CrazyBoards.org

bad sportsmanship?

is anyone else here a bad sport? i am not sure whether this is a product of MI or just me having a shitty personality or what. i play varsity squash, and when i am playing, i am pretty rude to my opponent (within reason, nothing outrageous) and i get angry easily, which helps to a point (i feel like if you're too nice, you can't be competitive) but i probably go overboard. after we play, we have to sit with our opponent and ref the next match and if i lose, the LAST thing i feel like doing is sitting down nicely with my conqueror and cooperatively interacting with her. other people on my team seem to handle this better. just curious...

it's a racquet sport...very east coast and pretty esoteric in the united states. today i fell flat on my face (not sure exactly how...didnt trip over my feet or the other girl or anything on the court) and i wouldnt even take the girl's hand when she tried to help me up...i was too mad.

ironic comparison to chess, though bc squash tends to be played by very proper people (or people who are fakely proper anyway.)

I've never been a good sport, even in cross country. I used to take every opportunity to step on or trip people. Same in coed soccer. They did the same to me. There isn't any such thing as good sportsmanship. We all stand there at the end (like olympic medal winners) and try to look all proper, but when we're playing it is MORE than a GAME! we TRAINED for this!

As for chess...

I had NEVER played chess before. I was a sophomore in college and a friend asked me to play a game with him.l He was one of these really serious players who went to competitions, watched chess videos, read chess books, and so on. So I said I'd play. I had a brief briefing on what the pieces did, and took no time in deciding where to make each move. I just did it.

BUT I WON SOMEHOW!!!

I've never seen anyone cry like he cried. I didn't cry so bad at my father's death. Great sportsmanship! Hat's off to you!

We also used to play Risk and card games. Usually he was only mad if he lost one of those,, but some other times he'd get really red and have to leave the area. I laughed. I could care less. I got out my aggressions elbowing people running in the woods over logs and mud!

--------mean loon----------

Archived