Just started on Zoloft and lamotrigne. Coke on weekends

Hey,

I always seem to look up these threads when I'm doing coke and I figured I would sign up so I can get some advise. My fiancé and I do coke regularly on Friday and Saturday nights. We drink and just chill. I recently was out on lamotrigine for my mood disorder and anxiety and thay wasn't working so my dr also prescribed me on Zoloft since I was feeling super angry most of the time with just the lamo. Anyways, I've been freaking out with the mix of coke and all my meds. I take 200 mg lamo 50g 1 bar/pill Zoloft and xanax when my anxiety is crazy. Because I only do coke on weekends, how will this effect my heart, my kindset and the effects for the meds on my mental health?  I don't want to stop the coke as it helps me unwind from my week .  Thoughts ?

It is my opinion that Coke is bad for your mental illness and you should try to get sober.  

Mixing Coke with your psychiatric medications is also not s great idea.  Neither the Coke or the meds will work as intended.  

Thay being said, we don't condone illegal things on this board. 

You're the only person I've ever known who says coke helps them unwind! Could well be the cause of your problems. Maybe come off the coke and see if it helps? I know you don't want to, but it could be the root cause of all your problems. I know, I had a coke addiction for a couple of years and it was pretty nasty. I'd recommend getting off the Colombian marching powder and finding a different way of chilling out.

6 hours ago, Abad said:

Because I only do coke on weekends, how will this effect my heart, my kindset and the effects for the meds on my mental health?  I don't want to stop the coke as it helps me unwind from my week .  Thoughts ?

Here's an informative article about what just ONE hit  of cocaine can do to you......It can alter your brain chemistry, and also put a strain on your heart........According to the article, one quarter (25%) of all non-fatal heart attacks for those under 45 are due to cocaine:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-50398/The-danger-just-hit-cocaine.html

Quote from the article......"The drug can send the heart into spasm, making the immune system destroy healthy cardiac tissue."

If that's not enough reason to stop, I don't know what is.

If you can't stop on your own, there is help available....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 7/23/2017 at 7:59 AM, TakeAChillPill said:

It is my opinion that Coke is bad for your mental illness and you should try to get sober.  

Mixing Coke with your psychiatric medications is also not s great idea.  Neither the Coke or the meds will work as intended.  

Thay being said, we don't condone illegal things on this board. 

I did not know this. I was reading up on threads and I just needed an opinion. If you don't condone anything please don't give me your opinion. I thought these threads were suppose to help people and not judge. Thanks for your time though 

• Like 2

We aren't trying to judge you, and talking about illegal drug use is ok as long as no one is suggesting you do them or trying to score.

Abad, what you're doing is dangerous. Even for people without MI, coke is a dangerous drug. It's highly addictive. It messes with your dopamine receptors, and there's some evidence that despite being an SSRI, Zoloft also acts on your dopamine receptors. Dopamine affects the pleasure centers of your brain. Things like food and sex and cocaine make them light up like Christmas trees. Over time, using cocaine will mess with the amount of dopamine available to your brain. You'll need more and more of it to get the same results you used to get. For a person with MI, this is very serious. You don't want your dopamine levels getting screwy. It can lead to depression. Our mental chemistry is more delicate, if you will, than that of non-MI people. We take huge risks when we consume drugs or alcohol with our meds, because we're already working hard to adjust the chemistry in your brains. If you've been on the med-g-round for long, you know that finding a combo that works for you is incredibly precious. You would do well to take care with a combo that helps you.

• Like 2

Hey OP with the coke issues. I don't think this is the place to talk about your situation.

if you go to bluelight.org and once there click on the dark side. They will be understanding and no judgment.

But yeah, coke does not mix with psych meds and even acceptance forums like bluelight will tell you that.

Don't take what THEY give you the answer comes from with in. Do what feels right and maybe the coke isn't for you if it is causing you to feel like you have to turn towards something like an anti anxiety or mood elevating medication. 

Edited by Garnet

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why a person can't look for answers here. No one has to 'condone' anything. But it's a part of life that many people with MI have substance abuse problems.

we shouldn't scare people off from asking for advice. Even if it's advice they might not want to hear. It's called harm minimisation.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't really feel like the OP was trying to condone it for other people. 

OP, if you're around. Coke is a serious drug. It can lead to all sorts of health complications, physical and mental. I would suggest bringing it up with a professional. If a stimulent is needed they can prescribe something thats a therapeutic dose. 

Coke is expensive and it's illegal. I would suggest curbing the habit/addiction. You will go through withdrawals which mess with you mentally a bit more than physically. In the end it's just not worth it.

I hope things are well with you now.