CrazyBoards.org

My dr upped my Abilify again after lowering it from 5mg to 2.5mg because it was making me anxious.  I asked him for something for the anxiety, and instead he upped my lamictal to 125mg (from 100mg).  He said it should help with the anxiety.  I'd never heard that.  Has anyone been told or heard that it can help with anxiety?  Anyone find that it helps with their anxiety?  Thanks!

Heya witchywoman,

Lamictal is weird.

My anxiety almost got ... unmasked I guess, when my depression started to get better.

So, it feels now like I'm a ball of anxiety.

But, with Lamictal, who the hell knows??

• 2 weeks later...

The more lamictal I took the better my anxiety and irritability got (they always go hand-in-hand for me).  At low doses I got more stable, but once I got over 200 mg the anxiety almost weirdly disappeared.  I'm a completely different woman now that I don't have the feeling that something terrible is about to happen.

I hope it works for you, too.

hi, yeah all the anticonvulsants can calm you down which might have an effect on your anxiety.  i get as good results from trileptal (another anticonvulsant) as i get from low dose ativan/lorazepam, which is approved for anxiety.  if you are lucky you will feel the effect from lamictal within a couple days!

I've asked this question b/f - do you have to be bi-polar to be put on Lamictal?  I've been put back on Zoloft after 2 runs w/Cymbalta.  Thinking that I might benefit from a coctail tho.  Anyone know an answer to this?  BTW I've got depression and anxiety issues.

Heya,

You can be bipolar, resistant depression, depresion with anxiety ... lots of combinations.

Lamictal is often worth a try.

But, it's finicky when it comes to getting drug coverage for it.

Like, here in Ontario, b/c the only on-label/approved use for Lamictal is as an adjunct to other ACs in resistant epilepsy, the seniors' drug plan administere dby the government will only cover it for that use.

When I bought my disability insurance (costs an arm and a leg), it came with an exclusion -- won't cover mood disorders.  So, maybe taking an AC will *help* me get some reimbursement.

--ncc--

Oh gosh no!!!  My anxiety has gotten so much worse on Lamictal...full blown, out of nowhere panic attacks!!!

But remember...this is just my experience with Lamictal.  It could be a great med for your anxiety...just not mine.    ;)

Good luck to you.

aimee

Archived