CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Wonderful.Cheese

Driving anxiety. I need to quit. Options?

Driving always makes me extremely anxious. And to boot, I had some car trouble but luckily was only stuck in a parking lot. Some kind folks pushed me back into a parking spot as I was stuck in the middle of the parking lot. 

I need to quit driving. I can't do another winter any way. 

I do not qualify for the para bus. I do not have any physical limitations and this is why. I would qualify for classes to learn how to ride the regular buses. But panic and voices and "paranoia" and med side effects lead to major confusion. I'd never be able to ride the regular bus. And I don't have Medicaid so I can't do their bus for appointments either. 

Our city also doesn't have a good bus system. There aren't any bus stops near me. But I guess I could try to walk quite a ways to one. 

Is anyone in a similar boat? What are my options? Husband says i need to keep driving. But I'm done. I might have to go back to my old treatment team as they do outreach, as much as this sickens me. 

I've been in a similar situation but it was me being pressured to drive because "nothing was wrong with (me)" ... even though I was loaded on meds and had just been told I had had at least one seizure (based on an EEG report).  And even thought I was already in a few car accidents (fortunately where people were involved only once, no one was hurt) ... I looked "ok," so what was the problem, right?

Anyway, I was being pressured so much that what I ended up doing was turning in my license for a state ID ... I didn't want anyone to pressure me anymore, and make me feel guilty if I wouldn't drive them somewhere (when they thought I looked ok, when I wasn't).

It sucks not being able to drive, and to have to rely on other people helping me out, but I hated feeling guilty for not driving someone somewhere when I really couldn't. As well as do other things related to driving, ie, getting groceries.

We don't have the greatest transportation in my town, but there is one thing I can use for emergencies.  But right now my mother helps me out with most appts and errands, but on one day a week, maybe 2.  We combine schedules and get my stuff taken care of, and some of hers.  The rest of her stuff she goes to and does is on her own.

If I need to go anywhere any other time of the week, I can ask 2 different people if I can go along, or I can walk there. (a grocery store in walking distance, and if I push myself I can make it to CVS).

I hope this helps.

10 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I've been in a similar situation but it was me being pressured to drive because "nothing was wrong with (me)" ... even though I was loaded on meds and had just been told I had had at least one seizure (based on an EEG report).  And even thought I was already in a few car accidents (fortunately where people were involved only once, no one was hurt) ... I looked "ok," so what was the problem, right?

Anyway, I was being pressured so much that what I ended up doing was turning in my license for a state ID ... I didn't want anyone to pressure me anymore, and make me feel guilty if I wouldn't drive them somewhere (when they thought I looked ok, when I wasn't).

It sucks not being able to drive, and to have to rely on other people helping me out, but I hated feeling guilty for not driving someone somewhere when I really couldn't. As well as do other things related to driving, ie, getting groceries.

We don't have the greatest transportation in my town, but there is one thing I can use for emergencies.  But right now my mother helps me out with most appts and errands, but on one day a week, maybe 2.  We combine schedules and get my stuff taken care of, and some of hers.  The rest of her stuff she goes to and does is on her own.

If I need to go anywhere any other time of the week, I can ask 2 different people if I can go along, or I can walk there. (a grocery store in walking distance, and if I push myself I can make it to CVS).

I hope this helps.

Yes this does help Melissa. Thanks. You've given me a lot to think about. 

Right now I really only drive to appointments like maybe 1-2 times a week. Then the rest I go with my mom or with my husband. 

Really the only place I feel semi ok driving to is the mental health clinic. Because I go there so often. But there are so many places I can't drive to because of panic attacks. And also I can't drive in the dark.

Maybe I will talk to my case manager too. She might know more about the bus system in our town. Or maybe she can help me feel less nervous about driving when I need to. 

On 6/5/2017 at 8:07 AM, Alien Navel Cord said:

How big is the town where you live? Do you have Uber there? Cheaper than a taxi... just a thought.

Thanks! That's an idea for emergencies. I was able to drive to my tdoc appointment yesterday. It went so so. I will keep pushing myself I guess. I don't really have a choice. 

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

Have you thought about biking? 

I still haven't gotten around to driving because of the OCD so I just take the bus (I live on the bus route), walk or take uber.

• Like 1

It's strange that driving actually relaxes me.  Why all my jobs are driving.  

I'm also more nervous and anxious when i'm at home too...I guess I'm a bit strange.