CrazyBoards.org

Is it possible to concentrate when manic!?

SOOOOOOOOOOO i think i am getting manic (you think i'd know by now!) waking up earlier and earlier and going to bed later and not feeling tired at all! on top of that i can't stop starting projects, especially knitting projects. Right now i am working on a shawl, a dish towel, another dish cloth, a hat and THREE GIANT BAGS. well actually four...i keep promising to make people stuff because i just can't help myself. it all feels soooooooooooo urgent too. and i keep wanting to do MORE THINGS. like paint, make jewelry, COOK ALL THE THINGS, write just more and more ideas keep coming and i can't stop and do just one!

my question is; is it even possible to focus on any one thing when manic? i never have been able to. is there some trick? am i fooling myself by thinking i can focus and be productive on a single thing at a time without jumping to a new, seemingly more urgent endeavor? 

Just now, The Hitcher said:

In my experience, nope. No chance concentrating on one thing. Good that you're trying though!

yeah, i am not finding any luck, i keep jumping between everything that pops into my mind and that's A LOT right now! SIGH well i'll have a lot of half finished things to look at when i finally come down! 

3 minutes ago, electricbamboo said:

yeah, i am not finding any luck, i keep jumping between everything that pops into my mind and that's A LOT right now! SIGH well i'll have a lot of half finished things to look at when i finally come down! 

If you have that many projects going, at least you won't be bored sorting them out when you come down agan. Plus side to everything. I'm uncharacteristically positive today lol.

Edited by The Hitcher
  • Like 1

My only way of thinking of concentrating was to manage to concentrate on just one thing, even if the quantity was elevated.  For example, I went through a coloring book and supplies phase.  I bought way more coloring books than I need as well as supplies like colored pencils.  But because it stuck within that one realm, I'm not still stuck in the overwhelmed by everything I did front.

47 minutes ago, electricbamboo said:

SOOOOOOOOOOO i think i am getting manic (you think i'd know by now!) waking up earlier and earlier and going to bed later and not feeling tired at all! on top of that i can't stop starting projects, especially knitting projects. Right now i am working on a shawl, a dish towel, another dish cloth, a hat and THREE GIANT BAGS. well actually four...i keep promising to make people stuff because i just can't help myself. it all feels soooooooooooo urgent too. and i keep wanting to do MORE THINGS. like paint, make jewelry, COOK ALL THE THINGS, write just more and more ideas keep coming and i can't stop and do just one!

my question is; is it even possible to focus on any one thing when manic? i never have been able to. is there some trick? am i fooling myself by thinking i can focus and be productive on a single thing at a time without jumping to a new, seemingly more urgent endeavor? 

Oh boy I can so relate to the starting a million knitting projects and promising a million people a million knitted goods too when manic or hypo. I really start a lot of other crafts too. The excitement and urgency is in the starting of a new project for me. I rarely finish anything because then I crash and lose all motivation or have negative symptoms.

I know for sure that I can't focus on only one thing when manic or hypo. That is impossible for me to do. 

I hope you land gently and that you do not crash hard. Maybe you could call your pdoc or tdoc for extra support and help? Just an idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Oh boy I can so relate to the starting a million knitting projects and promising a million people a million knitted goods too when manic or hypo. I really start a lot of other crafts too. The excitement and urgency is in the starting of a new project for me. I rarely finish anything because then I crash and lose all motivation or have negative symptoms.

I know for sure that I can't focus on only one thing when manic or hypo. That is impossible for me to do. 

I hope you land gently and that you do not crash hard. Maybe you could call your pdoc or tdoc for extra support and help? Just an idea.

YES it is sooooooo exciting to start a new project! like THE RUUSH OF IT IS EXHILARATING! and i should probably stop messaging everyone i know seeing if they want me to knit them a thing...i just can't help myself! next up SOCKS!! 

I have a pdoc appointment on friday, she's always booked up solid so idk if i can get in sooner than that but if i get out of control i will rely on my husband to spot it and take me to the hospital! :D

6 minutes ago, electricbamboo said:

YES it is sooooooo exciting to start a new project! like THE RUUSH OF IT IS EXHILARATING! and i should probably stop messaging everyone i know seeing if they want me to knit them a thing...i just can't help myself! next up SOCKS!! 

I have a pdoc appointment on friday, she's always booked up solid so idk if i can get in sooner than that but if i get out of control i will rely on my husband to spot it and take me to the hospital! :D

Ah yes the rush of excitement of starting something new! I get that at times even when not manic! I have about 50 projects going right now. Lol oops! And a million bucks worth of yarn and fabric from manic spending. 

Socks are a fun little knitting project! But not if you've promised 100 people a pair. It will get old. I've been there. Yikes! 

Can you give husband your phone if the temptation to text everyone to offer knitted items is too high? I know this sucks so much. 

I've promised so many knitted things to so many people and I never followed through. I feel so guilty and dumb now but at the time offering felt absolutely great! Enjoying knitting in moderation is what I've found to be best! I hope this helps!

1 hour ago, electricbamboo said:

When hypomanic, sure, but when I'm fully manic, I can't focus. 

58 minutes ago, Flash said:

When hypomanic, sure, but when I'm fully manic, I can't focus. 

Same with me ... I can stay on track with one thing and can focus on that one thing ... more concentrated focusing, not being able to stop.  But if I get distracted to other stuff it becomes harder to focus.

I have the worst concentration when manic. My job even suffers because I can't focus on any one task at hand all the way through. I kept going manic all last year and so I ended up having read ONE book the entire year. Now that I'm stable I'm on book 5 or 6 right now since the beginning of the year. So that shows I cannot pay attention to anything long enough to finish it. I think it is part of being manic, for a lot of us.

I'm like this now. I haven't slept for 2 days. Have weekly course notes to read for my course. need to start 3 assignments, plan a photo shoot, got ideas for a photo series, have about 35543543 windows open on my laptop, had about 8 cups of herbal tea since last night cause I'm developing a bit of an obsession with tea and teapots. Can I concentrate on any of this? I think I saw pigs flying by...

When I had really bad mania a few years ago I too developed an obsession for knitting, never mind the fact I can't knit to save my life and have no idea how to use those stick things you put the wool on but as far as I was concerned I was a brilliant knitter. I was also a brilliant artist despite having no talent whatsoever but according to the experts i.e. me, I did. I even sold one of my paintings. All I did was flick paint over the canvas and then sold it to one of the other patients in the mental hospital. She was ecstatic to buy it, I was happy I had 20 bucks.

I can't speak for your type of case, but I can get a lot of work done when hypo. I just have to implement a rigid schedule and then plow through everything.  The second things get boring though, my productivity goes down the toilet.  I just have to keep rotating activities.

So it's not just my personal weakness, I see it's pretty common. I have so much project stuff waiting to be dealt with. At one time I planned to make emergency kits, can't even remember now what you call them, little ones in altoids tins, bigger ones in totes, but never got anywhere with that. That is, except buying supplies for them. I can't knit at least so guess this was my version of crafts. Also bought stuff for home disaster preparedness but never organized it. I tried to focus, I really did. Now I've lost interest in the thing. Sound familiar?  Seems it is familiar to many.