CrazyBoards.org

140mg Latuda and still crazy

Hi. I have Bipolar 1 and I am currently taking 140 mg Latuda and still in the last two months have been both hypomanic (went up to 160 to curb mania then back down) and suicidaly depressed. I can't take antidepressants because I go manic. I also take 400 mg Trileptal. I am extremely sensitive to side effects and also went psychotic on 900mg Lithium in the past so that doesn't work. Neither does Lamictal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Mellym

Have you tried any other antipsychotics?  Typical or atypical? I was up to at least 120 mg latuda and it didn't work for mania or psychosis for me. I now take 3 antipsychotics (Seroquel xr 800 mg and abilify 35 mg and invega 12 mg). I have schizoaffective bipolar disorder. I can't take antidepressants either. 

I've tried Risperdal which lead to 30lb weight gain and reactivated my bulimia. It worked well for mania but did nothing for depression. I also tried Abilify but went psychotic shortly after starting it so the pdoc discontinued it. I am terrified of weight gain which is why I haven't tried seroquel

The new one- Vraylar isn't supposed to be bad for weight and it's a quick titration...also if your really in a pinch and need to to be knocked down short term while other meds can be adjusted you could use a heavy duty typical like haldol or Thorazine