CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

I have what I like to consider pretty bad GAD and it is most prevalent when I am faced with time pressure and especially with assignments at school.

I always start telling myself "I can't do it" and all i want to do is run away and avoid the stress and do anything to avoid having to deal with it.

this usually takes the form of extensions and excuses and skipping classes and emailing profs, etc.

I've been doing really well this week but for some reason I can't let myself feel that or think to myself that maybe I can do it, because I keep saying to myself, just because I succeeded in the past how do I know I will this time.  I've also failed a lot in the past, so that could happen too.  

I even feel like writing this post is avoidance even though its really just me reaching out, but I feel pathetic that I can't just deal with my shit on my own.  

Right now I have a 1000 word paper due in 3 hours and I tried reading the articles that I need to read but I just got overwhelmed and started writing down all the thoughts that were going through my head. That helped a little because I got the thoughts out, and I guess that's what this is doing too.

I still am majorly fighting the urge to email my prof for an extension, which I prob will be able to get, and get on a bus to go home and hide in bed for as long as possible.  I just don't want to face this fear.  I freeze up any time I say to myself that I can't do it, and I will do anything to run away.

I guess what I want to know is does anyone else feel this, and if so, how do you cope without running and hiding.

Thanks

I'm glad you reached out and wrote this post.  It takes a lot of courage to do that!

I noticed you wrote this post 12 hours ago ... did you do the paper?  Ask for an extension?

12 hours ago, voic.of.illogic said:

all i want to do is run away and avoid the stress

I can empathize with this ... stress is (for me) something that I hate, and I have it every day. 

I don't feel like I want to run and hide, but when the stress (and anxiety for me) builds up I like you, I just want to stay inside and not deal with anything at all. I also avoid doing things.  Eventually things get done, but it can take some time.

How is the clonazepam working for you?  Do you think you need a med tweak?  Does your DR and/or another one of your supports know how you are doing (as written in your original post)?

If you've told everything to others, what do they suggest?

I would suggest being very honest with everyone (supports) ... that is the only way people can help you (IMO).

Like I said above, maybe your pdoc can tweak a med or something? 

I also want to say that I think it is great that you have so much support! 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes... I crumble under pressure and want to just run and hide. I can't live up to challenges. In high school I had the first signs of anxiety disorder, and I had my dad write sick notes for me while I was depressed and anxious. I missed maybe a month's worth of school due to it. And now I am missing work due to anxiety (and mania but that came on secondary to the terrible anxiety). 

It is really hard. I hope you are able to be ok!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MisterMelancholy
      I got in a massive fight with some well liked people at school last friday and everyone saw it so everyone hates me now and I was suspended for today. I don't know if I ever wanna go back since everyone hates me now. Everyone keep insisting to but it's a death sentence. Everyone will pester me for the rest of my life and I'll eventually get into another fight. What do I do? Do I go to school? How can I control my massive anger and impulsivity?
      It feels like Mel Gibson has become my spirit animal.
      There's a video on Youtube where he yells at this chick on the phone and it's very relatable. It's exactly how I act when I get mad.
    • By Blahblah
      Anyone been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue syndrome? I feel like maybe my symptoms are not due to depression. I do not want to start more meds because they don't solve the root problem. My mood is stable.
      Symptoms: I lay in bed for hours, everything is draining, exhausting despite sleeping 10+ hours every night....Brain Fog....Moving Slow like I'm carrying lead.....Dry eye syndrome (I have RX for this)....Dry itchy skin (I have RX lotion for this)...Cold feet.....Low Blood pressure.....
      I want to pursue other medical tests to rule out other causes. Tests so far:
      Thyroid + antibodies (normal)
      Vitamin D & Folate (normal after supplementation)
      Iron (normal- but slightly low end)
      Nutrition (I eat protein daily, healthy diet, avoid sugar)
      I know I need to exercise again, but lately due to this lethargy I am really struggling to even shower and cook... it's totally debilitating.

My GP suggested maybe a Sleep test (although I don't snore in sleep). I will be getting some Cardio function tests. I'm ordering a sun lamp. is there anything else I could get checked out?

• By Blahblah
      Starting this thread because boredom, idleness, lack of stimulation is often a key trigger of depression and bad habits. When I get bored, I feel an emptiness, uselessness and physical/mental lethargy, cue ruminations, then I sleep excessively. This isn't always fatigue: It's an automatic (and very negative) avoidance behavior.
      This link lists 150 ideas (from high effort to minimal effort - from "fun" to mundane) in order to build healthier habits. I need to stop waiting to "feel good" before taking any action. Any thoughts?
      https://www.developgoodhabits.com/what-to-do-bored/
      Today, I:
      Journaled, Cleaned my desktop, Backed up computer, unsubscribed to some junk email, Did some stretching, called a relative, dealt with an admin issue, read some blogs about depression, provided some words of support/appreciation for someone.
    • By MisterMelancholy
      It's my 3rd time now that I've cut myself intentionally. I sliced my wrist at school and a teacher saw it. I did it to try to cope with my feelings of self hatred. I then had to see my school counselor after he saw me do it. It was kinda a bittersweet meeting. I cried a little after I got back to class but noone saw as I didn't weep and only shed 2 tears. I still can't believe I relapsed. I feel guility.
    • By Blahblah
      Never been a morning person, but getting up is becoming more a problem. I read about "Sleep Inertia" when you wake up during REM cycle and then feel intensely groggy, foggy (like drunk) when you get up. For me this state lasts over an hour. Is this a (too much) Melatonin thing?
      I sleep like a log through the night. I've experimented with my routine, 8-10 hours, and regardless, I get this groggy drunk feeling every morning when I get up, even after coffee and meds. It takes forever to wear off!
      Anyone know a cheap sleep tracker? I probably oversleep, but regardless 8 or 10 hours, I feel this way. I set my alarm across the room and usually snooze a couple times because it is literally impossible for me to get up.