Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Dazed and Conbruised.. I have bruises everywhere!!


Recommended Posts

I have noticed ( and others) I have tons of bruises on my legs and thighs.. I have over 10 right now, it's like I don't even remember how I got them. I increased my Lamictal about 5 weeks ago and I am sort of confused, some people say it is a blood thinner. I am wondering if that has something to do with it?

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want people looking at me and judging me. And plus, it's summer.. I want to wear shorts and dresses and not look like I have been beaten up by kangaroo.

Edited by KnickNak
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose that it is possible to be a side effect from Lamictal, but I have never had this side effect nor have I been beaten up by a kangaroo. Seriously, I suggest that you see a doctor about this. As I said, it could be from the Lamictal but it also could be something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jt07 said:

nor have I been beaten up by a kangaroo.

haha . that made me laugh.

I see my therapist tomorrow and she is a nurse, I will see what she says..my pdoc is out of town right now, It is an odd thing tho I have to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@KnickNak ... The same thing happens to me all the time ... I have no idea where the bruises come from either.  I even had the blood tests that tested for a clotting disease or something. I don't remember the exact labs done, but fortunately they came out negative.

If your therapist/nurse tomorrow doesn't have an answer, maybe call your GP and ask why s/he thinks you are bruising so easily?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

@KnickNak ... The same thing happens to me all the time ... I have no idea where the bruises come from either.  I even had the blood tests that tested for a clotting disease or something. I don't remember the exact labs done, but fortunately they came out negative.

If your therapist/nurse tomorrow doesn't have an answer, maybe call your GP and ask why s/he thinks you are bruising so easily?

I also see you are on Lamictal... I am trying to see if this is maybe the culprit , I shall see! .. maybe some blood work is in order..the problem with my GP.. she thinks everything is mental in my case almost like I am a hypochondriac 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KnickNak said:

the problem with my GP.. she thinks everything is mental in my case almost like I am a hypochondriac 

I hate when DRs treat me like that!  Makes me so angry! 

You know though ... a former GP of mine learned his lesson hard ... When my hip had broken, and I went to see him about it (about 1.5 weeks later), I couldn't move that leg ... it had no movement.  So the nurse was seeing me, and she went back and consulted with my GP ... and he told her to tell me (and my mother, who was also there) ... to call my pdoc!  So my mother did, and pdoc ordered an x-ray ... and lo and behold, not only had my hip broken, it had refused with another part of the bone, making my leg 2 inches shorter than the other one.

He knew he was screwed.  Unfortunately my parents don't sue people (even this would have been, so GP lucked out.  And he was a nervous wreck (my mom told me that while I was in surgery and in the hospital he was calling her 2x/day asking how I was.  Soon after that the nurse stopped working there, and GP moved on to another job.

So maybe something like this might happen to her.  Who knows.  Maybe not, but IME if she treats you this way, something could happen.  Just a thought.

 

1 hour ago, KnickNak said:

I also see you are on Lamictal... I am trying to see if this is maybe the culprit , I shall see! .

I've been on lamictal for a very long time, and I never developed a rash of any kind.  Doesn't mean you haven't though.  I would just recommend seeing your DR because any rash might not be something good.  But YMMV on that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you show your bruises to your GP then I don't see how he/she could attribute it to your MI. Bruising can be an indicator of several things, and I think you should get it checked out. As I said, it could be a side effect, but it could also be something else. I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to encourage you to get it checked out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

If you show your bruises to your GP then I don't see how he/she could attribute it to your MI.

I think the only thing about the bruises that could be attributed to MI would be to SI yourself.  BTDT when I was a lot younger, when the depression first started and I was making the bruises happen by SI.

Like jt said though, bruising can be from a lot of things, so I'd get it checked out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to come off for or against Lamictal, 

but I definitely did have bruising on it. I may have thin blood anyways (type "O") and I think it got thinner on stimulant treatment, but remained kind of thin. On Lamictal, lying down on my bed with my elbows bent, I'd get purple ish brusies on my elbows and arms. 

I do remember walking into my desk and hurting my thigh (I'm clumsy like that). And I had a major purple-black bruise. I had just increased the Lamictal dose. A few days later, I quit (for other reasons) and the bruise that looked quite scary cleared up very quickly. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it definitely caused bruises to me or made normal activities bruise me. On Lamotrigine, I did bruise at times in similar workouts to before that were sans-bruise. This could be my physiology + the drug, rather than only the drug. I may have a platelet issue (I hope not, getting a blood test) and I think for me it could be my blood type + stimulants + lamotrigine. Your kangaroo comment made me smirk KnickNak :). 

Edited by MNK99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 6/5/2017 at 9:14 PM, KnickNak said:

I have noticed ( and others) I have tons of bruises on my legs and thighs.. I have over 10 right now, it's like I don't even remember how I got them. I increased my Lamictal about 5 weeks ago and I am sort of confused, some people say it is a blood thinner. I am wondering if that has something to do with it?

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want people looking at me and judging me. And plus, it's summer.. I want to wear shorts and dresses and not look like I have been beaten up by kangaroo.

I went to the gdoc once because of bruising and they found that it was due to 'sticky platelets' from the lamictal. So yes indeed, it does apparently cause easy bruising...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...