CrazyBoards.org

If you convince a pDoc to give you a MAOI congratulations. Tha is half the battle. Most Dr.s are scared *hitless to use. Most of the various food warnings in PDR happened 20-30 years ago. I have had one bad reaction-chinese food with MSG resulted in a explosive headache-High Blood pressure, My sister has had one bad reaction. She was on a business trip with a bad cold and someone gave her a cold pill-A real No-No!

I have eaten most of the items on the forbidden list and have takenDemerol(along with other pain meds)  with no problems.

My sister and i both have sever panic attacks. She can not sleep without nardil.

Nardil comes on fast. No waiting for 2 weeks to see results. No spaced out feelings at all. If you stop taking Nardil,you will have a depression come over you. For example crying to the dumbest little things on TV or the radio.

The preferred dosage is 3 15 mg pills per day.

I will not say they eliminate panic attacks all the time,but do cut down on the frequency. They sure work better than the other AD's we both tried first over the years.

I have seen many items regarding sleepiness with usage. My sister and I have the opposite reaction. Lots of energy.

I would like to add here that it is always a good idea to take a xanax or clonopine

in my shirt pocket as a psychic pacifier. Just knowing it is there helps keep on calm.

Personally Xanax makes me feel like a slow minded idiot at work. It does work fast in an emergency. A quarter to a half a clonopine works as well,but takes longer to kick in. Oh well to each his own!

I sure would try Nardil befor ECT--which I guess is a form of Electro shock therapy.

Stay Calm,

Je

what is Nardil?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MAOI, bianca. the type of drug mentioned in seemingly every drug ad on tv, kind of made out to be a scary solution, though warmstuffing1 is voicing his disagreement.

On another note, I can see MAOIs coming into my future relatively soon (13 days), and I don't like it. ;)

If you do a search, you'll find my various posts about MAOIs in general and about my personal miracle -- Parnate.

You say you've had no trouble with the food restrictions, and in some ways that doesn't surprise me. The current guidelines, based on actual published research as opposed to the list that comes from the pharmacy, are much more specific about the 'bad foods.' Whole categories have been tossed off that list. And there is now a consideration of things that are a relatively individual reaction.

MAOIs have an effectiveness very close to ECT; certainly I would suggest trying one or both (or three outside the US) before moving on to ECT. At my last consult, the expert told my doctor and I basically to flip a coint between re-trying Parnate (it worked in the past, but I had to give it up) and ECT.

One of the biggest issues with prescribing MAOIs, as already mentioned, is how easy it is to overdose or mess up the food and 'accidentally' die. So it's most likely to be prescribed to the most deeply depressed and suicidal people -- problem.

Fiona

Heya warmstuffing1,

Fiona has a good thread re. Parnate, another MAOI.

As I suddenly realize she already said.

MAOIs are *good* drugs.

When used rationally.

They work for a *lot* of people.

They inhibit reuptake of serotonin, dopamine, norepi, the works.

I've had pts who responded to nothing, and Manerix fixed them up so they could do therapy.

Frankly, it's irresponsible to Rx *any* ADs to suicidal people, without carefully limiting dispensing frequency.  Like, 7 tabs a week, something like that.

That said, some patients inevitably slip through, and MAOIs (Parnate, Nardil) are nasty, nasty in overdose.  As Fiona pointed out.

Non-suicidal adults can limit tyramine consumption, and can carry around a list of things to avoid.

It takes a hell of a lot of cheese to hurt an MAOI user.

Here in Canada we have Manerix (moclobemide) which supposably has no dietary restrictions, b/c (as I just saw Trooper said) it's reversible.

I was gonna say something about the MAO-B and Parkinson's connection, but Trooper said it better.

So hey, go for it, Nardil or Parnate or whatever.

--ncc--

Frankly, it's irresponsible to Rx *any* ADs to suicidal people, without carefully limiting dispensing frequency.  Like, 7 tabs a week, something like that.

That said, some patients inevitably slip through, and MAOIs (Parnate, Nardil) are nasty, nasty in overdose.  As Fiona pointed out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At my worst points (the ones where I should have been in hospital, but that environment would be worse for me), my pdoc carefully limited how many of the (ever-changing) pills I had at home. I used to fill prescriptions on my way to an appointment, then he would give back to me however many he felt comfortable with. That way I didn't have to pay for multiple small prescriptions.

Whoever designed the Parnate tablets had a sense of humor, the printing on them looks just like a little happy face ;)

Now, if they would just make them in more than 10mg! I take 12 of the little things a day (and yes, I know that's something like twice the 'official' but it makes me almost 'normal').

Fiona

They inhibit reuptake of serotonin, dopamine, norepi, the works.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, they don't affect the reuptake so much. They do inhibit the breakdown of the neurochemical

after the reuptake, so there's more available the next time a signal needs to be sent.

One way to look at it:

Signalling under MAOIs is more staccato - a sharper "hit" is available to push the signal through

Signalling under reuptake inhibitors is more legato - the same volume is held until the signal comes through.

Archived