CrazyBoards.org

SSRI's - do they all suck?

Do they really all suck as far as being tired, useless, and who the F cares?

So they might help me be less anxious but they also make me just not care and sleep all the time.  no good.

haven't hit a good point to fix my ocd yet either because I am to damn tired, I have read hundreds of posts here and haven't seen what anyone has done to fix this yet.  I don't have depression or take a ton of other meds, so I am just a person looking to counter this shit tired feeling from the ssri's.

Tried prozac, paxil, zoloft, serzone, celexa, lexapro.

Either they didn't work or I was tired, and paxil made me have messed up heart beats.

Don't want effexor - refuse, not even on the table.  I know, maybe stupid but just wont' take it.

:P   ;)   :ninja:   :)

Do they really all suck as far as being tired, useless, and who the F cares?

So they might help me be less anxious but they also make me just not care and sleep all the time.  no good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on what anxiety you have and such, have you considered Wellbutrin? That might help you stay awake, but you do need to consider anxiety into the mix.

Fiona

I take WB and still have a lot of anxiety. It is probably worsened by the WB. Still, I don't want to be fat, and I'm attempting to control my anxiety in different ways. I did say ATTEMPTING. The GAD is gone for now, but the lingering anxiety that goes with BP is NOT.

Maybe I should run back to Paxil, my former lover and attempted murderer?

Maybe I should run back to Paxil, my former lover and attempted murderer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found Paxil fairly good for a while, but eventually moved on in my quest for overall help. I've found Seroquel useful for 'background' anxiety, intrusive thoughts, 'voices,' and such, and have used it through a variety of antidepressants.

Fiona

• 2 weeks later...

Well no one can say you havent given ssris' a go, thats for sure!

What about NARIs'?

A lot of people report reboxetine to be really good, and strattera as well.  These drugs work primarly on noradrenaline rather than serotonin, and have good efficacy rates in cases where ssri's didn't work.

Otherwise you can look into tetracyclics as well, like mianserin or remeron.  These are very effective anti-depressants with strong anti-anxiety properties. Only issue is they have a high rate of weight gain (especially remeron). 

Another option are the older tricyclics, but for most people these suck. 

You may also find a combo works, like prozac + remeron or something like that. 

With the paxil, keep in mind its reknowned for not working well second time around. 

Cymbalta actually gave me horrible memory problems.  Of course, now I've been diagnosed with a dissociative disorder, but right around the time I started Cymbalta, I started to not retain everything.

For example, one time I got out my math book to do my math homework and so forth... and when I opened up my notebook to start it?  I found the assignment already done.  The assignment was in my own handwriting.  But I barely remembered having done it.  I looked at all the calculations and I didn't understand them at all.  I had to relearn the section.  Several times.

Not sure whether that was the dissociative disorder starting to show itself, or the Cymbalta... but such problems did coincide with the start of the Cymbalta rather suspiciously.

Kristina

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure about dissociative disorder but I can say I had certain attention and forgetting things on Cymbalta but by no means that severe.  I was up to 90mg at one point.  Some times I couldn't think of what word to use or say something backwards..... like lets phone on the talk lol

Wolverine -

All the SSRIs act like knock-out drops to me, and since I'm already a sleepyhead when I'm not depressed, they're completly off my list of possible drugs.  Wellbutrin has been my wonder drug.  It has helped the most with various degrees of major depression and dysthymia, although it's been augmented at times with Vivactil (an old "activating" tricylic), Topomax (off-label use of an anti-seizure med), and Adderall, a stimulant that's usually prescribed for ADD.

Hope you find something that works.

Archived