure, but I had to go off of it because I started to become wobbly and losing my balance.  It didn't help with tremors and anxiety the 2nd time around.

I think part of the problem was that when I went off the propranolol the first time, when I went back on it a second time a year or 2 later for the blood pressure, it wasn't the same in terms of anxiety and tremors.

Propranolol works well for my EPS tremor. I'm taking a extended release formulation so I don't have to worry about 3X a day dosing when all my meds are once or twice a day. 60 MG ER is equal to 20 mg taken 3 times a day. That dose level gives no tremors. I need to take more if I have to work hard with my hands.

It seems to be pretty even, I take in first thing and my hands don't shake all day. The best thing is it is generic, my pharmacy did not stock 60 mg but ordered it.

Edited by notloki