CrazyBoards.org

Hi, the stress in my neck and my shoulders have been absolutely crazy for the last couple weeks. I was able to get into see a friend of mine who does massages. She had been working on my neck and my shoulders and telling me how freaking tight they were  and somehow we started talking about a place in my upper back that's a little bit messed up. She asked me what happened and I told her that I had been crushed by a forklift in 1987. I was 25 at the time.  I was young, I was in good shape, and it really didn't affect me one way or the other. I didn't feel emotionally or physically hurt. 

She asked me if I had been to therapy before, and I said sure for my childhood. She said, no I mean about the accident. I told her that I didn't really feel like a trauma had occurred. She said that she thinks my head and neck stuff are all related to the trauma associated with the accident.

I'm not sure how to phrase this question, but have you ever had any psych therapy done for something you didn't realize it was a trauma? Did it help? 

Thanks

• Like 1

I can't directly answer the question, but for me part of the definition of trauma is whether the individual found it traumatic. I think it's worth considering what your friend said, but I don't think an emotional component is necessary to cause the head and neck issues. The messed up part in your back could lead to those on a purely physical level.

• Like 1

I agree with Ion - trauma has an aspect of subjectivity to it, and you'd be the best person to know if this incident was traumatic for you and needs to be worked through in therapy.

Certainly if managing stress is a problem, perhaps some therapy focused on new ways of managing your stress in the present could be of use.  But I feel like it would be questionable to go to therapy to talk about something that doesn't bother you.  Seems like that would just make things worse.

• Like 1

This brings back the trauma of bad therapy to me. I had a therapist, actually two, try to convince me I should work on things I felt hadn't happened and some that maybe had but weren't issues. It was a waste of time and money and messed me up for years. So I'm biased when I say think about if that's really what you want to spend therapy time on. I had other serious issues that got shoved aside for the therapists idea of their priorities. I'd advise against going that route. If you think it's an issue, by all means pursue it, or even mention it. But if it feels like it's just not your issue, listen to that thought. You could have had physical changes from the accident or it could be a coincidence. I'm skeptical about massage therapists diagnosing "causes", too. Sometimes posture and other factors cause tightness, it doesn't have to be an emotional cause for that. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for responding. I think you're right, I didn't then nor do I now think that it was traumatic.  I think it hurt me physically and that now 30 years later it's affecting my body. 

I appreciate the feedback 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kitties
      Hi, I am kitties.  I am a newbie here, but not to illness.  I have chronic pain 24/7 in my back and neck.
      Mentally....here are my diagnoses (got a second and third opinion....all objective and a consensus of the exact same diagnoses.)
      Bipolar 1 with psychosis, extreme, treatment resistant, rapid cycling.   Mixed features predominant.  Never had a remission to date...just a couple of weeks with my bipolar disorder.  “Normal” for a few weeks a couple of times per year.  No anxiety remission.
      OCD, GAD, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety disorder, PTSD...I think that is everything.   Oh, I am significantly affected by a very strong dose of agoraphobia stemming from my PTSD and Panic Disorder.
      I have a great psychiatrist and I e been in treatment with him a since 2006.  I had a great therapist that had a co-transference issue and I ultimately ended my therapy with him. I have tried four therapists since firing the aforementioned therapist - but I unfortunately have lost faith in the process.
      I am a night owl by nature and it has really ramped up since being declared disabled in 2009/SSDI/cannot work.  I struggle with having a “routine,” although I have read that one with bipolar disorder tends to be more stable with a routine.  I’m easily overstimulated so I like the quiet and darkness..
      I know I have an eating disorder (anorexia, restricting type), but I politely yet firmly said I have had “eating issues” but I have no desire to “go there.”  My psychiatrist respects that although I am subject to a monthly weigh-in and I self-manage it.  
      I am currently relapsing right now, unfortunately. But, I have had it for so many years that I know at what weight my body and mind take a turn for the worst.  And I have to rein it back in and stop losing (meaning eat more).  I’ll never seek treatment as the recovery model, IMO, is ridiculous.  Kudos to those that have been able to “recover.”
      I take a bunch of meds, mainly psych meds  
      I like to read, Enjoy spending time with my boyfriend.  Internet.  I like learning things, I am currently and reading up on world history (pre-USA).  I keep up with psychology and sociology.
      Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

• By candi71
      I am so very lost, angry, hurt, depressed, explosive, and drowning.  I was put on latuda or my bipolar and depression acting up...  I hate new meds for this reason.  I started having my ptsd dreams again, ate everything in site and craved sugar omg terribly,  have been depressed, cant color which i love to do, just wanna sleep, explosive anger, crying jags, hate life, nothing makes me happy, everything just sucks.  Im so angry cause i feel like i did before i went on any meds, 20yr ago.  
      Im so confused i just feel like im grasping at air.. I was in the er the other night and they basically sent me home after giving my dose of larzapam i didn't take in the afternoon cause i doesn't help.  My theory of   it is it didn't help before the latuda what is gonna make it work coming off latuda or after off.. I remember why i drank now.. I didn't need to feel this then.. I want to drink so bad and wont cause I've been clean 6 yrs April will  be 7 and i worked to hard to get here and refuse to prove others right.  Im so so messed up i cant sleep cant watch TV cant color yet dont want to do any of the above either but if i dont sleep i hurt... has anyone felt this way..  It sux cause the battle to find meds to work will start tomorrow cause my liver doesn't process meds it flushes them out.. oh well sorry just needed to vent and hope someone can help
    • By Dewey
      Deleted and closed due to lack of response.

• By Dewey
      I didn't realize this until I was reading another post, but here it is again, the first day of Fall in the US in two days.  Already leaves are turning colors, falling, and the light outside is changing. Usually every change in season, I have one or two manic episodes. Last night had what I believe was my first manic episode in a long time.  But last evening was scarier, all the typical symptoms of mania along with visual disturbances and sensations I had never experienced before.  Left a vmail message on my psych docs line this morning thinking this is the smart thing to do, it usually takes alot for me to bother him in between sessions, but he does encourage this, fortunately. I left him the data and left it up to him if he feels he needs to call me back next week.  I see him in two weeks.
      So, I remember my psych doc telling me once in a mood change, one can take a little extra medicine to help.  I only take Seroquel as needed, so took 1/2 of a 25 mg of Seroquel and nothing happened.  Thirty minutes took the next 1/2 of the 25 mg and finally sleep arrived.  I slept 14 hours straight and when I woke up, I woke up to a totally different person.  That scary weird out of control mood was no longer there (thought I was going to have to call 911 for help), the cycling was almost gone and slowly drifted away throughout the day. 
      I am 67 and finding that my brain is functioning differently lately.  It's beginning to scare me, of course the aging process is very scary.  I have addressed this with my psych doc many times, even my neurologist and they do not seem concerned. I had an MRI and all was normal there for someone my age. These are all new symptoms to me, or maybe the same but more dramatic, I think. 
      I have had more than my share of significant triggers last 9 months.  I tried therapy last two weeks and actually ran out of the therapists room last week due to a panic attack. I warned her not to push. I even had it all written out for her to read, but oh no, she wanted me to verbalize it and then she swung into asking me about bodily feelings, that was when I ran out of her room in a blind panic.  She wanted me to reveal too much stuff too fast and I kept warning her. Will not go back to her.  So, now I have to get up the courage to seek out someone else.  My psych doc will not refer me to anyone, as is his way, which makes it harder on me.  
      Okay, will close for now. 
    • By Dewey
      Last night was scary for me.  I felt a mood suddenly ink in and I think I may have been hallucinating or dissociating due to the anxiety I was experiencing.  I actually saw out of the corner of my right eye a face that was letting out all the angst I was feeling.  It was a tortured hideous expression, and as soon as it appeared, it disappeared and I could feel all those churning emotions inking back into me.  Soo weird !!!  Was this dissociation, am I now BiPolar, what in the heck happened to me?  Never had this, this intense before.  I was afraid of........ me.
      I could tell something seriously was wrong, so what do I do? I go straight to the computer and go to my favorite site to order things I have never been able to afford before as that is one technique to self soothe, only I went overboard.  Yes, I extended my line of credit one late night and now I am buying things that I don't even remember, even two or three of the same item.  I am now busy returning most of them.  However, there are items I have wanted for sooo long that I am now buying, I won't even go into the items I am sending back, way to embarrassing, lol. 
      What scared me the most was the enormous scary mood swing, out of the blue, the mood was bigger than life to me.  I could hear my psych doc telling me what to do as going thru a mood swing like this your body can tolerate extra medication, so I took 1/2 of a 25 mg Seroquel and it did nothing to stop the mood, so 1/2 hour later, I took another half of the 25 mg and it worked, within 30 minutes I was out and I slept 14 hours, woke up in a completely different mood, a completely different person.  I had to say to myself this morning when I woke up, who was that person last night, I didn't even recognize myself and what I went thru.  What a difference a good nights sleep does and strong medicine to help me get to and stay asleep.   Wondering now if I am BiPolar because I heard that only a solid 12 hours of sleep will break cycling and I was definitely cycling last night. 
      I have been coming down from Zyprexa due to extreme vertigo, so wondering if this may have been part of what happened to me.  I also have reduced the Klonopin due to issues with my HMO and have had to stock-pile them, which leaves me wide open for more anxiety.  Lately, my mood and anxiety/panic have rendered me housebound and even sometimes too fearful to get out of my bed. 
      Well, thanks for reading this.  I don't know if anyone can shed any light on this to help me.