CrazyBoards.org

No relapse after 1.5 years of not being on meds? 

My friend went off of his meds about 1.5 years ago. He claimed that he was incorrectly diagnosed because he has not had a "relapse" since. He suffered through 8 different hospitalizations in 9 months but has been out since. He was Dxed with Bipolar I, most recent episode manic, with psychotic features by five different P-docs. Our question is is 1.5 years without a relapse normal for BP I? Was he incorrectly Dxed? He claims that his normal up and downs do not exceed the point where he needs to be inpatient and that the doctors incorrectly Dxed him.

Hi Miranda,

CrazyBoards is a first-person site. We would welcome your friend to post here on his own behalf. However, when your question is about someone else, we've found that things just get too complicated too fast and we are also violating a prime directive of peer mental health support, which is "nothing about me without me."

Thanks for asking your questions about you and your brain cooties here. 

If you wanted to talk about your friendship and how it impacts your own mental health, there's a section of the board for that as well.