CrazyBoards.org

It is extremely difficult to explain something like Flat Affect. For me, I have a hard time defining it without using the word "nothing". Describing it seems especially hard when explaining to people which who have never felt it before. I might have to think about your question, and leave my one word description as it stands.

But as a continuum, when people ask "how are you feeling", all I can reply with is "I don't know". I suppose I'm no help at all ;) .

Twitch

It is extremely difficult to explain something like Flat Affect. For me, I have a hard time defining it without using the word "nothing". Describing it seems especially hard when explaining to people which who have never felt it before. I might have to think about your question, and leave my one word description as it stands.

But as a continuum, when people ask "how are you feeling", all I can reply with is "I don't know". I suppose I'm no help at all ;) .

Twitch

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i get not being able to articulate your thoughts. More speficically, I was wondering, do you still experience things like tiredness or hunger, or are you completely numb?

do you still experience things like tiredness or hunger, or are you completely numb?

That is actually a hard question for me. I already have a hard time with feeling hunger, but the Flat Affect can intensify hunder "numbness". Although with tiredness, that's not the case. In matter of fact, at times, I feel overly tired. Of coarse then again, I'm Anemic and energy levels are sparse. Again, I'm not much help.

I can tell you this though. The odd thing for me is that I (at times) can feel emotions physically but still be completely emotionally void. Like when I'm stressed or anxious I can feel tightness in muscles and pressure in my brain and lungs. But my brain doesn't comprehend exactly what that means or what emotional problems is causing such tension, and sometimes am oblivious that it is an actual emotional problem verses physical.

Twitch

• 1 month later...

My son reports feeling empty. Just an ultimate "don't care feeling"  beyond merely "don't give a shit".  It's like when it's there, everything leaves him cold, untouched. Sometimes it has come and gone for minutes at a time, in and out, but mostly it's just a kind of dulling...as if you took the color out of a picture (oddly what my Windows program is doing now, but that's neither here nor there) . Only greys left.

And most of all,  not even missing the color.

It seemed most appropriate to post here, being a symptom of schizophrenia

Can someone explain to me, the experience of flattened affect? I know what it means, definition-wise, but how do you perceive it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If someone came up to me at a time when I was Currently in the midst of a psychotic break or had really bad neg symptoms and said "my mum died last night" I would usually stand there staring at them waiting for the next bit. After a while I may see how distressed they are and think "should I have an emotional response to that?". I usually copy what other people do, if they smile: I smile. If they frown:I frown. It's the same if things happen to me personally.

My landlord is currently trying to sell my flat. I hate moving but it didn't occur to me that I should be upset until I told someone and they said "Oh no that's terrible".

Flattened affect is something I really hate. Your emotions are blunted and motivation is hard to come by. It's like emotions, drive, imagination and concentration are semi-blocked by the meds, although they say the illness plays a part too. I really try to use my imagination but it's way harder these days than just before the illness, when I was writing 1000s of words a week on European literature for a high-level university course. I can hardly read a book these days.

Archived