CrazyBoards.org

panic attacks

I've been having panic attacks.  At my last appointment my pdoc mentioned treating them with medications, but I told him I didn't want to take any more medications.  Now, the panic attacks are starting to be really bothersome.  I sit bolt upright in bed.  I'm worrying about mistakes I made at work in the past and it's like I'm reliving it. I breathe heavily but they come back until I fall asleep. I've tried visualiztion and CBT, but I don't know how to stop them.

My pdoc mentioned SSRI's or benzo's.  I've taken klonopin before (1 mg at night) and it helped me with anxiety.  I'm a little nervous about taking an SSRI, but I'm on a mood stabilizer (I take lamictal and abilify)

Any thoughts on medications for anxiety/panic?

klonopin is a great medicine for panic attacks.  you can even get the wafers that disolve in your mouth when you need them quickly (it works as soon as it enters your blood stream).  i'm on klonopin and i love it. calms me down a lot better than ativan, which i was on before the klon.

if you're having panic attacks, you might want to ask your pdoc about upping your dosage. 1mg at night seems like it's just there to help you sleep.  is that what it's rxed for?  right now i'm on 2mg three times a day and the panic attacks are a LOT less than before.  and i carry some extra in my purse in case i need them while i'm out.  great stuff.

Nearly any SSRI keeps the panic attacks and night terrors away for me. Lexapro seems the least problematic and is what I'm using now at only 5mg. This may change because of BP II issues but I'm not sure Lexapro is a problem for that. Abilify may be activating and the Lexapro may counter that a little depending on how your body reacts to those.

i too agree, i take clonazepam (generic klonopin) as needed when i panic.  i take .5mg before i go out into a panic prone sitution(anything with large groups of people) and another .5mg if i still get a panic attack.  since it is a benzo you may find it addicting.

My pdoc now has me taking .5 klonopin at set intervals to "keep the horse from getting out of the corral", but I also take one an hour before I have to drive to work or speak to a group, etc.  It has made a world of difference in the 10 days since I first saw my new pdoc.

Tommy

Archived