CrazyBoards.org

Zoloft feedback, worth 2nd trial?

Zoloft was the first A/D I was on (over 20 years ago) unfortunately, triggered a very bad episode/hospitalization and I was taken off of it. Do you think it's worth another trial? I am desperate to find an A/D that will help with my melancholic apathy & brighten my mood. I've tried all the A/Ds except the oldest (tricylics, MAOs)

I know it's usually used as a 1st line treatment - can anyone give some feedback & if it worked why did you go off of it? Also, did it cause weight gain?

I would be very wary of any med that put me in the hospital even if it was 20 years ago.

Have you tried increasing the Abilify up to 10 mg paired with another antidepressant such as Lexapro?

I guess you're right. My gut tells me this also. Lexapro did nothing for me, which is strange because Celexa helped with anxiety a couple of years ago, but it made me so tired & lethargic I had to go off of it. Plus now, I don't have any issues with anxiety.

Abilify makes me starving above 5mg & I feel like I need to be on an antidepressant for the action to kick in.

Yes, you really should be on an antidepressant with Abilify to get the maximum benefit. I take Celexa and I find that the Abilify cancels out the tiredness and lethargy from the Celexa. In my experience, Abilify works very well with Celexa and that is why I suggested Lexapro. But there are many, many antidepressants out there to try which I'm sure would work well with Abilify.

• 1 month later...

I tried brand-name Zoloft a few years ago and it did nothing for me. I ended up on Prozac via Cymbalta and Lexapro, which also did little for me. But supply issues saw me back on Zoloft but at 75-100mg as opposed to my first trial at 50mg, and I've seen a marked improvement. Cost alone prevents me going higher. No insurance or generics available where I live.

Edited by matthew beech
Spelling

Zoloft has been my "go to" AD for over 20 years. I don't take it all the time, just when I start to feel depressed. It has always worked for me. I started at 100 after titratibg up from 50. I now take 200. 

Try Costco. I don't think you have to be a member to use the pharmacy, My insurance wouldn't cover one of my meds. CVS wanted around $400 and I get it at Costco for $25!!

Zoloft is definitely good for melancholic depression. You really need a dopamine effect to be that good for melancholy and Zoloft or Wellbutrin/Aplenzin are pretty much it in that department. Arguably Celexa and Lexapro might just make you more apathetic because they're so "flattening".

For what its worth, you could try Wellbutrin/Aplenzin. You'd be surprised how effective bupropion products can be for some people. In my experience, "melancholic apathy" and "a brighter mood" all scream Wellbutrin. I highly doubt most of the SSRIs will make you feel "brighter" just "not as dark".

On 11-7-2017 at 1:48 PM, browri said:

Zoloft is definitely good for melancholic depression. You really need a dopamine effect to be that good for melancholy and Zoloft or Wellbutrin/Aplenzin are pretty much it in that department. Arguably Celexa and Lexapro might just make you more apathetic because they're so "flattening".

For what its worth, you could try Wellbutrin/Aplenzin. You'd be surprised how effective bupropion products can be for some people. In my experience, "melancholic apathy" and "a brighter mood" all scream Wellbutrin. I highly doubt most of the SSRIs will make you feel "brighter" just "not as dark".

In my experience, Zoloft works for the melancholy. I don't feel depressed, but my Pure O(cd) is going up and down. I've been on Zoloft for 7 months now. Compared to 12 months ago I do feel better and more positive.  I feel like the dopamine effect is helping me concentrate when my attention needs to be turned outward, but when I'm alone and need to concentrate on my computer work I feel stuck with intrusive thoughts. Lexapro worked a lot faster and better, but I wasn't motivating me to go and start my day.

• 1 month later...

Zoloft put a chemical floor into my mental state, such that I could look over the edge of the abyss without completely falling into it. It's also been helpful for some PTSD things.

The combo of swellbutrin and sertraline seems to do alright by me.