CrazyBoards.org

Situational depression and meds

When do mood symptoms that were originally triggered by concrete events still warrant medical intervention? At first, I tried to reassure myself that feelings of sadness were normal in response to the even (they are, and letting myself feel emotions is something I have difficulty with). But it seems that the sadness is building a little bit to despair and feelings of worthlessness. I'm still managing my daily life well, but am having definite negative ruminations that are becoming somewhat distressing. My therapist is aware of this, and we are talking about why things are as hard as they are. What happened plays right into some existing insecurities I have about myself, so this is definitely something I need to work through.

I'm not scheduled to see my psychiatrist for a couple months because we had - or so we thought - finally reached the point where I seemed pretty stable on meds and decided to space things out more with the option to call if things went downhill. But, when you can point to things and say that, "I'm depressed because of X, Y, and Z," when do you call? Especially when your therapist is telling you that X and Y are reasonable things to be sad/distressed about, but that there is some cognitive distortion going on, and Z is not really as hopeless as you feel it is. I'm planning to talk to my therapist but also wanted to see what other people's experiences were. 

This sounds frustrating and to me at least, a hard decision.

I'm glad you are talking to your therapist about all of this.  What I would do personally, would be to call my pdoc, even if my therapist is telling me everything is reasonable feelings to have. 

5 hours ago, thunder said:

But it seems that the sadness is building a little bit to despair and feelings of worthlessness. I'm still managing my daily life well, but am having definite negative ruminations that are becoming somewhat distressing.

This is why:

I think that even though you and your tdoc are and have been working on this (for awhile now?), it sometimes helps to get a different perspective from someone else. 

Also, if you feel like you are getting worse, IME I try and nip it in the bud because the longer I wait the more difficult it is to treat.

Even if you see your pdoc and things don't change, at least you went to see him/her, and you won't have that question in the back of your mind, wondering whether you should go or not.  I hate when I can't make a decision (for any reason, in general), so I have learned over time that if I have a question in the back of my mind that I am constantly thinking about, of whether to do (whatever it is) or not, I go do whatever it is that is nagging me because it will stress me out and my anxiety will get higher until it is done.

I also take into account my gut instinct.