CrazyBoards.org

celexa vs lexapro

I've looked for this topic, but don't see it specifically discussed. Tdoc is slowly pulling me off zoloft, and had initially wanted to put me on lexapro, but he said there could easily be issues & hassles with insurance. So instead, he decided to go with celexa. I've read about it; my question is, are there still any success stories for it? Can anyone comment about weight gain issues with zoloft vs. celexa? I'm petite, so a few pounds looks like a lot on me. I'm going to be strictly watching my diet, but want to know what to expect.

also, hand tremors was a big issue with zoloft (apparently it's the zoloft)... anyone have these with celexa?

• 1 month later...

I am on Lexapro now and I'm not sure that I like it better than Celexa. I'm having boo coo problems with anxiety. I was even taking Ativan for a while. I was on Celexa for around a year and I'm thinking of switching back. But, I gained 20lbs on Celexa so I don't really look forward to that. On Celexa I felt like I could eat and eat and never feel full or satisfied. Both Celexa and Lexapro make my brain feel like swiss cheese. Most days I can't even remember if I even took my medicine. I've gone and gotten a weekly pill box but I keep forgetting to use it.  ;)

The only thing that I've found when switching around meds is that I pretty much hate them all and wish I didn't have to take them. I've gone off plenty of times with horrific results.

Not much help I know, but you can't know unless you try, really.

Steph

I've looked for this topic, but don't see it specifically discussed. Tdoc is slowly pulling me off zoloft, and had initially wanted to put me on lexapro, but he said there could easily be issues & hassles with insurance. So instead, he decided to go with celexa. I've read about it; my question is, are there still any success stories for it? Can anyone comment about weight gain issues with zoloft vs. celexa? I'm petite, so a few pounds looks like a lot on me. I'm going to be strictly watching my diet, but want to know what to expect.

also, hand tremors was a big issue with zoloft (apparently it's the zoloft)... anyone have these with celexa?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I *LOVED* Celexa. It kicked ass as an AD. It was weight neutral. There was an increase in tremor (but keep in mind that I have tremor anyway; any drug that lists tremor as an even remotely possible side effect will have the effect on me).

That being said, Celexa did not like being jilted. I was on it for a year. It worked so well that I thought I could get off of it and be just peachy. Nuh uh. When I went back on it three months later, it didn't work for me the second time around. Nor did Lexapro.

I've been on the celexa for a little over a month now. I think it must need to be bumped up a notch, as I'm still having depressive problems. I just simply don't know what to blame for any weight gain; I started celexa and risperdal at close to the same time.

brain has been swiss cheese for quite a while, so that's nothing new. I think it was the xanax that finally did me in. Again, who knows. But thanks for the replies!!!

I wouldn't say the ONLY difference is technology. They can't REALLY know the SCOPE of their changes with their *new and improved* version of this drug.

Being that I have taken both of them I would say there are some very IMPORTANT differences--Celexa worked for me and Lexapro doesn't!  ;)

I suppose if I hadn't tried EITHER drug yet, I'd start with Lexapro. BUT I wouldn't SWITCH just because it's supposed to be *new and improved*

My insurance covers citalopram--generic for Celexa. And, it covers Lexapro which doesn't have a generic yet. Of course, all insurance plans are different. I have very minimal coverage because I have an "individual plan." My insurance doesn't cover "mental health issues," yet most SSRIs are included on the formulary list. I guess these drugs have other uses. It's all so damn SCREWEY. But what can you do?

Greeny flower--that SUCKS about Celexa Jilting you! I was going to switch back too. Now I don't know WHAT to do!

Steph

The only real difference between cel and lex is that lex is the new technology.

Greeny flower--that SUCKS about Celexa Jilting you! I was going to switch back too. Now I don't know WHAT to do!

Please don't let my experience stop you from trying it again. My doctor said that 30 - 40% of people have the problem of an SSRI not working the second time around. The majority of people don't have a problem starting up again.

IIRC, Lex is a an isomer of Celexa, the "right hand side" of the molecule. Functionally it's pretty much the same drug as Celexa, just reformulated to have fewer side effects and, most importantly, remain under patent protection for longer.

VE is right.  Lexapro is essentially a more refined version of celexa with the same efficacy but a better side effect profile.

However, celexa has a good reputatiuon as a change over drug - ie if you are going to change over from one ssri to another, celexa has the reputation of a smoother change.  I read a study on this a while back.  I think the second place drug is prozac.  I dont know about the others.

I remember changing over from luvox to paxil over a year ago and I got serotonin syndrome.  It went away as soon as we bolstered the paxil dose up.  It was horrible though.

Archived