CrazyBoards.org

I am 28 years old and I am facing these symptoms for some time now. I have been told that these symptoms fall on the OCD spectrum. I never thought OCD would be like this. I just wanted to know if anyone has been facing these symptoms-

1) I have a tremendous fear of going mad. In fact my symptoms started because I thought I was going mad. This was a year ago. I always think I might hear or see something, or lose touch with reality. As a result, I am constantly scared.

2) I have very vivid dreams and at times get confused as to whether they actually happened.  As a result, it happens that when I wake up, I am confused as to whether the dream actually happened or not, and it is only after sometime that I convince myself that it did not happen. When I wake up, I feel completely helpless and think that I have lost my grip on reality. 

3) I have an overactive imagination. As a result, I often act out scenarios in my head. When someone says something, I imagine that they will say this or that next. As a result, I am constantly berating myself and scared, as to why am I imagining stuff? I try to hold my imagination back as I am scared I will confuse it with reality.

4) Usually in the morning, I feel extremely anxious and feel I have lost my grip on reality, so much so that my teeth chatter from morning to afternoon. 

5) I keep on getting mental images of things that happened long ago. For instance I will get images of things or incidents from the past that happened about 10 years ago or more. I do not want to think about these things or incidents, and yet I get these images. For instance I will get the image of my house that I used to live in 10 years ago.  Since I have not visited these memories in a long time, I have forgotten how I used to feel about these things from long ago, and as a result, I feel extremely unnerved and spooked out when I get these images.

6) I also get images of things and places from my imagination/dreams out of nowhere. These also cause me to get taken aback and be startled and unnerved, as I think that I can no longer distinguish between reality and dreams/fantasy. I try my level best to distinguish these images from reality, question as to why am I getting these images, and somehow put them in a category that will reassure me that I am not going mad. 

7) Sometimes I get distorted images of past memories. As these things never happened, they cause me to get startled and think I am losing touch with reality. 

8) There are period of time when I am extremely confused and cannot make sense of things. During these times, I will catch myself, and think I am losing touch with reality. I will think that my thinking has become illogical. 

9) I am scared of my imagination running away and causing me to lose touch with reality. I will often try to imagine "what happens next" in a scenario, and then get scared and think, why am I doing this? This is delusional thinking. I am losing touch with reality! For instance, if a person is sitting in the room next to me, I will think "they are probably doing this or talking to someone" This causes me discomfort and panic as I think that this is my imagination and causing me to lose my grip.

10) I also get memory problems. This is probably because I am thinking of my mental problems and not paying attention to things. But can this be a symptom of OCD? Do oCD sufferers get mental problems?

Is this OCD or something worse? This has been happening for a year now. There are period s of time (1-2 weeks) when I am completely fine though. 

I was just reading about this last night. I am not a doctor. The term "schiz ocd" is not official, OR COMPLETELY UNDERSTOOD but it's in study. I get a lot of the similar stuff you do. Some say it's ocd+mild schizophrenia (don't freak) OR that it's simply being obsessed with the fear/thought of going physcotic. Or a mix of both. Ocd and schizophrenia are closely related, but people with "both" have "more" "insight"to "physcosis"... I would look up the term, i hope this helps.

What you're describing sounds like it could be OCD. Are you seeing a therapist? They might be able to help with stress tolerance. 

Honestly, it sounds like OCD to me too, but I am not in a position to diagnose. You are obsessing on this fear.

Do you take any meds like an SSRI?

I've gone through all of that.

I also have that anxiety problem when I wake up...sometimes it's panic, sometimes it's like a severe depression that usually subsides when I start moving around.  I wish I could find the article that explained why this happens to a lot of people...

Cyberchondria, hypochondria, and the fear of psychosis.

Sounds more like you're just in a state of anxiety to me though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Persona_Is_Life
      Hello! 
      I'm trying to figure out how to address my nervous tics lately. They've been persistent this past year and are always changing. From eye blinking, to head shaking, to sticking my elbow in my sides, squeaking, to a eye closed swallow things. I can't remember them all. 
      I don't always have them. If I've properly slept and aren't stressed/anxious they don't exist at all. As I'm typing this I keep needing to pick up my thumbs and bend them till I hear something crack. 
      I don't know where to put this though! 
      Thanks!
    • By Blahblah
      This has become the central topic of my latest ruminations...I'm still in my 40's, but I'm worrying a lot about getting older. I'm having some random health issues (aches/pains, chronic fatigue etc) that I never had before.
      I don't have any children and get triggered every time I see photos of other people's kids (literally everyone I know my age has kids now). I know that it's not a given that all families are happy or one's kids will take care of you in old age, but it's just the thought of having a family around! My parents are approaching late 70's and they live very far away, cannot travel. I have no other close family (or even close friends) that I can really depend on.
      Anyone know how to remedy these anxious thoughts? One of my biggest fears is being alone in old age, with increased health issues, and being totally isolated/alone in despair. I'd rather die young.
    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By (sic)
      Hi everyone,
      So I've had the worst time since Wednesday, my depression spiraled out of control which lead to self harm and suicidal thoughts. In this state of mind I took it out on my dog who I love the most in this life. She really means the world to me, but I did get violent (that was Friday morning) by Friday night I was feeling like the worst thing on this earth. I cried so much, felt so much remorse and even selfharmed in order to pay for the damage I had done. Went to bed feeling better.
      This morning I woke up feeling like crap again so lost and helpless which I can try to deal with but now I have very graphic intrusive thoughts about harming my dog. I'm so terrified since I can be very violent, I am not a bad person. I love all animals especially my dog who I adopted with so much illusion. Now I'm devastated and so scared. I don't know how to get through this, about three years ago I had really bad intrusive thoughts about death, but never about harming one of the beings I love most in my life. I'm scared some sick part of me got awaken since I want to be violent again with my dog. Anyone has been through this before? I have appt with my doctor by EOY, but in the meantime I want to find some peace of mind and of course not hurt my dog. I'm sorry for this awful post, I'm so sad, I love animals, do lots of activism and charity for them, I'm even vegan how did I end up in this situation with someone I consider my baby girl. I have 2 other dogs, but only my favorite one is triggering me to do bad things.
      Help please! Again I apologize for being such a disgusting human being.

• By kitties
      Hi, I am kitties.  I am a newbie here, but not to illness.  I have chronic pain 24/7 in my back and neck.
      Mentally....here are my diagnoses (got a second and third opinion....all objective and a consensus of the exact same diagnoses.)
      Bipolar 1 with psychosis, extreme, treatment resistant, rapid cycling.   Mixed features predominant.  Never had a remission to date...just a couple of weeks with my bipolar disorder.  “Normal” for a few weeks a couple of times per year.  No anxiety remission.
      OCD, GAD, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety disorder, PTSD...I think that is everything.   Oh, I am significantly affected by a very strong dose of agoraphobia stemming from my PTSD and Panic Disorder.
      I have a great psychiatrist and I e been in treatment with him a since 2006.  I had a great therapist that had a co-transference issue and I ultimately ended my therapy with him. I have tried four therapists since firing the aforementioned therapist - but I unfortunately have lost faith in the process.
      I am a night owl by nature and it has really ramped up since being declared disabled in 2009/SSDI/cannot work.  I struggle with having a “routine,” although I have read that one with bipolar disorder tends to be more stable with a routine.  I’m easily overstimulated so I like the quiet and darkness..
      I know I have an eating disorder (anorexia, restricting type), but I politely yet firmly said I have had “eating issues” but I have no desire to “go there.”  My psychiatrist respects that although I am subject to a monthly weigh-in and I self-manage it.  
      I am currently relapsing right now, unfortunately. But, I have had it for so many years that I know at what weight my body and mind take a turn for the worst.  And I have to rein it back in and stop losing (meaning eat more).  I’ll never seek treatment as the recovery model, IMO, is ridiculous.  Kudos to those that have been able to “recover.”
      I take a bunch of meds, mainly psych meds  
      I like to read, Enjoy spending time with my boyfriend.  Internet.  I like learning things, I am currently and reading up on world history (pre-USA).  I keep up with psychology and sociology.
      Thanks for reading if you made it this far.