CrazyBoards.org

I am 28 years old and I am facing these symptoms for some time now. I have been told that these symptoms fall on the OCD spectrum. I never thought OCD would be like this. I just wanted to know if anyone has been facing these symptoms-

1) I have a tremendous fear of going mad. In fact my symptoms started because I thought I was going mad. This was a year ago. I always think I might hear or see something, or lose touch with reality. As a result, I am constantly scared.

2) I have very vivid dreams and at times get confused as to whether they actually happened.  As a result, it happens that when I wake up, I am confused as to whether the dream actually happened or not, and it is only after sometime that I convince myself that it did not happen. When I wake up, I feel completely helpless and think that I have lost my grip on reality. 

3) I have an overactive imagination. As a result, I often act out scenarios in my head. When someone says something, I imagine that they will say this or that next. As a result, I am constantly berating myself and scared, as to why am I imagining stuff? I try to hold my imagination back as I am scared I will confuse it with reality.

4) Usually in the morning, I feel extremely anxious and feel I have lost my grip on reality, so much so that my teeth chatter from morning to afternoon. 

5) I keep on getting mental images of things that happened long ago. For instance I will get images of things or incidents from the past that happened about 10 years ago or more. I do not want to think about these things or incidents, and yet I get these images. For instance I will get the image of my house that I used to live in 10 years ago.  Since I have not visited these memories in a long time, I have forgotten how I used to feel about these things from long ago, and as a result, I feel extremely unnerved and spooked out when I get these images.

6) I also get images of things and places from my imagination/dreams out of nowhere. These also cause me to get taken aback and be startled and unnerved, as I think that I can no longer distinguish between reality and dreams/fantasy. I try my level best to distinguish these images from reality, question as to why am I getting these images, and somehow put them in a category that will reassure me that I am not going mad. 

7) Sometimes I get distorted images of past memories. As these things never happened, they cause me to get startled and think I am losing touch with reality. 

8) There are period of time when I am extremely confused and cannot make sense of things. During these times, I will catch myself, and think I am losing touch with reality. I will think that my thinking has become illogical. 

9) I am scared of my imagination running away and causing me to lose touch with reality. I will often try to imagine "what happens next" in a scenario, and then get scared and think, why am I doing this? This is delusional thinking. I am losing touch with reality! For instance, if a person is sitting in the room next to me, I will think "they are probably doing this or talking to someone" This causes me discomfort and panic as I think that this is my imagination and causing me to lose my grip.

10) I also get memory problems. This is probably because I am thinking of my mental problems and not paying attention to things. But can this be a symptom of OCD? Do oCD sufferers get mental problems?

Is this OCD or something worse? This has been happening for a year now. There are period s of time (1-2 weeks) when I am completely fine though. 

I was just reading about this last night. I am not a doctor. The term "schiz ocd" is not official, OR COMPLETELY UNDERSTOOD but it's in study. I get a lot of the similar stuff you do. Some say it's ocd+mild schizophrenia (don't freak) OR that it's simply being obsessed with the fear/thought of going physcotic. Or a mix of both. Ocd and schizophrenia are closely related, but people with "both" have "more" "insight"to "physcosis"... I would look up the term, i hope this helps.

I've gone through all of that.

I also have that anxiety problem when I wake up...sometimes it's panic, sometimes it's like a severe depression that usually subsides when I start moving around.  I wish I could find the article that explained why this happens to a lot of people...

Cyberchondria, hypochondria, and the fear of psychosis.

Sounds more like you're just in a state of anxiety to me though.