CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
heilmania

Horses & Crazies

I feel like I've seen a lot of people 'round these parts talking about horses- That may be because I've worked with horses, so my ears perk up when I hear "horse", but I think there is a strong connection between people who are dealing with MI and also work with horses/ride horses/etc. Being around horses has been shown to be super therapeutic for people with various illnesses.

So, I drove draft horses for three years while giving historical tours of the city. I have lots of funny stories.

What about you guys? Do you ride? Drive? Just pet horses because they make you feel nice? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

My EX had a horse thing. She was obsessed with them, so after we broke up I am so totally OVER horses. She was later diagnosed as bipolar. She even volunteered at a therapy farm once when she was living in Connecticut. 

Once we went on a valentine's trip to Canon Beach, OR and she refused to be intimate because at the time she didn't have a horse and wanted a horse so bad, it was all she could think about. *eye roll* she was crying and everything. 

So, no. No horses for me. 

The horses sound great, I'm sure they're therapeutic.

I'm beating my head against the wall right now, my 58 yo sister is looking at a house that has a stable. She wants to have a horse. Please understand, she's never taken care of anything bigger than a chihuahua, she has a long history of obsessing on something, merely to drop it months/years later. Any advice on how hard it is to take good care of horses would be much appreciated. 

But yeah, fully supportive of you guys that have the love for them. It's awesome. 

On 7/14/2017 at 1:08 PM, Rabbit37 said:

. Any advice on how hard it is to take good care of horses would be much appreciated. 

OMG horses are so hard to take care of. Their food is expensive. Their feet are expensive. Everything costs $$$, eats a hole through your wallet. My ex gf had 2 of them. She was highly dedicated to them and would ride them everyday, groom them 3 times a week, and seasonally get about 60 bales of alfalfa for them. The ferrier would come out as needed and clip their hooves. 

Unless your sister is going to really focus on the horses every single day, and groom and get lots of food and get the ferrier out, etc.. then the recommendation from me would be to have her start small. Have her get a goat first. I had goats, they're great. lol

23 minutes ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

OMG horses are so hard to take care of. Their food is expensive. Their feet are expensive. Everything costs $$$, eats a hole through your wallet. My ex gf had 2 of them. She was highly dedicated to them and would ride them everyday, groom them 3 times a week, and seasonally get about 60 bales of alfalfa for them. The ferrier would come out as needed and clip their hooves. 

Unless your sister is going to really focus on the horses every single day, and groom and get lots of food and get the ferrier out, etc.. then the recommendation from me would be to have her start small. Have her get a goat first. I had goats, they're great. lol

Agreed.

Everything is complicated with horses- if you feed them too soon after exercise, they can colic. If they have too much sweet grain, they can get laminitis. Literally, if they get into the grain and eat too much, you HAVE to call a vet. If you don't groom them really well, they can end up with sores after a ride. If you are hosing them down after exercise, start with the feet, slowly work your way up, and do the heart area and kidney areas LAST. If you just spray them down, they can go into shock.

Lordy, this is just a teensy bit of my horse knowledge. They're very, very delicate animals, despite their size. You really, really have to know what you're doing to keep a horse healthy. And you have to have $$$.

Could she just take riding classes for a while until she gets the hang of things?

Edited by heilmania
added something.

If she does get this house, I will do my best to talk her out of it. I already assumed they would be crazy hard to care for and expensive, but you guys opened my eyes further.

a good example of her is that in the 90's she suddenly decided she wanted to own a flower shop. She had absolutely zero business education, and no common sense, and... she knew nothing about flowers, much less arranging them. Bought a shop for 250K (because she wanted it, and stupid spineless husband of hers just shrugged his shoulders and said okay). Yep, she ran it into the ground, they declared bankruptcy two years later.

it would scare me to think of this level of foolishness with a majestic animal. To be honest, don't know if she has even ridden one. 

As much as I can't stand talking to her, I'll rally for this one. Thanks! 

On 7/14/2017 at 3:08 PM, Rabbit37 said:

The horses sound great, I'm sure they're therapeutic.

I'm beating my head against the wall right now, my 58 yo sister is looking at a house that has a stable. She wants to have a horse. Please understand, she's never taken care of anything bigger than a chihuahua, she has a long history of obsessing on something, merely to drop it months/years later. Any advice on how hard it is to take good care of horses would be much appreciated. 

But yeah, fully supportive of you guys that have the love for them. It's awesome. 

A good way to get the "horse fix" is to start volunteering or otherwise spending time at a barn. It's absolutely possible to be around animals (particularly large ones) without owning them!

• Like 1

I appreciate rosie's and san's advice, but you don't understand. My sister wants to OWN one, she thinks it would be "neat". Trust me, I am completely, totally, 1000% against it. 

Okay, just so you can understand her mindset (and her husband's), back in the 90's they lived with a small dog in a trailer (nothing against trailers, my husband grew up in one). They left for overnight, chaining their small dog to one of the supports under the trailer. Well, as dogs will do, somehow she managed to get tangled up, couldn't reach her food and water. My BIL's reaction? Well, if she was stupid enough to do that, she deserved it. My mother IMMEDIATELY drove down to take the dog. They are unworthy of animal ownership. 

Sorry, I have waaaay taken this off topic, and for that dear OP I apologize sincerely. Just wanted to let you know that volunteering etc will fall on deaf ears. 

Is it any wonder that I rarely speak to her, she's not part of my life. I'll still step in on the horse subject, but that's it. I can't stand her. 

Okay, I'm exiting now, and hopefully the topic will get back on track. Again, my apologies. 

19 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Sorry, I have waaaay taken this off topic, and for that dear OP I apologize sincerely.

You're fine! No worries! :)

You know, San, I'm going to copy and paste this to an email to my sister. The wealth of information you provided is staggering, she HAS to read this. It really did make me sick when she got excited about a horse. Yeah. I can't let this happen. 

Thank you so much, san, sorry to take up your time, but it will do a world of good. If she won't listen to me, I'll relay it to my father, he's an extremely practical level-headed person, she might listen to him. I'm just an obama-hugging democrat. What do I know :wall:

thank you!

• Like 1

@San, I appreciate you. I only worked WITH horses- they didn't belong to me. They were owned by the carriage company I worked for. I wished I did own a few, honestly, mostly the horses I worked with for a year or two at a time pretty consistently. 

The cool thing is that in the three years I was a carriage driver, I drove 25 different horses, either for exercise during the winter or giving historical tours in the spring, summer and fall. I worked night shift for a while as the only girl, literally hustling carriage rides alone, or with a coworker and their horse, on a corner, until like midnight, mostly trying to come up with ways to not have to pee, playing with my horse, or swinging the end of my lead rope in new, super-creative ways, because I was bored as shit waiting for rides to pop up. 

It was an incredible job that paid commission and tips only, no hourly rate (unless I was doing a wedding job or a parade or something), so it was awesome for the time I was in college. The boss was a bitch, but the supervisors had been driving 20+ years each. I learned to drive as the jumper/ground crew during training, then continued to learn more and more about horses. I almost dropped out of art school to work with horses forever. 

Lucky for me, my husband has been driving about 22 years. :) (We obviously met driving, but he worked for the other of two companies in the city, so there was some Romeo and Juliet shit going on.) I also, literally by coincidence, live three blocks from the barn I used to work at. As long as I'm wearing closed-toed shoes, I get to visit my boys whenever I want! I still pick up weird little gigs here and there as ground crew. 

Anyway, that was a lot of sharing. 

Good to hear, @Rabbit37!!!

6 hours ago, San said:

This is barely touching the surface

Yep. It really is. I've heard horror stories, and I KNOW in the NYC carriage industry, the horses aren't always well cared for- there are city limits set by the ASPCA about heat and cold and when horses can work. Their upper and lower limits are insane there. I'd never take a horse out in 90-something-degree weather to WORK, and my city has much tighter limits. The ASPCA van comes around and tells everyone to take their horses in when the weather gets too hot or cold, but the carriage companies usually send the drivers in before it gets hot enough to hit the upper limit.