CrazyBoards.org

panic attacks

I've been having panic attacks.  At my last appointment my pdoc mentioned treating them with medications, but I told him I didn't want to take anymore medications.  I have bipolar.  He mentioned SSRI's or benzo's.  I've taken klonopin before and it helped me with anxiety.  I had a bad experience with zoloft, but I wasn't on a mood stabilizer.

Any thoughts on medications for anxiety/panic?

Drugs like klonopin and ativan (benzo's) work really well for most anxiety. I use them to stop an attack, but I know that some people take the longer acting ones daily as a form of maintenance.

Ssri's (like zoloft) are used a lot to treat anxiety disorders. That's what I take. But I think they can cause some problems with bp.

I'm not sure if anyone who visits this particular part of the boards has panic attacks and bp...so you may want to post this question on the bp board too.

If you don't want anymore meds, there are some other things you can do that may help. Breathing exercises, meditation, and cognitive behavioral therapy have all been used to treat panic attacks. I meditate and practice breathing exercises and it does help...just not enough for me. I need the medications too.

I hope this helps.

Kristin

Ssri's (like zoloft) are used a lot to treat anxiety disorders. That's what I take. But I think they can cause some problems with bp.

I'm not sure if anyone who visits this particular part of the boards has panic attacks and bp...so you may want to post this question on the bp board too.

If you don't want anymore meds, there are some other things you can do that may help. Breathing exercises, meditation, and cognitive behavioral therapy have all been used to treat panic attacks. I meditate and practice breathing exercises and it does help...just not enough for me. I need the medications too.

I hope this helps.

Kristin

Thanks Kristin

I do try other things CBT, visualization, deep breathing, but I don't know how to stop them.  I'll try posting on the bp board, too.

I get panic attacks, but I don't have BP. However, Remeron helps lessen the severity of them when they do come....but when they come and its 'too much' ie if I'm at work or around lots of people (which is when they only happen really, hey ho)I've got Propranolol to take prn. It only works on the physical symptoms (my pdoc refered to it as a 'transitional object'!) like calming heart-rate and stopping the shaking hands a bit...I've only used it once since I had it, and it did help. (there's a thread on here about it a little while back).

Rescue Remedy is also good to have around.

My pdoc spoke of using a paper bag-ie breathing into one, I can't say I've tried that....I imagine it would make me panic more....

Grounding exercises are what help me the most. But it all depends on where you are and whether you can remove yourself from the situation physically to do this.

Archived