CrazyBoards.org

New apartment, noisy road...

hollow log

I've just moved into a new apartment with a good friend of mine.  We found it about 4 weeks ago, and applied through a real estate agency, and got a 12 month lease, and we were thrilled. 

It's a good apartment: spacious, bright, generally clean, and it has a good feel.  BUT, upon moving in yesterday I realised how damn noisy it is.  I expected it to be noisy to a certain extent.... I had just stayed around the corner with a friend, on a similarly busy road, in the front bedroom, and I found it ok....  but this is pretty bad.  This road has semi-trailer, trams, cars, buses constantly going past.  It also has a pedestrian crossing right out the front, and when people walk it makes that horrible sound. 

My room is at the front, because it is bigger and I need it to fit my desk in.  The second bedroom at the back is no better really as the sound bounces off the walls down the alley way.  Apartment is on the third floor, which i think makes it worse too.  I slept here last night and woke early this morning with all the noise of morning traffic.

I've thought about putting up heavy curtains, so I tried covering the windows with a blanket, and then a feather quilt, to get some idea, but the noise is coming through the walls also.

My instincts are telling me already that I won't be able to live here.  I can see my stress levels rising, then anxiety, then depression setting in.  I don't think I can relax here.  I'm just not good with high amounts of noise, especially constant noise.  I will go nuts.  Does anyone else relate to this??

I will have to sub-let the room, hoping my friend won't get too pissed off, but what else can I do??  I know I've made a mistake by not checking the noise, but we had 5 mins to inspect the place... it was something I didn't pick up.... damn!!!

We actually *own* a house like that. The ambulances and fire trucks cut down the side street, sirens blaring. Fun, during the summer, as we have no a/c and the windows are open. For me, anyway, I got used to it. It actually was bizarre the first time we started closing the windows in the fall... almost too quiet. To each his/her own, are you able to give it a shot for a month or two to see if you can handle it? Personally, I think it's kind of like airplanes flying overhead... after a while, you just tune it out, it's background noise.

Good luck.

Yeah I will give it a go for a little while, and see how I go.  Though I think some people handle noise better than others.  I've never handled it too well.  I can only enter shopping centres for a little while, before I get anxious, and sweaty, and hyperventilate.  When I'm depressed, or anxious, I'm extra sensitive to noise, which only makes it worse.  Even if I more or less tune out to it, I think it would still have some sort of effects on my stress levels, or it would become noticeable during days of anxiety or depression.  I could give it a go, I don't want my health to majorly deteriorate.  I've come too far for that.

Right Hollow Log, you really have to know yourself and know what you can and can't put up with--your emotional well-being is far more important than possibly pissing off your roomie and the hassle of moving.

I'm w/ Rabbit on the noise thing, tho, personally. I live in the most crowded city in the world, and hate hate hate crowds, and pretty much refuse to wait in line for anything, or go shopping during sale season.

But I like being alone, but having people nearby. So my apartment, located as it is with a lovely view of the commuter train tracks, loads of bars and restaurants on the block, drunk salarymen staggering home at all hours, is in a pretty noisy area, but it suits me perfectly.

When I first moved here it reminded me of college--you know, those Fri/Sat nights when you're in studying, but just about everyone else is out partying? That kinda feeling. Nowadays quiet residential areas kinda creep me out.

Good luck!

lily

Heya hollow log,

I do best in quiet, for sleeping and mornings.

I get so bloody overstimulated in malls/street-fests/parties that I have panicked a few times.

We have to know ourselves.

Would be good, I think, if the non-dx'd would know *themselves* as well.

But yeah, that's one reason I come up to this small town at times, is to get some quiet.

Apartment sounds awesome, though, so worth a shot.

--ncc--

At my previous apratment I had all of that, plus a railway ... and a prison close enough I could hear the

morning announcements from some mornings. For a while I had an aspiring drummer living downstairs.

All that I was able to get used to. Now, I have a nightclub half a block away that now stays open to

5AM on weekends. I can hear the thumpf-thumpf-thumpf of the "music" until then anyway.

Give it a chance.  If it still doesn't work out, there are good cheap earplugs that cut out most of

what is bothering you.  For US$18 I got a decent set of industrial ear muffs.  It turns out they

work on thump-thump music too!

Heya,

Trooper reminded me.

Earplugs help a lot, even to the point of a partner with sleep apnea.

Also, a white-noise generator like a fan or small vapouriser helps to soothe me and give me a constant sound to focus on.

Don't know how I forgot that.

--ncc--

Hollow, I can totally relate -- it's not just the noise for me, but also the fact that the noise is beyond my control.

You can, however, influence your perception of the noise.

There are a lot of white-noise machines out there, but even a simple desk fan can generate a steady enough noise that it kind of 'cancels out', to a small extent, the noise from the street level.

That having been said, I would agree with others who've said you should give it some time.  If you hear a noise often enough eventually you stop hearing it. 

Hopefully you'll find a way to avoid letting it get to you!

Yeah, I'm going to get some ear plugs from the pharmacy... they're cheap, and I've used them before to sleep and they are ok.

Been speaking to my dad, and he's going to look into getting some special sound insulating curtains, which might help.  I'm going to put things like bookcases against the outer walls in my room.  And my flatmate and I are going to hang a lot of sound absorbing nice things on the walls.

The white noise generating idea is a good once.  My mum said to get a couple of those water fountains, and I have a cd with an hour of tropical rain on it which could help....

we'll see how I go.

we'll see how I go.

Good deal, hollow log. You have no idea how much I HATE shopping malls, big stores, crowds, etc. It becomes sensory overload, very fast and extremely overwhelming. So it's something I deal with too. And maybe this will be too detrimental (I hope not, for your sake). At least it's winter, so the windows are closed, and maybe you can acclimate slowly? (or maybe you have a/c, and won't have to open them at all?)

As I said before, good luck. For me, it's more about creating my own safety spot on the *inside*. I hope you can find your peace.

Yeah, I'm going to get some ear plugs from the pharmacy... they're cheap, and I've used them before to sleep and they are ok.

Been speaking to my dad, and he's going to look into getting some special sound insulating curtains, which might help.  I'm going to put things like bookcases against the outer walls in my room.  And my flatmate and I are going to hang a lot of sound absorbing nice things on the walls.

The white noise generating idea is a good once.  My mum said to get a couple of those water fountains, and I have a cd with an hour of tropical rain on it which could help....

we'll see how I go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One time we did a room in cork board, have also done eggshell foamy stuff (rehearsal rooms), Cork board is more aesthetically pleasing, but on all four walls might be a bit much. Look into acoustical tiles and stuff on the web. Might be pricey, but in the long run worth your money. You'll have your own inner sanctum. I buy the foam ear plugs at the grocery store...a dozen pair for 2 bucks. I'm a very light sleeper. I also run a small fan, when I feel to anxious to "close up my head" with the ear plugs.

If I can sleep well, that's all that matters. Daytime noise is a PITA, but if noise is fucking with my sleep, we are looking at full on insanity and backsliding depression.

Let us know!

I used to live adjacent to a railroad track. Windows rattling the whole nine yards, and believe it or not, I did develop a tolerance, but that was long ago and before I was this much of a tweak. Sound and smells are very triggering for me too. I feel for you.

Hugs,

S9

I hope I do go ok.... feel pretty depressed this morning.  Actually this is the most depressed I've felt since I went on lamictal in August.  That's not good. It doesn't help that my pop passed away last week, but this ain't helping either.  Could crawl in a hole today.

It's so funny, because i'm exactly the opposite.  I love background noise.  The sound of people living makes me feel comfortable.  So I fall asleep faster and more easily if I'm not the last one to go to sleep (and I can still hear someone in the house/apt moving around), or if I can hear a party next door, or something.  I don't know. 

My room is right on an alley, and I can hear everything that goes on out there.  But I like it... it makes me feel hypervigilant.  ;)

Once, though, I lived next door to these people who would play this awful rap music on a giant stereo that was on the other side of the wall my bed was on.  That was awful.

I think the white noise idea is really good- are there noises which are pleasant to you?  I love the sound of trains.  And I also like the sound of people typing.  Strange comfort noises. 

I hope things pick up for you.  And again, I'm sorry about your Pop.

I hope I do go ok.... feel pretty depressed this morning.  Actually this is the most depressed I've felt since I went on lamictal in August.  That's not good. It doesn't help that my pop passed away last week, but this ain't helping either.  Could crawl in a hole today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in a widows' group a few years back and this very proper looking young lady, widowed with five children under the age of 12, during her introduction said, "Hi, my name is Mary Catherine, my husband..., and she finished with, and this really fucking sucks. It really fucking bites the big one."

And we all just started laughing...gallows humor, but it was so out of what seemed to be her character, PTA, SUV...

I hope you get through it alright. You've had a few really, really shitty weeks. And it does really bite the fucking big one. If subleting saves your sanity, and your innervoice is telling you that, my suggestion would be move on it before you get too depressed to do anything. Talk to your family and docs and the usual good advice. But don't let pissing off your roommate stop you from taking care of you.

Hugs,

S9

Well, decided to move out today.  Flatmate is really cool about it.  Will try and sub-let the room, which could be difficult because of the noise, but we'll see how we go.

I feel incredibly relieved... going with my gut feeling.  Staying would have been an unhealthy choice... I am sure of that now.  I really have no doubt that it would have triggered more depression, or exacerbated depression. Some people can live with noise, but nup, not me.  Plus, I'm writing a thesis this year... need quiet for that.

Gut feelings are incredibly important. Glad you made the decision, and that your flatmate's not giving you a hard time. And you're writing a thesis??? You didn't mention that part! lol. Our differences make the world go 'round, yada yada. Good luck finding a quiet sanctuary.

Archived