CrazyBoards.org

Hello.

After trying zoloft, prozac, abilify, and latuda, I was prescribed seroquel for bpd/depression. I am nearly 3 weeks (19 days to be exact) into and I'm not liking it at all. I have no energy or motivation, really hard to wake up, feel like im almost in a dream, and also experiencing constipation/stomach bloating (triggering body image problems). I am wondering how long I should stay with it to see if the side effects go away. I was thinking 1 month, as my next psych appointment will be right around the 30 day mark. However, I kind of want to stop taking it now, but i dont want to quit too early and possibly miss out on a well working med. The psychs i've seen always say how ap's start working so much faster than ad's so I dont know.

Thanks!

IR or XR?

Seroquel IR has been a godsend to me for sleep and managing thoughts.  (mostly anxiety)

I've taken Seroquel 25-100mg for about a decade.

Biggest problems are risk of diabetes, you will want to eat, and it can make me a bit lethargic...

Edited by BrianOCD

That's a lowwwww does for mood stabilization, might explain the lack of effect. That's usually an anti anxiety or sleep dose 

22 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

That's a lowwwww does for mood stabilization, might explain the lack of effect. That's usually an anti anxiety or sleep dose 

Not concerned about the lack of effect, I know it's a low dose. What I'm concerned about is the awful side effects, which is why I'm was asking how long I should try the medicine out. I'm curious how long it takes for side effects to go way. I definitely don't want to increase my dose yet since I already feel like shit on it 

5 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Is your doc forcing u to stay on it?

I don't see her till the 20th. Like I said just curious how long I should wait for awful side effects to subside before just quitting . I don't want to quit if they are going to stop but idk how much time to give it 

2 hours ago, ihatemyself said:

75mg IR, broken up into 25mg at morning and 50 at bedtime 

Yeah, that is a very low dose. Note that Seroquel is more sedating on lower doses than it is on more therapeutic doses.

At that low of a dose, it's basically a really powerful antihistamine. The side effects tend to improve as the dose is ramped up to 200mg and above. At 75mg, you're basically getting the bad without any of the good. I had to get to 100mg in a single dose before it did anything besides make me hungry and sleepy, and even then it was minimal. There is also very little mood benefit to split dosing Seroquel, unless the sedating properties are being used to help manage anxiety. It's just going to keep you sleepy 24x7. 

if your pdoc wants you on it and you both feel it is beneficial, I would ask to titrate upwards to 100mg+, and dose it once a day, not 3x. That should improve a lot of what you're experiencing.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 9:02 AM, dtac said:

At that low of a dose, it's basically a really powerful antihistamine. The side effects tend to improve as the dose is ramped up to 200mg and above. At 75mg, you're basically getting the bad without any of the good. I had to get to 100mg in a single dose before it did anything besides make me hungry and sleepy, and even then it was minimal. There is also very little mood benefit to split dosing Seroquel, unless the sedating properties are being used to help manage anxiety. It's just going to keep you sleepy 24x7. 

if your pdoc wants you on it and you both feel it is beneficial, I would ask to titrate upwards to 100mg+, and dose it once a day, not 3x. That should improve a lot of what you're experiencing.

@ihatemyself I agree with @dtac You really need to get up to closer to 200mg before the sedation bits start to go away. And with the IR, you should take it all at night. Yes I know there is an XR which would make you think that you have to take the IR multiple times a day but that is not necessarily the case. Quetiapine has metabolites with longer half-lives which allows IR to be dosed once a day for some people. If you notice improvement but you're still having breakthrough symptoms during the day you can switch to the XR. I've heard many people find the weight gain and sedation normalize after they switch to taking the XR in the evening instead of the IR.

On 6/12/2017 at 6:13 PM, ihatemyself said:

Hello.

After trying zoloft, prozac, abilify, and latuda, I was prescribed seroquel for bpd/depression. I am nearly 3 weeks (19 days to be exact) into and I'm not liking it at all. I have no energy or motivation, really hard to wake up, feel like im almost in a dream, and also experiencing constipation/stomach bloating (triggering body image problems). I am wondering how long I should stay with it to see if the side effects go away. I was thinking 1 month, as my next psych appointment will be right around the 30 day mark. However, I kind of want to stop taking it now, but i dont want to quit too early and possibly miss out on a well working med. The psychs i've seen always say how ap's start working so much faster than ad's so I dont know.

Thanks!

I have taken Seroquel a couple of times over period of many years. Each time I had a very bad response. Made me feel a little crazy and the second time induced suicidal thoughts and self harm. If you are having a bad response I would recommend stopping it immediately. In my experience having a bad response is not worth continuing. It is one thing if you are just struggling with a few side effects, but a bad response can turn worse really really fast. My worst response happened within one day.

The side effects you're experiencing should get much better as your body adjusts.

I call it Slurroquel for a reason. The lack of energy/motivation and difficulty waking up/dream-like feelings should get better over time.

APs work faster usually with regard to acute psychosis and mania.