CrazyBoards.org

hi all,

what are your thoughts on:

1) how long does it take seroquel XR to get to a therapeutic benefit (understanding this is dose-dependent)?

2) what dosage amount or range have you found beneficial?

3) I've been told to take it with dinner (i.e. a night-time meal).  Has anyone else been given that instruction?  I'm going to follow it because it came from my psychiatrist, but I'm curious how strange or not strange it is.

1) Been a while since I took it but I think it started to work in a few days, maybe a week. That was to treat a manic episode.

2) I found 200-400mg to be the beneficial range for me.

3) I was not told to take it with food, just to take it at 6-7PM each day.

@dancesintherain Are you taking the immediate release or extended release? Immediate release really should all be taken just before bedtime because it's so sedating. I'm not sure about the XR though. Some might find success in the morning with it. I'm not sure. However, one thing I have heard is that for some, Seroquel can actually be less sedating at higher doses between 200-800mg like @mcjimjam was saying. That therapeutic range in the XR formulation could possibly be taken in the morning, but with how sedating it is, I'm not sure why you would want to.

@dancesintherain, I don't take Seroquel XR  currently, but when I tried it, I always took it on an empty stomach, all at the same time, about an hour before bed.

My pdoc said it could be taken with or without food, but I found that it worked better for me when taken on empty stomach.......

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I take Seroquel xr 800mg and take the full dose at night as directed by my pdoc. Pdoc didn't mention anything about taking it with food however it does state on the patient information leaflet that it should be taken with food...about 300 calories I think. And I have no idea why. I take mine with or without food and doesn't seem to make any difference either way.

I remained well on 400mg for a couple of years but became manic and dose was increased to 800mg and it started to reduce my symptoms within a day or 2 but took a few weeks to take full effect

Thanks team.  I'm taking it to get myself out of a mixed state with passive suicidal ideation, racing thoughts (a fun combo), etc.  To the degree it helps with other things, I'll take it, but that's the main thing.

my psychiatrist wanted me to go up on it really aggressively but I told him I really wasn't comfortable with it because I'm scheduled to head out of town tomorrow. I'm fine with doubling the dose on Monday, when I get back, but I'll survive until then. His comment was that he was being more aggressive because I'm highly symptomatic and I let him know that I get that...but I also can't afford to screw up my friends wedding where I'll be singing.

41 minutes ago, rowan77 said:

Pdoc didn't mention anything about taking it with food however it does state on the patient information leaflet that it should be taken with food...about 300 calories I think. And I have no idea why. I take mine with or without food and doesn't seem to make any difference either way.

Not sure why your pharmacy is putting that on the leaflet. Here's what's interesting. The prescribing information for the immediate release says it can be taken with or without food. However, the XR prescribing information says that it should be taken without food or a light meal of 300 calories. So they're not saying you have to take it with at least 300 calories. They're saying don't take it with any more than that, at least for the XR formulation. As far as I know only Geodon and Latuda have genuine caloric requirements because their bioavailability is lower without food. Seroquel XR on the other hand goes higher with food. If you take Seroquel XR with a meal of 800+ calories, it makes the peak blood level higher, it reaches peak sooner, and it starts to trail off later. Meals of 300 calories or less had no effect. So basically you MIGHT feel extra sleepy if you take it with food.

I have never taken Seroquel so weigh this accordingly, but I have read a lot from people who do take it. One other reason to take it with dinner is to ensure that you take it early enough so that you are not as hung over the following day.

Interesting w/r/t both of you.  I'm terrified that if I don't take it at bedtime, I'm going to miss a dose.  But I don't want to ignore my doctor's orders.  I've found a way of tracking whether or not I've taken it.  (down means taken, up means not; flip down when i take it at night, flip back up in the morning so i know to take it again---this is easier than that sounds).  Right now, I'm just hoping that the sleep need stops or gets better.  I can't keep getting 10-11 hours of sleep (though because of waking up, more like 9.5 hours actually spent asleep) and running late to something.

On 5/31/2017 at 5:47 PM, dancesintherain said:

hi all,

what are your thoughts on:

1) how long does it take seroquel XR to get to a therapeutic benefit (understanding this is dose-dependent)?

2) what dosage amount or range have you found beneficial?

3) I've been told to take it with dinner (i.e. a night-time meal).  Has anyone else been given that instruction?  I'm going to follow it because it came from my psychiatrist, but I'm curious how strange or not strange it is.

1. I was IP mind you, but they increased my Seroquel xr dose by 200 mg a day roughly on average. But this may have been aggressive due to being IP/severely manic/"psychotic". I got up to 600 mg while IP before begging to go home. I had been on latuda with abilify and had gotten manic after discontinuing Seroquel ir. What a mistake!

Then my outpatient pdoc increased Seroquel xr further to 800 mg. This was done in a week I'd say (0 mg - 800 mg increase). 

I noticed improvement with mood (mania dissipated) and voices lessened within that first week even! Things only continued to improve as the weeks passed. 

2. I've only found high doses to be beneficial IME. I noticed a tiny improvement with 400 mg. Then a tiny bit more with 600 mg. Then when I hit the max 800 mg I really hit the sweet spot for me personally. 

3. I've been told the same. It's in the evening slot of my med box that gets filled for me by my nurse. It's not in the bedtime slot like when I took Seroquel ir. I take it in the evening like at 5 pm usually.

I can't say enough good stuff about the XR (as compared to the IR and as a med in general). I've lost 30 lbs. I am not as sedated. It's generic now (at least my 400 mg pills are). I still sleep well at night. It still helps prevent full blown mania. It helps my thinking. It still helps the anxiety. It's an essential part of my med cocktail. 

The only possible downfall is elevated blood sugar (but diabetes runs very heavily in my family so it's impossible to know the cause). And some weight gain/hard to lose weight (although with the XR I've lost weight overall).

17 hours ago, rowan77 said:

My pharmacy didn't put it on a leaflet. The instructions were directly from the drug company

Perhaps it's a generic with different dietary requirements? The Seroquel XR brand prescribing information is just worded differently I guess. Very odd.

5 hours ago, browri said:

Perhaps it's a generic with different dietary requirements? The Seroquel XR brand prescribing information is just worded differently I guess. Very odd.

I have taken the Seroquel xr brand in the past and currently take the generic form. Both have same instructions. I live in Ireland with drug companies prescribing from across EU so this may be different to other parts of the world. Who knows...