CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
rowan77

Lack of interest and motivation even when mood is stable

I've experienced this on Latuda and Risperdone-- not a depressive episode, but a lack of focus and a diminished interest in things that usually cause me pleasure.  I recently found out that that is a possible side effect of antipsychotics because they are dopamine antagonists. 

I just want to say that I've discovered that even being a lot less depressed doesn't mean you aren't still depressed. I don't know if meds could be the problem, but if it were me, I'd assume I was still mildly depressed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bestdisplayname said:

That sounds like just being lazy, honestly. Brush your damn teeth.

This is NOT helpful to the OP and displays a complete lack of understanding how mental illness manifests itself. This has got to be the worst reply I've seen recently and we've had our share of inappropriate responses. Hygiene is one of the most difficult areas for people with mental illness (myself included), and it doesn't mean we're lazy. It is well known in the psychiatric community. If you can't manage an empathetic response then try not posting at all.

• Like 5

Hey bestdisplayname , the only response I can think of for you is: STFU.

Edited by amskray

Hey bestdisplayname, why don't you go fuck yourself. Would you like us to shame you for having symptoms? Then shut up.

5 hours ago, jt07 said:

This is NOT helpful to the OP and displays a complete lack of understanding how mental illness manifests itself. This has got to be the worst reply I've seen recently and we've had our share of inappropriate responses. Hygiene is one of the most difficult areas for people with mental illness (myself included), and it doesn't mean we're lazy. It is well known in the psychiatric community. If you can't manage an empathetic response then try not posting at all.

MI and depression specially involves a lot of self-deceit, thats one big part of how it manifests itself. Being empathetic does not just mean pitying and feeling sorry for others. I'm sorry if this is too harsh to understand for you. I think it would be very helpful to OP to brush her teeth and make it into a rutine; there is no pill that will create and sustain one for you. I'm happy for OP if she already survived the most dark part of depression, but there will never be a big motivation behind everyday stuff like brushing your teeth and taking showers.

Ok but there's a better way to say that than calling someone lazy. In fact the whole point of this site is to help people with stuff like that. Tough love is different than being an ass

• Like 5

Do not behave like a twat. I don't care about your theory of disease. We're talking about an extremely common symptom of depression, and this is a support site. Two mods have told you this is inappropriate behavior, and we have the final say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bestdisplayname said:

MI and depression specially involves a lot of self-deceit, thats one big part of how it manifests itself. Being empathetic does not just mean pitying and feeling sorry for others. I'm sorry if this is too harsh to understand for you. I think it would be very helpful to OP to brush her teeth and make it into a rutine; there is no pill that will create and sustain one for you. I'm happy for OP if she already survived the most dark part of depression, but there will never be a big motivation behind everyday stuff like brushing your teeth and taking showers.

Where did you get your doctorate in psychology or psychiatry? Otherwise, you have no business calling someone lazy and shaming them just out of some perverted notion of tough love. I agree that empathy does not just mean pitying and feeling sorry for others. But it sure as hell doesn't mean calling people lazy and shaming them for a symptom of their disease. And, yes, this is a SYMPTOM of the disease. The OP came here looking for help, and we are a support site so support we should give. I don't know what your diagnosis is, but if it is not bipolar then you don't even have any business posting on this board.

A word of advice: If I were you I'd reel it back in and stop arguing with mods.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bestdisplayname said:

That sounds like just being lazy, honestly. Brush your damn teeth.

How dare you. You know NOTHING about me and my daily struggles. You have NO right to tell me I'm lazy. You obviously have no understanding about chronic mental illness so what are you even doing on this board. I am very upset by your very thoughtless comment. Think carefully before you speak in future because you could really hurt others as well as me

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rowan77 said:

How dare you. You know NOTHING about me and my daily struggles. You have NO right to tell me I'm lazy. You obviously have no understanding about chronic mental illness so what are you even doing on this board. I am very upset by your very thoughtless comment. Think carefully before you speak in future because you could really hurt others as well as me

I so agree with you and think that you handled this well.

I agree that tidbit of bullshit said is extremely harmful. I can so relate to you. I have trouble getting off my ass and doing things, but once I'm off it, I can generally get it done.

However, not to make you feel bad or humblebrag, pdoc says I've been in remission since early 2014, with little to no symotoms, but fuck, getting started, or keeping interest still aren't 100%. Its not laziness, more fear?

But when symptomatic, ha! Forget about it!

I'm so sorry you were attacked by an ignoramus. Everyone has days like you describe, but not constant. It fucking sucks. I am glad your mood is stable.

It takes time to get everything stable. Its baby steps. Mood stable? Check! Next? Give it time. Don't beag yourself up. Its not instant. Stable mood is the start.  The rest will follow. Adjusting back is hard.

You're strong. Look at how yiu handled mr. bad advice. That shows your mind is in a good place. I'd rather see someone yell at someone else than keep it in and harm themselves or ruminate. I'd really rather have neither scenario.

You have my support, and the other mods too. You are not lazy. I am glad your mood is stable! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, San said:

But when symptomatic, ha! Forget about it!

Ditto! I tried and tried to get into an exercise routine while I was really depressed bc the logical part of my brain knows exercise is important and actually helps give you more energy.  The most i could do was once a week for 25 minutes. For years! Only when I went to a clinic for 2 1/2 months and had all kinds of therapy and exercise classes available,as well as medication and co-patients who I enjoyed socializing with,wad I able to make exercise a habit.  I really wish that every single one of us here had access to that kind of treatment! 

And none of that treatment included anyone calling me lazy or putting me down. On the other hand,no one pitied me,either. My theory is that most of us have learned to put ourselves down really well. We don't need any outside help!

• Like 1

@rowan77, don't let an ignorant person make you feel bad. We've all been there and know how it is and how incredibly difficult it is to do even the smallest things sometimes. This guy simply doesn't understand anymore than a lot of people who have never dealt with MI. Pay him no mind. You are not lazy and actually are quite strong to fight this illness every day.

Edited by jt07
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, jt07 said:

@rowan77, don't let an ignorant person make you feel bad. We've all been there and know how it is and how incredibly difficult it is to do even the smallest things sometimes. This guy simply doesn't understand anymore than a lot of people who have never dealt with MI. Pay him no mind. You are not lazy and actually are quite strong to fight this illness every day.

@San and @jt07....thank you so much for your kind words. I really felt that I was being attacked. The words "brush your damn teeth" upset me immensely and made me feel very small. I am quite a sensitive person though.....

• Like 1

I'm looking at your Rx list and am completely astonished you are not catatonic.  Of course your flat.  Depakote and Seroquel are both known to cause these kinds of problems.  Maybe reassess your dosing?

On 6/22/2017 at 11:45 AM, dtac said:

I've had this problem, and it has been exacerbated by some antipsychotics, most notably Seroquel. It worked, but it killed my motivation and gave me a flat affect, so I never looked like I cared about anything. Doing anything felt like a total chore. I was content to sit around and do nothing 24/7. Only thing that helped was getting off Seroquel. As soon as it got out of my system, my mood brightened and the flat affect went away.

I want to get off seroquel cause I think it's my culprit as well. Slowly tapering down so I don't rebound

21 hours ago, phidippus said:

I'm looking at your Rx list and am completely astonished you are not catatonic.  Of course your flat.  Depakote and Seroquel are both known to cause these kinds of problems.  Maybe reassess your dosing?

I never said I was flat and I am certainly not catatonic. I am very stable on my current medication. Yes I lack motivation from time to time but doing well overall.  You are not in a position to tell me to reassess my dosing. I wouldn't be taking these medications at those doses if I didn't have to...believe me.

@rowan77 I'm sorry you are being attacked more than once now. You definitely don't deserve this bad treatment. 

Just remember your Dr prescribed your medications. A Dr who knows you and sees you in person and knows your full psych history. Don't worry about what some random person on the internet thinks you should or shouldn't be taking med wise. 

I am glad you are stable. That's what matters.