CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
straightjacket

How did you tell your psychiatrist you was hearing voices?

When I was hospitalised I found it difficult to approach the subject that I was hearing voices with my pdoc. I was in hospital because of strong delusions and I had harmed myself because of the delusions. I didn't feel comfortable talking about the voices. How did you approach the subject with you doctor? Did you flat out tell them or did they notice subtle cues?

I told him flat out.  Because they (the voices) had been around for a number of years (20 approx.), they let me tell him.  It was a sad day.  But at least I am able to work on it now,  I have a wonderful treatment team.  They understand my needs, even with new meds.  I started Vraylar a couple of weeks ago, and it's done wonders.

I got frustrated and was feeling unheard one day and said "Fine then. I'll just google 'should I listen to the voices in my head?' and do whatever say."

It is a difficult subject to talk about for me as well..I kept that under lock and key till one day my psychiatrist asked me point blank..I am a pretty private person and don't like people in my business..even when it's people who want to help..I keep myself as hidden as possible...so I'm pretty sure if she had never asked me I wouldn't have said a thing..

If you aren't able to talk about it try to write it down and give him m the paper. I h n get I bring a piece of paper my pdoc always notices.

For me it was hard too, it took me two visits to tell him, i took courage and just told him i was hearing voices when i tried to read, it might be really hard but you should try other things like writing it.

My pdoc always ended each session with (and this is word for word), "and any thoughts to hurt yourself or anyone else? Are you seeing or hearing anything others can't see or hear? Any little green men or anything like that?"

After hiding it the first couple times I heard them, I told him, "actually, yes. No green men, but voices."

I'm grateful that my voices aren't commanding or hostile, as I feel it would have been much harder. 

• Like 1

While IP one of the first times the pdoc asked me if I was hearing voices. I admitted to it then. He said he and the staff could tell that I had been hearing voices. How I do not really know. He was a very good and smart Dr. Some of them must just get it. I don't know when or if I would have spoken up about hearing things if it weren't for that good Dr. 

• Like 1

I one day just told my child psychiatrist, who was treating me for ADHD, that I was seeing and hearing a cat that followed me around. Or maybe I told her about the bugs in my legs first, I really can't remember. She just told me that wasn't normal, but didn't do anything about it.

5 hours ago, Fur said:

I one day just told my child psychiatrist, who was treating me for ADHD, that I was seeing and hearing a cat that followed me around. Or maybe I told her about the bugs in my legs first, I really can't remember. She just told me that wasn't normal, but didn't do anything about it.

Wow, I am surprised she didn't do anything about that! How old were you? And how old were you when it started, if you don't mind my asking?

It started with an emotional tdoc session, and my pdoc was in the same office. I was freaking out, literally, basically demanded to see pdoc, told him at that time, inbetween his appts. Quite dramatic at that time, I now realize, but opened a new channel of communication between us. 

23 hours ago, heilmania said:

Wow, I am surprised she didn't do anything about that! How old were you? And how old were you when it started, if you don't mind my asking?

I was sixteen years old when I told my psychiatrist. Eight years old when the cat started following me around. My grandma has it written in those books you use to check kids' milestones. 

36 minutes ago, Fur said:

I was sixteen years old when I told my psychiatrist. Eight years old when the cat started following me around. My grandma has it written in those books you use to check kids' milestones. 

Wow, that is quite young to develop psychotic symptoms! That's interesting that your gma noted it. 

11 hours ago, heilmania said:

Wow, that is quite young to develop psychotic symptoms! That's interesting that your gma noted it. 

She wrote that I had an "imaginary friend", but that the friend seemed to be different than other childrens'. I remember seeing cartoon characters following me for a long time. I was the youngest diagnosed as Schizophrenic on the adult ward, at age 18.

2 hours ago, Fur said:

She wrote that I had an "imaginary friend", but that the friend seemed to be different than other childrens'. I remember seeing cartoon characters following me for a long time. I was the youngest diagnosed as Schizophrenic on the adult ward, at age 18.

I'll believe it. I recently found out from reading old journal entries that I was experiencing some psychotic symptoms when I was 15. Very mild, but definitely clues to what I experience now. 

3 hours ago, heilmania said:

I'll believe it. I recently found out from reading old journal entries that I was experiencing some psychotic symptoms when I was 15. Very mild, but definitely clues to what I experience now. 

It's amazing to look back and wonder "Why didn't I notice sooner, why didn't I tell someone sooner?"  I wish I'd told someone as a child.

2 hours ago, Fur said:

It's amazing to look back and wonder "Why didn't I notice sooner, why didn't I tell someone sooner?"  I wish I'd told someone as a child.

It's like I was ready to tell them, but they weren't ready to hear how severe things were for me as a kid.

1 hour ago, heilmania said:

It's like I was ready to tell them, but they weren't ready to hear how severe things were for me as a kid.

I can understand that. My grandma thought I was just different because I was mostly around adults as a kid, and not other kids. I didn't have a lot of friends. When I got older and violent because of the hallucinations, she thought I was autistic. She took me to a psychiatrist at age 14, finally.

3 hours ago, Fur said:

I can understand that. My grandma thought I was just different because I was mostly around adults as a kid, and not other kids. I didn't have a lot of friends. When I got older and violent because of the hallucinations, she thought I was autistic. She took me to a psychiatrist at age 14, finally.

Jesus. Well I'm glad she did eventually take you.