CrazyBoards.org

I moved to this independent living home a year ago.  Most of the residents here have caregivers, have various degrees of alzheimers, the rescue squad comes daily and I am the youngest one here.  I would move but I don't have the cash to do so at this point.  My issue is, I am disabled, can't drive anymore and am stuck in my apartment for the most part and 66 years old (young?) and trying to make new friends.  All family is deceased and friends too, so I am starting over.  This one friend I invested alot of time in this past year announced to me recently that I am not sophisticated. I have been pulling away from her due to her other rude remarks about my personality and reducing my exposure to her lately and she wants to talk about it tomorrow.  My self esteem has taken a beating due to her verbal abuse.  She was away for a month and the day she comes home, my heart starts pounding, I loose sleep and just feel utterly too stressed to think straight.  I don't have many friends here to help normalize myself and balance things out, so I am left alone for the most part.  I do go to some of the functions here, but.................. you know................ cane fights, etc, kinda drive me away, LOL.  So, back to this discussion tomorrow.  I won't back down, I know the verbal abuse will come out and the putdowns and I won't allow it.  I have had some distance from her and can see things pretty clearly now, only thing is that I will miss her as a "friend" to do things with outside of where I live, that is if we do only what she wants to do.  My to-do list is really quite long, so I guess it's back to taking the paratransit to get around.  Wish me luck tomorrow and thanks for listening.

Purple.

Hi PurplePaisley!  I'm here and I'm listening. :-)

You're doing the right thing by distancing yourself from that person.  

I just started taking public transportation in the form of a bus to get to college for the first time in my life and I'm 36 Years old.  

PurplePaisley,, I read what you wrote. Good luck tomorrow. You don't need friends who put you down, and I'm sorry you can't meet nicer people.

I've had friends that weren't nice, too. I'm finding it harder to make close friends as I get older. Any new friends, really. Friends have passed away or drifted away. I do have online friends but it's not tha same, I do recommend it if you can do it. I hope your conversation went well. I wish I had some new advice on making new friends but you've probably heard it, and I can't say it's easy to do, or I'd do it myself.