CrazyBoards.org

Ok, so I'm writing a paper about ADD/ADHD in school. I'm gonna focus on girls, but also general ADHD stuff.

I did a search on CrazyBoards and was surprised to find so little about hyperfocus. For me this is very characteristic for my ADHD.

Now I'd like to hear some experiences, and if you have any good links that would be wonderful. Google doesn't always turn up the best ones...

I feel almost like a superwoman when hyperfocus kicks in. I can go on for hours, whether its CB or painting or whatever. I don't even need to smoke and I'm a hardcore nicotine addict. And after sitting for hours until someone snaps me out of it I realize I really need to pee, something I don't even notice while I'm at it.

Certain things seems to trigger hyperfocus for me, like being hungry definately helps me focus.

So what kind of things do you want to know? I work as a simultaneous interpreter, which takes uber-hyper-focusing. We work in 15-20 minute shifts and have to stop or our brains will explode.

So my ADD comes in super handy for this! Normally I can't walk from one side of my apartment to the other without getting lost or starting some new project, or simply forgetting what the hell I was doing to begin with. But put me in an interpreting booth, and every cell in my body is focused. It's awesome, man!

I wish I could tell you whether there is a higher percentage of ADD folks in interpreting positions, but I'm not sure.

lily

Well, I'm not a girl, but yeah, hyperfocus.

It's almost as annoying to me as the general lack of focus.

Usually it kicks in when I'm working out, reading, or playing a game.

Then I look up and realize 10 or more hours have passed without me knowing it.

Not good when it's time to go to work and I haven't slept yet, again.

Im a 40-ish male artist who constantly finds himself at the end of 10 to 12 hour marathon work sessions (i like to call it my Art-Zen) it is virtually the only benefit of my ADD and i find that i rely on it to produce work and make needed cash.

Archived