CrazyBoards.org

Cruel holiday

Valentine's Day is almost here.  I'm almost thirty.  When am I going to find the guy for me?  Is one even out there??  Even worse...maybe I have too many boundaries and keep others away to protect myself.  Sometimes I wonder if that's why I don't meet the right guy.

Recently I had a couple different guy friends tell me that I "shouldn't have any problem" finding someone because I'm pretty.  I also had a guy who dumped me tell me that what initially attracted him to me was that I'm "beautiful."  (That's what he said when he was dumping me.)  So...I'm just starting to think that my personality must be terrible if I'm "so pretty" but yet I still can't find a guy.  This makes me feel rotten about myself!

Anyway, I don't know if there's a point to my post.  Just complaining about being single, I guess ;)

Not a trigger, just a lot of ranting...

I'm glad someone started a thread about the evil day  ;)  

:) I hate hate hate Valentine's Day.  Always have, even when I've been in a relationship.  It's just a day filled with unrealistic expectations.  Really, how many people can say they have had an "ideal" Valentine's Day?  In my lifetime (33 years), I've had two.  It's just a day that people who are single dread and most people (maybe I am wrong) in a relationship don't think about until the last second (i.e., "Crap, I have to do something for Valentine's Day again!")  :P

I think the best way to celebrate the day is to think about self-love and the love of the people you have around you.  Btw, the guy you dated sounds like a grade-A moron, one you are better off without. 

Jade

Another singleton here. I make handmade cards for my friends so no one I care about goes without the satisifying thud of a card on their mat when the day rolls around, but I rarely get them myself! I think my most fun Valentines Day was when my male best friend took me on an anti valentines day date where we just relaxed, dressed down and enjoyed each others company, minus the presents and expectations plaguing everyone else. I think that we were the happiest people dining out that night, everyone else seemed overdressed and disappointed!

I am sure that, apart from beauty, you have personality going on too, otherwise you'd be friendless and we'd all be scrolling past your post too! You can always make yourself more attractive by enjoying life more, doing more, experiencing more, being kind to more people. A woman living her own life and enjoying herself solo is the biggest turn on out there, a man sees her enjoying herself and feels inspired that he could make her happy too.

Remember that this a just 24 crappy hours that tend to make us feel bad, when in reality we usually feel content most of the time.

I got married on this crappy day! Divorced 33.5 years and 6 months later.

Day that Madison Ave created to sell more crap.

Love, yeah right. I for one have resigned my self that I will be alone till I die. Where are all the gals out there? The ones that simply want a nice guy . One that simply wants me and not my money or other material things? One that wants unconditional love and devotion? One that wants to be pampered and taken care of when needed? One that wants to be a partner in this adventure of life?

;)   is going on anymore?

;) It's the kind of thing where where society tells me I should be doing something and should be in a relationship but when have I ever done what society told me I should?  I don't even care about the holiday when I am in a relationship really, last year I think I made my then bf dinner, and he gave me these piece of crap earrings that fell apart 1 week after I got them.  And I don't really wear jewelry, definitely not little green heart earrings.  I got over the whole cutesy heart thing a while ago. 

I hated in high school when different organizations would have fundraisers and deliver candygrams to your homeroom in front of everyone.  Did I EVER get a candygram?  Maybe once.  From a girl who was a friend.  Evil. 

2 years ago, when I was hot and could do these kind of things, I went out to a bar, got hammered and found a guy to make out with.  It was my mission to find a guy to make out with.  Like a "Fuck you!" to the people who say that I have to be be in a relationship. 

I don't even want to dignify the holiday by acknowledging it, but I'll still feel like a lonely loser despite my rant. :)

Oh god yes.

This holiday is just evil - and like others, I hate it even when I'm in a relationship!

Obviously it sucks if you're single. It's just one big slap in the face that other people have something happy going on and you don't. Even when in a relationship it's like...a... thermostat. You know? Like you can judge the entire status of your relationship by how valentine's day goes. It's not always correct, but it totally has affected my mood in the past.

Uggggh....this year is going to be worse because all of my friends have SOs and so they'll probably be out doing SO things and being all cutesy and whatnot. And I'll be alone. Joy.

My bf and I never get excited over Valentine's Day. We're valentines with each other every day. We don't need a special day for it.

So, if you have friends and lovers and family and others, celebrate v-day with them and know that you have them every day. you guys know I don't have my dad- the last v-day with him was over some sangeria and pasta.

CHERISH every day. but V-DAY IS EVIL AND FROM SATAN ;)   :)   :P   :ninja:

Is it just me? Or has anyone else in the USA noticed that VDay marketing, TV commercials to be exact, this year has really gotten bad. Guilt, guilt, guilt! You must buy her something to show your really do love her.

I have seen some of the most manipualtive ads in the past two weeks.

If you have someone you love, pick a day, any day, and send them a card or a small gift.

Erika, stepping off her soapbox now

Is it just me? Or has anyone else in the USA noticed that VDay marketing, TV commercials to be exact, this year has really gotten bad. Guilt, guilt, guilt! You must buy her something to show your really do love her.

I have seen some of the most manipualtive ads in the past two weeks.

If you have someone you love, pick a day, any day, and send them a card or a small gift.

Erika, stepping off her soapbox now

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Within a 20 minute space I saw no less than 8 commercials informing me that if you don't give someone a worthless hunk of carbon that you paid a thousand bucks for, you don't love them.

If I were better motivated, I'd start trying to sell quartz at 500 bucks a stone and see if people are dumb enough to fall for that too.

I avoid all the Valentine's Day ( and Christmas and Stooper Bowl and all the manufactured stuff) by simply not watching  television.

Don't look at ads in the newspapers.

We give each other a goofy card and a kiss.  The rest of it is hype.

If you turn off the TV, the silly holidays won't bother you.

olga

The ad that totally stinks of something my dog left outside is the one from DeBeers. The one that says something like a guy should spend something like 20% of his income on her engagement ring. Yeah, like I really am going to spend $16,600 on a ring! NOT! Especially on something that is marked up at least 400% or more.

Rings do not make love or even make a statement of love- it is the everyday actions that are love

I'd be majorly turned off if a someone gave me a diamond, I would hate to be wearing conflict stones, my engagement ring will be something that wasn't out of an industry of death in Africa!

I like diamonds in and of themselves.  They're pretty.  They're shiny.  I hope my dad is eventually able to replace the one that fell out of my mother's engagement ring, because I know it means a lot to both of them.  But for myself, I'm happy with pretty much anything that lasts, if I'm comfortable with it.  By and large, I'm not comfortable with jewelry, period.  Engagement/wedding rings are pretty much the only exception I can picture myself making.  I don't get the point of going into debt to purchase a wee little sparkly thing, though.  Did this make sense?  No.  This is what I get for posting on my way out the door.  I am a board addict.  Maybe I'll edit later....

Another singleton here. I make handmade cards for my friends so no one I care about goes without the satisifying thud of a card on their mat when the day rolls around, but I rarely get them myself! I think my most fun Valentines Day was when my male best friend took me on an anti valentines day date where we just relaxed, dressed down and enjoyed each others company, minus the presents and expectations plaguing everyone else. I think that we were the happiest people dining out that night, everyone else seemed overdressed and disappointed!

I am sure that, apart from beauty, you have personality going on too, otherwise you'd be friendless and we'd all be scrolling past your post too! You can always make yourself more attractive by enjoying life more, doing more, experiencing more, being kind to more people. A woman living her own life and enjoying herself solo is the biggest turn on out there, a man sees her enjoying herself and feels inspired that he could make her happy too.

Remember that this a just 24 crappy hours that tend to make us feel bad, when in reality we usually feel content most of the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage : Anais Nin

Karuna, I love your quote!  I've never seen that.  I'm going to put that on my bathroom mirror.  My life has gotten very small and I resolve to make it bigger.

Here in Japan, Valentine's Day is even more commercialized. On Feb 14, women are supposed to give to ALL the men in their lives. There are cheap obligatory chocolates to give to bosses and guys at work, then tasty chocolates for one's significant other. A big thing here is to buy a premade cake (just as tasty as that sounds!) and then decorate it with icing, little sugar candies, etc.

THEN, on March 14, White Day rolls around. Now the guys have to purchase chocolate to give back to the ladies who gave them chocolate back in February.

The good news? This year they were doing interviews at the local department stores, and when they asked the ladies for whom they were buying, most said, "me!"

This, I believe, is a very good trend.

Archived