CrazyBoards.org

I am wondering if anyone has had success with using Lamictal, particularly adjuct to Lithium, to treat their hypomanic or manic episodes. I was having akathisia problems with Rexulti, and am going to give it another try at a lower dose, but am investigating other options if it ends up not working out. I also am a rapid cycler, so if you have problems with this and have used or are still on lamictal and it helps with this please let me know. I ask this because I read in a psychopharmacology textbook that Lithium plus Lamictal is very effective in rapid cycling manic bipolar patients, but of course I would like to hear first hand from patients their own experiences. Thanks in advanced!

Yes I use that combo...it can help in the long term....but it takes weeks even months for full effect plus a long slow titration...but once you get to a good dose it's caused me no side effects and is a good "background" drug 

4 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Yes I use that combo...it can help in the long term....but it takes weeks even months for full effect plus a long slow titration...but once you get to a good dose it's caused me no side effects and is a good "background" drug 

Does it seem like Lamictal helps any with manic symptoms specifically, like pressured speech or decreased need for sleep? I know it can sometimes be hard to tell which med to doing what when we are taking multiple different prescriptions at the same time.

According to my pdoc, lamictal is a good mood stabilizer but not good for treating hypomanic/manic symptoms. At one point I wanted to take lamictal monotherapy but he told me that it wasn't good for mania, more helpful for treating and preventing bipolar depression and help prevent relapse

3 hours ago, rowan77 said:

According to my pdoc, lamictal is a good mood stabilizer but not good for treating hypomanic/manic symptoms. At one point I wanted to take lamictal monotherapy but he told me that it wasn't good for mania, more helpful for treating and preventing bipolar depression and help prevent relapse

This mirrors exactly what my pdoc has told me. I took Lithium + Lamictal for a few months, and it didn't do much for my severely depressed episodes, although I generally felt less depressed overall. Fewer episodes, but they were still really bad.

I didn't feel that lamotrigine helped much with my mania when I took it. It was better at taking situations where I normally would spiral downwards or upwards and slowed them down. Like when I would normally have an inflated depressive response to a negative event, lamotrigine made it less likely that I would descend into a pit. I was able to "get over things" a bit faster. I believe it helped a bit with depression, but I don't think it did much on its own for mania. As @Iceberg so aptly put it, lamotrigine is a background drug and is generally better when used with other medications like an antipsychotic or lithium or valproate for the mania. I believe lamotrigine and lithium is better for bipolar depression whereas lamotrigine and valproate was better for mania.

My understanding is that depakote is best for manic and rapid cycling, while lamictal is better for depression. Lithium is in between, but better for the manic side of things. I haven't had any mania or mixed since being on depakote, but I have no way of knowing whether that's coincidence or not. Many people here have been helped by lamictal, or a combo of lamictal and lithium. Depakote seems less utilized by CBers. Generally speaking, I think that depression is typically significantly more difficult to treat than mania or psychosis. Only a tiny sliver of ADs work for me, for instance, while half of the other psych meds do the trick. The meds that work on psychosis and mania tend to work much faster, too, while those that work on depression can take a very long time before benefits are seen. ADs also seem to poop out on people much more frequently than antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. They also seem more inclined to stop working if you discontinue them for a while. I learned that lesson the hard way, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, dtac said:

This mirrors exactly what my pdoc has told me. I took Lithium + Lamictal for a few months, and it didn't do much for my severely depressed episodes, although I generally felt less depressed overall. Fewer episodes, but they were still really bad.

I guess some mood stabilizers work more for depression and others mania. I generally do not experience much depression, instead I am hypomanic most of the time I am symptomatic. I guess the Lithium Lamictal combo is considered effective for rapid cycling because lithium is providing the anti-manic effects while lamictal is more controlling the bipolar depression, thus providing sustained stabilization.

16 minutes ago, browri said:

I didn't feel that lamotrigine helped much with my mania when I took it. It was better at taking situations where I normally would spiral downwards or upwards and slowed them down. Like when I would normally have an inflated depressive response to a negative event, lamotrigine made it less likely that I would descend into a pit. I was able to "get over things" a bit faster. I believe it helped a bit with depression, but I don't think it did much on its own for mania. As @Iceberg so aptly put it, lamotrigine is a background drug and is generally better when used with other medications like an antipsychotic or lithium or valproate for the mania. I believe lamotrigine and lithium is better for bipolar depression whereas lamotrigine and valproate was better for mania.

Sounds like lamictal is more effective for bp depression than bp mania. I think you might be right about antipsychotics or lithium or depakote are going to be more effective for the mania, but I still struggle with hypo/mania sometimes being on lithium. So I assume adding an antipsychotic to lithium would be better than adding lamictal to lithium, when the goal is to treat acute or non-acute mania

16 minutes ago, Flash said:

My understanding is that depakote is best for manic and rapid cycling, while lamictal is better for depression. Lithium is in between, but better for the manic side of things. I haven't had any mania or mixed since being on depakote, but I have no way of knowing whether that's coincidence or not. Many people here have been helped by lamictal, or a combo of lamictal and lithium. Depakote seems less utilized by CBers. Generally speaking, I think that depression is typically significantly more difficult to treat than mania or psychosis. Only a tiny sliver of ADs work for me, for instance, while half of the other psych meds do the trick. The meds that work on psychosis and mania tend to work much faster, too, while those that work on depression can take a very long time before benefits are seen. ADs also seem to poop out on people much more frequently than antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. They also seem more inclined to stop working if you discontinue them for a while. I learned that lesson the hard way, unfortunately. 

When comparing depakote and lithium for mania, does one perform better than the other? I have never tried Depakote because I had a fairly decent response with my lithium treatment. Did you have a non-response with lithium treatment for mania or did you stop for other reasons? Is lithium and depakote ever taken together, to maybe further enhance anti-manic protection and rapid cycling? I feel like this could be a super effective combo for bipolar patients who experiences significantly more mania than depression

P.S. I also learned the hard way that the same antidepressant doesn't work as well or as long after you have discontinued them for some time.

It would seem that valproate is better for mania, rapid-cycling, and mixed states specifically but doesn't really do much for depression unless the depression is incited by mania, which is common for some. Lithium sits somewhere in between with general control over mania and depression. And lamotrigine is mostly for depression with minor control over mania. So then it comes down to what type are you? Predominantly manic, depressive, mixed? I didn't respond well to lithium. It just generally made me feel ill. I was taking it with lamotrigine. And I felt that lamotrigine was good for my depression and slowing down the cycles a bit but it wasn't good on its own for depression or mania. Been there done that. My pdoc prefers antipsychotics over valproate for mania from what I've gathered and I felt that APs do a good job of controlling my mania thus never the need for me to try valproate. I find oxcarbazepine to be more calming of an anticonvulsant than lamotrigine. That combined with the calming effect of my AP loxapine is what I need for my mania. Then I use Prozac for the depression and Vyvanse to deal with cognitive symptoms.

For those of you that don't know. valproate is synthesized from compounds found in the Valerian plant. You can get valerian extract OTC. It's usually mixed with passionflower as well. Many find that it's helpful as a sleep aid and some for anxiety. I have used it semi-successfully to squash uncomfortable hypomanic episodes. It's like Depakote's distant cousin or ancient ancestor or something. However you want to interpret this. :P

9 hours ago, mmaryland said:

When comparing depakote and lithium for mania, does one perform better than the other? I have never tried Depakote because I had a fairly decent response with my lithium treatment. Did you have a non-response with lithium treatment for mania or did you stop for other reasons? Is lithium and depakote ever taken together, to maybe further enhance anti-manic protection and rapid cycling? I feel like this could be a super effective combo for bipolar patients who experiences significantly more mania than depression

P.S. I also learned the hard way that the same antidepressant doesn't work as well or as long after you have discontinued them for some time.

Lithium seemed to work really well for me at first, but ultimately didn't prevent extreme mood swings on both the manic and depressive side. And since it made me gain a lot of weight very rapidly, my pdoc and I decided to go a different route. Depakote seems to be weight neutral (lucky for me), but doesn't really have any mood stabilizing effects on the depressive side of things as near as I can tell. But for quick relief from mania, mixed, or psychosis, Zyprexa is my wonder drug.

The closest thing to that for the depressive side is a jolt of Ritalin or Adderall. That mostly just helps me from falling off the precipice, but sometimes it actually lifts my mood (but only temporarily). Cymbalta and nortriptyline have thus far not proven to be particularly effective, but I'm only on a low dose of the latter, so I'll see how things go as the dose increases. No sleep meds work for me anymore, not even in combinations of two or three. Fortunately, I've been able to get just enough to prevent me from going completely cuckoo. Nothing triggers mania/mixed/psychosis (and ultimately depression) for me as surely as lack of sleep. 

When I'm in remission, I get on a regular schedule, I eat well, I don't drink, I exercise, I go out and do things, etc., etc. But when I'm not, everything goes to shit. While I can't say for sure, I believe that then"good behavior" is more the result of being in remission than than the cause of it. But perhaps the two both are at work.

As for your question of lithium+depakote, I have never seen that combination in the signature of anyone here, at least as far as I can recall. 

I was on that combo for over a year...not sure if really recommend trying it 

49 minutes ago, Flash said:

Lithium seemed to work really well for me at first, but ultimately didn't prevent extreme mood swings on both the manic and depressive side. And since it made me gain a lot of weight very rapidly, my pdoc and I decided to go a different route. Depakote seems to be weight neutral (lucky for me), but doesn't really have any mood stabilizing effects on the depressive side of things as near as I can tell. But for quick relief from mania, mixed, or psychosis, Zyprexa is my wonder drug.

The closest thing to that for the depressive side is a jolt of Ritalin or Adderall. That mostly just helps me from falling off the precipice, but sometimes it actually lifts my mood (but only temporarily). Cymbalta and nortriptyline have thus far not proven to be particularly effective, but I'm only on a low dose of the latter, so I'll see how things go as the dose increases. No sleep meds work for me anymore, not even in combinations of two or three. Fortunately, I've been able to get just enough to prevent me from going completely cuckoo. Nothing triggers mania/mixed/psychosis (and ultimately depression) for me as surely as lack of sleep. 

When I'm in remission, I get on a regular schedule, I eat well, I don't drink, I exercise, I go out and do things, etc., etc. But when I'm not, everything goes to shit. While I can't say for sure, I believe that then"good behavior" is more the result of being in remission than than the cause of it. But perhaps the two both are at work.

As for your question of lithium+depakote, I have never seen that combination in the signature of anyone here, at least as far as I can recall. 

On 6/13/2017 at 2:16 PM, browri said:

So then it comes down to what type are you? Predominantly manic, depressive, mixed? I didn't respond well to lithium. It just generally made me feel ill. I was taking it with lamotrigine. And I felt that lamotrigine was good for my depression and slowing down the cycles a bit but it wasn't good on its own for depression or mania. Been there done that. My pdoc prefers antipsychotics over valproate for mania from what I've gathered and I felt that APs do a good job of controlling my mania thus never the need for me to try valproate. I find oxcarbazepine to be more calming of an anticonvulsant than lamotrigine. That combined with the calming effect of my AP loxapine is what I need for my mania. Then I use Prozac for the depression and Vyvanse to deal with cognitive symptoms.

For those of you that don't know. valproate is synthesized from compounds found in the Valerian plant. You can get valerian extract OTC. It's usually mixed with passionflower as well. Many find that it's helpful as a sleep aid and some for anxiety. I have used it semi-successfully to squash uncomfortable hypomanic episodes. It's like Depakote's distant cousin or ancient ancestor or something. However you want to interpret this. :P

When it comes down to it, I am predominantly manic. I sometimes have mixed episodes characterized by sleeplessness, irritability and agitation, but rarely experience depressive episodes. When I am not manic or hypomanic, I feel perfectly normal and can function without any significant impairment, go to sleep regularly, carry out my responsibilities as necessary, etcetera. But when I am manic or hypomanic I am considerably less functional and it seems like my response to medications is super decreased. My usual sleeping meds will never put me to sleep during mania, and even seroquel doesn't bring me back to normality and enable me to sleep like it would otherwise. I need a larger dose during acute mania and even then I cannot go to sleep until early hours of the morning (5,6 am). My other medications seem to work less effectively also, for example, my dexedrine gives me more irritability when manic and is not as helpful treating my ADHD. Valium and Xanax seem to have little to no effect either. This is all so frustrating because my med combo works pretty well when im asymptomatic but their effectiveness seems to diminish during mania or hypomania. Usually 25mg seroquel would knock me out within 30 minutes, but while manic it takes several hours to work. Never knew valproate is synthesized from valerian compounds, thats super interesting. I'll have to more heavily consider drinking sleepytime extra hot tea with valerian next time im hypomanic and see how it goes.

17 hours ago, Flash said:

The closest thing to that for the depressive side is a jolt of Ritalin or Adderall. That mostly just helps me from falling off the precipice, but sometimes it actually lifts my mood (but only temporarily). Cymbalta and nortriptyline have thus far not proven to be particularly effective, but I'm only on a low dose of the latter, so I'll see how things go as the dose increases. No sleep meds work for me anymore, not even in combinations of two or three.
Fortunately, I've been able to get just enough to prevent me from going completely cuckoo. Nothing triggers mania/mixed/psychosis (and ultimately depression) for me as surely as lack of sleep. 

Lithium did wonders initially for me as well. I felt like it was bringing me back to life and improving so many aspects of my life. However during acute mania or hypomania it doesn't seem to stabilize my mood like AAP ideally would. My pdoc just called in seroquel yesterday but had to take five 25mg tablets to eventually attain sleep by 5am. You would think an already exhausted and sleep-deprived person would be extra sensitive to the sedation from seroquel, but this seems not to be the case IME. I might ask about zyprexa next time if I dont have success with seroquel for acute mania, maybe ask about zyprexa zydis since its orally dissolving (inducing sleep faster?).

I use stimulants to treat my ADHD, and they do provide me with a mood uplift like you said temporarily. Do you think that sleep meds fail to work for you because of the adderall, in combination with bipolar disorder? I am wondering if my dexedrine makes my manic more treatment resistant <_< I am getting by on little sleep as well but it's affecting my mood and causing me to become irritable. I don't really know my triggers for manic yet as i just received my bipolar diagnosis this January. 

I also am on a regular schedule when im in remission, and eat consistently as well. I am just much more able to fit into a normal schedule and conduct myself healthier. I certainly cannot function normally when hypo/manic, the sleep deprivation mostly reduces my functioning to a significant degree. Thanks for answering the lithium-depakote combo question, i have not seen it in anyone's signature either.

It would sound like you would respond well to Depakote to be honest. It's pretty much the gold standard for controlling mania, but if you need to use an AAP PRN like that Zyprexa really is the way to go. I've never tried the Zydis, but I was using 2.5mg and 5mg tablets to manage my symptoms fairly effectively. Saphris also is very sedating and was very effective at controlling my mania but my pdoc wouldn't let me stay on it because of akathisia. He's not one to use benzos or anticholinergics to treat it.

1 hour ago, browri said:

It would sound like you would respond well to Depakote to be honest. It's pretty much the gold standard for controlling mania, but if you need to use an AAP PRN like that Zyprexa really is the way to go. I've never tried the Zydis, but I was using 2.5mg and 5mg tablets to manage my symptoms fairly effectively. Saphris also is very sedating and was very effective at controlling my mania but my pdoc wouldn't let me stay on it because of akathisia. He's not one to use benzos or anticholinergics to treat it.

I have never tried depakote just because lithium was chosen first and since then I've been pleased with the benefit/side effect ratio enough to not ditch it. I'm scared of suffering severe destabilization if I were to discontinue lithium since it helped so tremendously when I first began it. I guess I will never know about depakote unless I try. With zyprexa, how long does it last, like do the sedative effects linger the next day or is it gone fairly quickly the next day?

5 minutes ago, mmaryland said:

I have never tried depakote just because lithium was chosen first and since then I've been pleased with the benefit/side effect ratio enough to not ditch it. I'm scared of suffering severe destabilization if I were to discontinue lithium since it helped so tremendously when I first began it. I guess I will never know about depakote unless I try. With zyprexa, how long does it last, like do the sedative effects linger the next day or is it gone fairly quickly the next day?

I'm not going to lie. Zyprexa sedation can linger into the next day. It has a half-life of like 33 hours. However the sedation is definitely dose-dependent and would be different from person to person.

3 hours ago, browri said:

I'm not going to lie. Zyprexa sedation can linger into the next day. It has a half-life of like 33 hours. However the sedation is definitely dose-dependent and would be different from person to person.

I guess the Seroquel can always be increased until it's acute anti-manic effectiveness becomes ideal. But then again, like you said, the next day sedation could be greater due to the higher dose. I think in the end, I would prefer to be sedated the next day rather than manic. Because when Im manic I dont sleep at all, which makes me feel exhausted physically and pretty shitty overall

5 hours ago, browri said:

Gold standard...

thats a high bar 

6 hours ago, mmaryland said:

When it comes down to it, I am predominantly manic. I sometimes have mixed episodes characterized by sleeplessness, irritability and agitation, but rarely experience depressive episodes. When I am not manic or hypomanic, I feel perfectly normal and can function without any significant impairment, go to sleep regularly, carry out my responsibilities as necessary, etcetera. But when I am manic or hypomanic I am considerably less functional and it seems like my response to medications is super decreased. My usual sleeping meds will never put me to sleep during mania, and even seroquel doesn't bring me back to normality and enable me to sleep like it would otherwise. I need a larger dose during acute mania and even then I cannot go to sleep until early hours of the morning (5,6 am). My other medications seem to work less effectively also, for example, my dexedrine gives me more irritability when manic and is not as helpful treating my ADHD. Valium and Xanax seem to have little to no effect either. This is all so frustrating because my med combo works pretty well when im asymptomatic but their effectiveness seems to diminish during mania or hypomania. Usually 25mg seroquel would knock me out within 30 minutes, but while manic it takes several hours to work. Never knew valproate is synthesized from valerian compounds, thats super interesting. I'll have to more heavily consider drinking sleepytime extra hot tea with valerian next time im hypomanic and see how it goes.

Lithium did wonders initially for me as well. I felt like it was bringing me back to life and improving so many aspects of my life. However during acute mania or hypomania it doesn't seem to stabilize my mood like AAP ideally would. My pdoc just called in seroquel yesterday but had to take five 25mg tablets to eventually attain sleep by 5am. You would think an already exhausted and sleep-deprived person would be extra sensitive to the sedation from seroquel, but this seems not to be the case IME. I might ask about zyprexa next time if I dont have success with seroquel for acute mania, maybe ask about zyprexa zydis since its orally dissolving (inducing sleep faster?).

I use stimulants to treat my ADHD, and they do provide me with a mood uplift like you said temporarily. Do you think that sleep meds fail to work for you because of the adderall, in combination with bipolar disorder? I am wondering if my dexedrine makes my manic more treatment resistant <_< I am getting by on little sleep as well but it's affecting my mood and causing me to become irritable. I don't really know my triggers for manic yet as i just received my bipolar diagnosis this January. 

I also am on a regular schedule when im in remission, and eat consistently as well. I am just much more able to fit into a normal schedule and conduct myself healthier. I certainly cannot function normally when hypo/manic, the sleep deprivation mostly reduces my functioning to a significant degree. Thanks for answering the lithium-depakote combo question, i have not seen it in anyone's signature either.

I don't recall ever having a single sleep medication work for me. A couple sleep cocktails worked in the past, but no longer. Ritalin used used to be amazing, but it doesn't have that effect anymore. I've been dealing with insomnia my whole life, but it used to be episodic. Starting in 2011 or so, it became chronic. In the past three years, I think I've only had a normal night's sleep once. The flash-point for me (sorry) is 3 hours. Any less thank tha, on average, and I go cuckoo.

I take Zyprexa PRN, and it is sedating the first day. It also makes me feel like complete shit the next day, but not nearly as bad as seroquel does. I'm very fortunate that I don't have to take it daily to get good results.

I've never had Rx stimulants disrupt my sleep. Quite the opposite. I'd take Ritalin, and 45-90 minutes later I would need to take a nap. Unfortunately, that particular effect no longer happens. But they still help with the mood issues. 

My current med regimen Works failrly well. There's just a piece of the puzzle that's missing. I know it's highly unlikely that I'll ever be more than 90% again, but it would be nice to get as close as possible.