CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin worth the side effects?

Sorry to those I'm annoying with post.  I try hard not to bomb the forums with my problems...and there are plenty.

So I'm at a point now where I have to adjust my medication.  And one of the options is to add Wellbutrin to the mix.

Since coming down to 75mg Effexor I've lost a lot of weight...unintentionally...I just don't seem to have much of an appetite.  I tend to have a very anxious-type depression.

And after reading side effect profiles for Wellbutrin I'm concerned.  Losing weight adds problems to depression/anxiety as most of you probably already know, less serotonin over the last months from food and drug.  So Wellbutrin having the effect of upping anxiety and hurting my appetite further sounds catastrophic to me.

It's a popular medicine so I was just wondering how everyone here did on it?   Like for anyone did you actually just feel better and start eating?  Right now food has no appeal, so....  On the flip side I've lost a lot of interest in things and heard Wellbutrin can help that?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BrianOCD

Wellbutrins weight loss did not really last that long. A few weeks of decreased appetite. I think you are worried about a side effect that might happen. If it does and you lose a few lbs. so what. There are plenty of of supplemental drinks designed to keep your weight up.

• Like 1

I've been on Wellbutrin in various doses and formulations for more than two years, and I have only gained weight in that time. I am currently on 300mg XR (extended release), down from 400mg SR that I was taking in doses of 200mg in the morning, 200mg in the evening. My appetite has increased a LOT since making the change. (Probably too much, as in I gained 10 pounds in a month and just last week I ate four, count 'em four, ice cream bars in one day.) So it doesn't suppress appetite for everyone. I think these things are very individual. One thing to know: Wellbutrin is not easy or fun to come off of, which I only know because I've done it by accident a couple of times just from missing doses. But right now I would not go without it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

It's a popular medicine so I was just wondering how everyone here did on it?   Like for anyone did you actually just feel better and start eating?  Right now food has no appeal, so....  On the flip side I've lost a lot of interest in things and heard Wellbutrin can help that?

I did and am currently doing fine on it.  I didn't have any side effects, but seeing that you have panic and anxiety disorders, IMO you should be careful to watch out for increased panic and anxiety.  Wellbutrin can do that to some people. 

It didn't effect my eating.

I think it is possible that wellbutrin can help with a return of interest with things, but YMMV on that. 

Personally I am on IR and that kind works best for me.  When I was on SR, it didn't do anything for me.  Again though, YMMV.

• Like 1

I've been on it for a fair length of time.  No side effects to report.  It seems to help raise the floor where depression goes from me being functional to being a mess.   LIke it just doesn't let it reach the danger zone.   I've lost and gained weight but I think thats more from Anxiety problems.

1 hour ago, HAL9000 said:

I've been on it for a fair length of time.  No side effects to report.  It seems to help raise the floor where depression goes from me being functional to being a mess.   LIke it just doesn't let it reach the danger zone.   I've lost and gained weight but I think thats more from Anxiety problems.

Good deal...I was gonna ask if Wellbutrin helps a bit with anxiety too, seems to be a lot of conflicting reports on that.

A few suggestions. First would be to go for the Aplenzin brand as I've said in a few other posts. I felt a lot less amped on Aplenzin and felt that the anxiety I experienced across the generic IR, SR, and XL was virtually non-existent on the Aplenzin brand assuming I didn't consume any other stimulants like caffeine. It's a bromide instead of a chloride salt so there's the hypothesis that the bromide may help to counteract some of bupropion's stimulating, agitating effects.

If you're worried about anxiety and appetite as well as your weight, I have heard some people who are able to take a single IR tablet in the morning and don't need to take it again for the rest of the day. Mind you, IR is three times a day, but the hydroxybupropion metabolite has a much longer half life and you may not need extended release formulations like Aplenzin or the generic XL if you're sensitive to them.

However, bupropion augmentation is a common strategy and it's statistically proven. It just sounds to me like if you have anxiety problems as well as virtually no appetite and weight loss for days now that bupropion would be a riskier strategy than most. However, like @melissaw72 pointed out, it hasn't affected her appetite at all. So YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...

I took Wellbutrin XR for many years, and I never had any trouble with it. It was weight neutral for me. It also helps a lot if you are on a med. that has sexual side effects.  I only came off of it, because my pdoc thought it may have stopped working and wanted to see what removing it would do. I did a very slow taper. We like to keep my med list simplified, because several years ago, I was on a ton of medicine, which made it hard to know what was doing what.  It's definitely a med I would recommend and be open to trying again.