CrazyBoards.org

Tapering from Wellbutrin/Lyrica unhelpful. Feeling low and lacking in options.

Hi all, I hope everyone is good.  

It must be going on 9 months since I posted here but I feel nothing has changed.  I've been on Wellburtrin and Lyrica but despite working up the dosages I feel like it isn't working and was leaving me feeling drugged stupid and emotionally flat. So I have been tapering off but now I feel quite physically bad with, aches, pains and fatigue is back big time. Although I can think more clearly again being depressed all my thoughts are about negative stuff and death.   

I've no idea where to go from here now.  Pdoc said increase Wellbutrin further and was on about adding in Lexapro but I've been down the ssri route before and they don't suit me. I have been reading up about alternative treatments like CBD oil, clinicial trials on drugs like Ketamine...  pretty keen to try anything I haven't already tried at this point. 

Even stuff I used to manage when depressed, like going for a walk, has become incredibly hard this last month.  I barely leave the house. 

No idea why I'm posting this probably just desperate for some kind of communication with the outside world. 

I'm sorry you are still feeling bad. The drugged and stupid feeling probably comes from the Lyrica, or at least I didn't have it on Wellbutrin. Hmm. I'm trying to remember all what you've tried. Have you tried any tricyclic antidepressants? How about mirtazapine? Have you tried Lamictal? Lamictal can make you feel stupid at first, but it has never made me feel drugged. Have you tried any MAOIs like Parnate or Nardil?

I remember that you were reluctant to try Abilify. Did you ever try it? There is a new AAP for depression called Rexulti which is the "new and improved" Abilify. I don't know if you have it in the UK or not.

Ketamine is sort of a last resort because it is still in clinical trials although some pdocs here will prescribe it. CBD oil is probably not going to be great but maybe it is worth a try. I wouldn't try it as a stand-alone therapy though.

Anyway, I'm glad you posted, but I wish you were feeling better.

Yeah I have tried tricyclics, mirtazapine, effexor, etc.     My doctor doesn't seem to think trintellix is a good option.   I would like to try a full MAOI but again at first my pdoc said he had experience with those but then for whatever reason doesn't seem willing to let me try.  I have not tried Lamictal, I have never heard of it being used here for MH purposes but I can ask next time.

How about SNRIs like duloxetine (Cymbalta) or venlafexine (Effexor)?

Cymbalta in particular has some efficacy for fibromyalgia and physical pain associated w depression.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, crazyguy said:

Hi all, I hope everyone is good.  

It must be going on 9 months since I posted here but I feel nothing has changed.  I've been on Wellburtrin and Lyrica but despite working up the dosages I feel like it isn't working and was leaving me feeling drugged stupid and emotionally flat. So I have been tapering off but now I feel quite physically bad with, aches, pains and fatigue is back big time. Although I can think more clearly again being depressed all my thoughts are about negative stuff and death.   

I've no idea where to go from here now.  Pdoc said increase Wellbutrin further and was on about adding in Lexapro but I've been down the ssri route before and they don't suit me. I have been reading up about alternative treatments like CBD oil, clinicial trials on drugs like Ketamine...  pretty keen to try anything I haven't already tried at this point. 

Even stuff I used to manage when depressed, like going for a walk, has become incredibly hard this last month.  I barely leave the house. 

No idea why I'm posting this probably just desperate for some kind of communication with the outside world. 

I had the worst reaction to lyrica for pain.   It just totally screwed up my thinking so I was having difficulty operating my car.  I had trouble understanding people and anyway...  I'm the small percentage who the drug is really REALLY bad for.   I take Wellbutrin myself and I had to go to the highest dose for it to work.  I think there are three things.   Try a drug.  Give it 6 weeks to kick in and if its not working increase the dose.  If you top out at the maximum dose and its not working try another drug.   Adding a drug to one that doesn't work makes no sense to me but...  I didn't got to medical school so what I say is just personal experience.   The waiting 6 weeks thing was the hardest part.  The finding a drug that worked for depression but had too many side effects and having to switch sucked.  However...  The end result is (I think) worth it.  If a drug works I think going off it should be done only under careful examination of the effect.  My impression is a lot of people feel better on some medication then just stop because they are "ok"   *I don't know what that had to do with anything.   Just something on my mind.

On 2017-6-5 at 4:11 PM, HAL9000 said:

I had the worst reaction to lyrica for pain.   It just totally screwed up my thinking so I was having difficulty operating my car.  I had trouble understanding people and anyway...  I'm the small percentage who the drug is really REALLY bad for.   I take Wellbutrin myself and I had to go to the highest dose for it to work.  I think there are three things.   Try a drug.  Give it 6 weeks to kick in and if its not working increase the dose.  If you top out at the maximum dose and its not working try another drug.   Adding a drug to one that doesn't work makes no sense to me but...  I didn't got to medical school so what I say is just personal experience.   The waiting 6 weeks thing was the hardest part.  The finding a drug that worked for depression but had too many side effects and having to switch sucked.  However...  The end result is (I think) worth it.  If a drug works I think going off it should be done only under careful examination of the effect.  My impression is a lot of people feel better on some medication then just stop because they are "ok"   *I don't know what that had to do with anything.   Just something on my mind.

Yeah it makes me fuzzy headed as well but I have to say tapering off and then stopping it I noticed a big return of my pain and fatigue within a week (IMO the fatigue is caused by aches and pains)....   so I started taking it again. 

This is my feeling too... combining two antidepressants that didn't work (or even made things worse due to side effects) don't make any logical sense to me. 

23 hours ago, crazyguy said:

Yeah it makes me fuzzy headed as well but I have to say tapering off and then stopping it I noticed a big return of my pain and fatigue within a week (IMO the fatigue is caused by aches and pains)....   so I started taking it again. 

This is my feeling too... combining two antidepressants that didn't work (or even made things worse due to side effects) don't make any logical sense to me. 

I really shouldn't comment too much about selection of meds and such since I'm not even close to knowing what I'm talking about.  I do take a combo and without all three I think I would be fairly screwed up.   Chronic pain stuff (I think) is a good reason to see a doctor that is focused on just that.  And "fuzzy thinking" is a term that frankly scares me.  Mine was bad.  Like REALLY REALLY bad.  To the point that I had to just stop my car and get out and walk because I couldn't remember (Don't laugh too hard) how to stop it.   Like which foot does what so I ended up punching it and slamming on the brakes which is great if your a teenager trying to do a burn out but.. All I wanted to do was not run over someone.

The pain thing for me took some surgery after a number of well thought out tries with various injections etc.  

For mental health I had to be put on a couple different things to find ones that worked together and took care of two things.   Three pills for one problem.  The waiting for the anti depressants to kick in really was the most difficult part for me.  It "seemed" like it had to get to the point where I was sure they weren't going to ever work and then...  They just did but its never a magic BLAMO your not depressed.  Its more of a "Hummm...  Today seems to be going ok.   Whats going on?"  Oh yeah these pills I've been taking for 5 weeks.  Maybe thats it?   Subtle stuff...   The anxiety stuff which is so much more in my face and really messing up my day seems those drugs start working really fast.   Benzos (For my whenever everything else isn't working) take maybe 10 15 minutes and I can feel that change.   Buspar which I guess is really hit or miss from what others say is more like the subtle makes me functional drug so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that it has some effect on.