CrazyBoards.org

seroquel for sleep

hello!  i am bpI and, of course, having trouble falling and staying asleep.

i was wondering if 25mg of seroquel would work for this and, if so, would it cause weight gain at that amount?  is it enough to help with busy brain as well?  do you have to keep increasing it for it to work?

i think i had another question, but can't remember what it is!

oh well.  any and all info would be great!

thank you and keep on keepin' on!

kathryn

Seroquel at 25mg is enough for some people. Actually, at lower doses Seroquel can be more sedating than at higher doses. I can't remember if I started on 25mg or 50mg but it knocked me out for at least 12+ hours. I take 100mg now and still sleep a deep, deep sleep. Trying to wake up in the morning is a bitch though.

Seroquel, well some people do gain weight, for others it is weight neutral. I suspect there is a relationship with the dose and how long you take it and weight gain. I have had to taper down from 400mg to 100mg of Seroquel. I did not gain any weight. One thing that is nice is because you taek Seroquel at bedtime, if cravings, etc kick in or get bad, at least you are asleep. As always, YMMV. I seem to be an excepetion to soem of the side effects of the APs. I did gain weight on Zyprexa, but I have never experienced any cravings for sweets or carbs on any AP.

Good luck. And I hope your pdoc has Rx'd the Seroquel.

Erika

I love my Seroquel.  It quiets my mind and I sleep soundly.  Getting up in the morning is rather difficult.  I'm going to ask my pdoc if there is something I can take to help remedy that.

I take 75mg.  My pdoc gave me a sample pack and I tried 25mg and 50mg and found that 75mg was perfect.

Certainly at a low dose the risk of any side effects improves for any drug.

Seroquel has an excellent side effect profile for an anti psychotic drug.  Its most common side effects are moderate weight gain and "zombieitis" - some people feel a little drugged out for the first few weeks but this passes.

Mentions of TD and EPS (Extra Pyramidial Symptoms) are included in the PI sheet of all anti-psychotic medications, but in reality the risks are very low with the newer meds like seroquel.

Tests performed on the safety of the drug showed a 200-300% more lilkely incidence of EPS for patients who took the placebo over patients on any dose of the drug.  In other words patients were more likely to report problems if they werent on the drug, just taking sugar pills.

So make what you want of that ;)

I personally am prescribed seroquel for OCD and psychotic depression and it works really well for me at a high dose. 

Many people report however that in low doses its really effective for insomnia.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I used to take up to 800mg of Seroquel...

At doses under 200mg, I was literally slobbering, crawling on the floor (after falling out of bed attempting to get up), having to have someone lift me onto the toilet, feed me, and do everything for me. I was like a baby. I tried to eat and had to be fed. I drooled. It was so humiliating!

AAP drugs are hard drugs. I don't think that is emphasized enough. They are RXed for things like sleep when there are other ways to deal with that. If you want to control your BP and go with Seroquel that is one thing, but I believe, and just my personal opinion, that for sleep it is not worth it. I had so much trouble, not being able to even move or use motor skills and whatever when under 200mg that I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

We also had to go up very, very slowly. I reached a peak after about 4 months on the stuff. I was ok but gained weight and was a zombie. I wouldn't take any chances messing with what is a very hard drug if I were you. It is a "lighter" AAP, however these are hard drugs, do not be mistaken. they have enormous central nervous system effects- they effect your whole body and brain. There is nothing like feeling helpless and gagged on Seroquel. Trust me, I'd never do it.

• 2 weeks later...

25mg of Seroquel gave me sleep, but made me feel drugged. It was very hard to get up in the mornings, and an hour after taking it I felt like I was extremely drunk (bad memory, difficulty in not saying/doing inappropriate things, messed up motor control).  Also, once I stopped taking it, I realised it had made me gain weight - dunno how much, cos I don't weight myself, but I've now got a sticky-out fat belly where it always used to be flat....  :embarassed:

• 5 months later...

Seroquel at 25mg is enough for some people. Actually, at lower doses Seroquel can be more sedating than at higher doses. I can't remember if I started on 25mg or 50mg but it knocked me out for at least 12+ hours. I take 100mg now and still sleep a deep, deep sleep. Trying to wake up in the morning is a bitch though.

25 mg seroquel will knock me out for 12+ hours, still feel sedated for 2-3 hours after I wake up.

It's also my own personal 'cure' for a hangover. Once I wake up 12 hours later, I've actually slept through the worst of my hangover cos I was in a deep sleep from the seroquel. Quite a nifty trick I've recently discovered. I'm not advising to mix it with alcohol but it hasn't done me any damage to my knowledge.

I found 25 mg to be a nice sleeping pill, but at that dosage it will not help you with the noise in your head.

The min therapeutic dosage is 300 mg (according to newer studies), although many report beneficial results with lower doses, even 100 mg.

i gained maybe 5lbs when i took seroquel, and i took it for a few months at a high dose. it didn't make me have any cravings. zyprexa, on the other hand, turned me into a dairy queen monster! i was like a smoker needing to smoke- that's how bad i needed my DQ. i was off of work at the time on unpaid disability, so i only had a limited amount of money, and i still bought my DQ. but that's zyprexa.

seroquel was fine. it just gave me nightmares. i've heard that's not uncommon.

Seroquel gave me nightmares, and sleep paralysis with the hypnagogic hallucinations and all (once had three episodes in about 2 hours; waking up the third time I decided to take rohypnol rather than see if there were more in store for me). And it made me panick twice. From some point on I was taking rohypnol every night, so that seroquel would let me sleep. Admittedly my prescription was for BP, and therefore dosage titrated to higher than those for insomnia would, but I never felt seroquel was sufficiently sedating below some 300mg to put me to sleep in and of itself.

i don't know...my personal OPINION WITH NO SCIENTIFIC BASIS, is that it wouldn't be a good idea to take an AAP for something as mild as a sleeping problem. there are other drugs specifically for that. aap drugs are very powerful and act in your body in a much different way than sleeping drugs.

my personal opinion is that taking seroquel only to go to sleep isn't the way to go, that sleeping drugs or benzos are far better. yes, seroquel is non-habit forming, however it messes with your whole body in a profound way.

and it gave me nightmares ;)

Well, Seroquel IS prescribed as a sleep aid. Particularly if there is sleep anxiety. And it is also prescribed at low doses for anxiety. So, it can end up helping with multiple aspects of MI.

I didn't notice any weight/food effects. I had some of the most detailed/vivid/technicolor dreams that I still recall with some amazement, none of them scary.

a.m.

I tried it for a few months at 50mg at first it worked great but it began to taper off in it's effectiveness but still had the awful bad mornings where I struggled to get up and was very spacey till about noon. I did not gain or loose any weight from it though.

Archived