CrazyBoards.org

My partner died 3 months ago of a heroin overdose. It was extremely traumatic, as you can imagine. He is not my first partner to pass away in this manner. He and I unfortunately only got to be together for 3 months and it was unlike any relationship I had ever had. I let my guards down and allowed myself to be loved and I truly loved him. Our relationship was amazing until he relapsed. It was recognized to me by many people after he died that our relationship was very unique and that not many people get to have something like that ever. He was my soul mate. I was with a man for 5 years and never felt that kind of connection.

His death has left a void. I acted recklessly, hooked up with people, reached out to people who didn't respect or care about me, and of course never felt connected (obviously unhealthy behavior).

I was also sexually assualted by someone I really trusted just a month after his death and am in the process of court cases.

But I met this guy and it was weird. He's perfect and has been wonderful and understanding in the short time we've been involved, but it hasn't been very long since my partner's death. I've questioned all of my motivations as well as his and feel insecure, but ultimately we have genuine well-intentioned feelings for each other. I worry I need more time alone, but he makes me feel happy in the capacity that another person is able and we have a wonderful thing going.

Now I feel extremely guilty. Every time I realize I'm happy, I just stop and feel overwhelming guilt.

I also have developed incredibly low self esteem since my partner died. It is so hard for me to accept that this man is genuine and cares and desires me and isn't just going to abandon me as soon as open up and I trust him.

I feel conflicted. I want this. I do. And he knows what's going on and has been completely accepting of me. He even is willing to go slow and give me space to grieve. But I feel like I'm abandoning my dead partner even though in reality he abandoned me.

Feedback, love, and support would be great.

Edited by amandabines999

Hi.  I had a finance Who died from a drug over does fivee years ago.  I still haven't delt with it. I miss him and the life we could have had.  I'm also angry. I'm with someone else Now. I need to talk about it with a Counsler.  They never seem to want to talk about it with me.  Maybe it's the way I come accross.  Sorry I'm not much help.  I feel for you for real.  I hope you can talk to someone Who can help