CrazyBoards.org

What's Longest You've Taken Benzo

I've taken Ativan 1mg for about 6 months at one time.

I'm just wondering if anyone takes them longer and how they feel on them?  I'm considering going back on my Ativan for a little while after i talk to my PDoc.

Edited by BrianOCD

Been taking 2mg clonazepam (Klonopin) every night for almost 4 years......It's a little less sedating than it was when I first started, but still helps a bit.

My doc is very conservative with benzos, although she does give them when she thinks it's needed.

I'm seriously considering doing Ativan or something nightly, cause i'm just so sick of feeling nervous.

Also I took two dosages of .5mg ativan today but still had breakthrough anxiety.

Is that too low a dosage?

Edited by BrianOCD

5 hours ago, Iceberg said:

or you could need a longer acting med

I agree.....A longer acting benzo might possibly be the answer....

5 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

I'm seriously considering doing Ativan or something nightly, cause i'm just so sick of feeling nervous.

Also I took two dosages of .5mg ativan today but still had breakthrough anxiety.

Is that too low a dosage?

BrianOCD, I would suggest asking your doc about a longer-acting benzo, and see what he/she thinks.

For instance, I only take Klonopin once a day.....It has a longer half-life and is a bit more potent than Ativan.................I have seen some people here who dose Klonopin twice a day, but once a day seems to be enough for me.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 6/12/2017 at 5:39 AM, BrianOCD said:

I'm just wondering if anyone takes them longer and how they feel on them?  I'm considering going back on my Ativan for a little while after i talk to my PDoc.

I take 2mg Klonopin twice a day, and I have for about 5 or 6 years. I started at .5, and within a couple months went up to 1mg. I can't remember when I went up to 2mgs. I used to have to take it three times a day (morning, afternoon, before bed), because I was waking up to anxiety attacks (not cool). But, a job change made a big difference, and I only need them twice a day.

10 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I agree.....A longer acting benzo might possibly be the answer....

BrianOCD, I would suggest asking your doc about a longer-acting benzo, and see what he/she thinks.

For instance, I only take Klonopin once a day.....It has a longer half-life and is a bit more potent than Ativan.................I have seen some people here who dose Klonopin twice a day, but once a day seems to be enough for me.

I talked to my pdoc today.

I'm going back to the brand name effexor xr, adding ativan, and upping the seroquel I take per night.

Hopefully helps.

Thanks for replies guys!

Typically I only take ativan PRN or for maybe a few days, but this latest episode my Pdoc wants me on ativan for weeks to month to calm things down.

It always helps I'm just sometimes reluctant to go back on...One of the main reasons being I generally like to come off of it at some point.

And I've noticed I get panicky/anxious in between dosages.  Major migraine headache.  But for side effects, I figure that's not TOO bad.

Edited by BrianOCD

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2017 at 3:39 AM, BrianOCD said:

I took klonz for 11 years.

• 9 months later...

Out of curiosity, did you have severe withdrawl from taking away your Klonopin? That's what worries me! I take 2MG daily for anxiety and panic. I wake up panicky.  I even take a xanax for breakthrough anxiety (every one in awhile if i can't calm down).

On 6/14/2017 at 5:06 PM, BrianOCD said:

And I've noticed I get panicky/anxious in between doses.  Major migraine headache.  But for side effects, I figure that's not TOO bad.

A longer acting benzo, such as Klonopin, should solve this. No, I do not think having migraines between doses to be acceptable. At all.