Coming off zyprexa, going on latuda. 12th try to come off. Gave up before because withdrawal way too bad. Have developed some health conditions since. Just turned 50 this month. Been on Zyprexa 27 yrs. Told Dr this is it. He said no. I stopped myself. Physical withdrawal came first. Treated myself with plenty water,rest,T3 for headaches, magnesium to cleanse my system faster, yoga to keep strength up,benzos for extreme anxiety. It was going well till week and half later, my thoughts started to become erratic. Went into hospital . went on latuda, plus 300 neurontin added to my ativan for the anxiety.  Was discharged after 5 days. 3 days later, as more of the zyprexa is leeching out, I've developed severe depression , paranoia, and suicidal ideation. I don't care how bad this all gets....I will not let them put me back on Zyprexa. I have to hold my ground. I'll probably be going back into the hospital tomorrow, because the suicidal thoughts are too strong. I'm only going in to be safe,...not to go back on that drug. Looking forward to a healthy future... My mantra. When all is said and done....I'm there if someone needs a hand. Keep the faith. Love...Audrey.?

4 hours ago, Slavetothepharma said:

Coming off zyprexa, going on latuda. 12th try to come off. Gave up before because withdrawal way too bad. Have developed some health conditions since. Just turned 50 this month. Been on Zyprexa 27 yrs. Told Dr this is it. He said no. I stopped myself.

27 years is a long time ..........Why are you going off the Zyprexa, and how much were you on before you stopped cold turkey?

Stopping an anti-psychotic cold turkey is generally not recommended.....Tapering the drug is usually easier on your system.

I am concerned about you because of the hospitalizations and suicidal thoughts......Why is your doctor not supporting your decision to get off the Zyprexa?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Going off zyprexa because it's caused a metabolic disorder that can turn into diabetes eventually. Also, heart disease because of the increase in blood lipids. Then the fact, I gained 100 lbs on it. Believe it or not,...I work out five days a week., eat no sugar in my diet, and lean meats and veggies. Zyprexa is the worst antipsychotic you can be put on. It will destroy your health. I stopped on my own because my Dr had given up trying to take me off it. I haven't given up. Actually, today, as we speak, I probably won't have to go into hospital for now. Things have improved. I had a choice to make...I didn't want to live my life out physically sick. I did taper the med the first two weeks, and eventually stopped. So, I didn't go cold turkey, so to speak. Yes, 27 yrs is a long time....a long time sick from the side effects. I am hopeful that I can now start to get my life back. I was young and in the army when they put me on it,....and they were too quick to do so. I've been through worse....I am tough....and brave...I follow my mantra..." She could, because she believed she can". If you're interested about what zyprexa does, Google, getting off zyprexa. You will find 1000 s in pain because of the drug. Peace.

I've never been on Zyprexa, but I'm familiar with the weight gain side effect from others here who have used it.

I was on Seroquel before, and quit because of the weight gain.....So I know how you feel....

Are you planning on trying a more weight neutral anti-psychotic?......I think you mentioned Latuda.

• 2 weeks later...

Went into hospital twice. Tried latuda... Thought it was OK...was discharged... Then whopping depression and suicidal thoughts. Went back into hospital for a week...put on Rexulti. And added lithium. Seems to be the best so far. My thoughts are clear. I'm getting things done. Depression is slight....but hoping once I get back into workouts, that will improve. Losing weight pretty quickly.... About a pound a day or two.  It's not utopia...nothing in a pill is. I'm learning to live my life over. Being on Zyprexa so long,...you see the world a certain way. Maybe that's why my family used to always tell me to show some emotion. Now, the world is different... More real. Sometimes,... That can be overwhelming. But that's good..and shouldn't be a reason to go back on the zyprexa. I feel,...therefore,... I am.

1 hour ago, Slavetothepharma said:

Went into hospital twice. Tried latuda... Thought it was OK...was discharged... Then whopping depression and suicidal thoughts. Went back into hospital for a week...put on Rexulti. And added lithium. Seems to be the best so far. My thoughts are clear. I'm getting things done. Depression is slight....but hoping once I get back into workouts, that will improve. Losing weight pretty quickly.... About a pound a day or two.  It's not utopia...nothing in a pill is. I'm learning to live my life over. Being on Zyprexa so long,...you see the world a certain way. Maybe that's why my family used to always tell me to show some emotion. Now, the world is different... More real. Sometimes,... That can be overwhelming. But that's good..and shouldn't be a reason to go back on the zyprexa. I feel,...therefore,... I am.

Now that's well said 

Keep in mind the condition that was being treated is still there, masked by Zyprexa. Don't confuse the return of symptoms as withdrawal. A cross taper will make things as easy as possible. Benzos, short term, can be a godsend.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear the Rexulti is helping. It certainly is no where near as sedating as Zyprexa. I take Abilify (Rexulti's older brother), and it gives me motivation and a desire for life, but one time I took Zyprexa and it sapped the life out of me because I was so sedated all the time. I realize that not everyone has that reaction to Zyprexa, but for me it was not a good match.

The thing to watch out for coming off Zyprexa is insomnia.

New news....Rexulti was working great. Three days ago my entire body broke out in hives the size of half dollars and bigger. Didn't catch the connection with the Rexulti, so I kept on it. Next morning... Same thing, but even more intense. Keep in mind, the whole time this is going on I'm eating benedryl like candy..third night.....woke up in the morning, hives beyond belief, eyes swollen shut, my lips were swollen three times their size.......looked up on Rexulti s. Site. My symptoms matched an allergic reaction. Stopped the med. No more hives. Now, it's been two days without any antipsychotic. I'm kinda nervous about what lies ahead. See Dr tomorrow. Will not give in to zyprexa. Guess it's time to be experimented on..

No clue what's going to happen. See Dr today. Try another antipsychotic. Think I've been on all of them already, though. Doing this outpatient. This has been one hell of a ride, not looking for sympathy, just a word to the wise......zyprexa is a hard drug to come off of. I almost wonder if they put something in it, that when metabolized, turns into an addictive substance. Sounds crazy???    Big pharma is crazy.  $$$$$$$$. Don't doubt the dollar. Now, that I've brightened everyone's day,... I leave you with these words....."love life,...be brave"..

2 hours ago, Slavetothepharma said:

Big pharma is crazy.  $$$$$$$$. Don't doubt the dollar. 

Big pharma has fully earned its image of ruthlessness and greed. Corporate America at its finest.

Politicians will do nothing because they are either shareholders in the stocks or dangling from the strings of the lobbyists, universally afraid to be the only one to have a morsel of integrity and go against the current of revenue. A majority of the prescribing physicians have a modified version of commission based dispensary guidelines that clouds their professional capacities, and manipulates their order for what is at the top of the list for a first attempt at medication managed treatment. We are at the mercy of whatever pharma rep took whatever insurance company executive to whatever island getaway had the best weather of the week or yacht docking availability. All while we are taking 1 medication for primary symptoms, and 3 additional ones for the side effects or additional symptoms or -- as a liability clause, just in case that primary medication sends us off into orbit, we won't do something sane like sue them all for being an illness on top of an illness.

So where does that leave us? 

On that ohhh-sooo-thrilling amusement park Medicoaster. 

I don't know if that rant is pure delusion based on half-truths, rumors, and my personal frustrations with medications.. but.. all those puzzle pieces fit together way too well when I jumped off the coaster 15 years ago.. Big mistake.

I am so sincerely happy for everybody who has had positive results with medication and has compiled a team dedicated and compassionate professionals that have devoted their time and effort to the futures of the suffering by working together for those who need the assistance, rather than pledging alliegence to the easy $. 

I try hard not to get provoked into the whole 'conspiracy theorist' mode. Looks like the $$$ signs triggered me on this one. I will add a disclaimer and hit the submit button anyways. 

If there is anybody who is debating whether or not the coaster is worth the aggrivation, please don't let my frustrations persuade you to not persue that potential for stability. There are endless success stories. I took a different route. And, I deeply regret it now. Don't give up!

Motivation and dedication.

I feel something bad must have happened to you as a result of the ready to push a pill or four physicians out there. I started on one pill for depression, and now am on ten. Wtf???.... Can I safely cut any of these out? And if I ask Dr... Would he even be willing????......cash back$$$$$$.

Stuck .  

Yeah.....pharmacy reps in the office couple times a week come in with tons of expensive food for staff ...pushing latest drug.....that costs 1,150.00$ a month.....no lie. I leave you with that thought. Oh...and the drug is simply for depression..... Not life saving prevention.

I take lots of pills, mostly generic. There are no sales reps or free food for generics. They work really well, so I leave it at that. From time to time I do take a brand because it is a better treatment than a generic for my condition. They work really well. I  took Abilify as a brand....it is a godsend. There have been several others when the brand offered the best treatment.

• Like 1

Previous 2 comments provide interesting perspectives from alternate sides.. 

My frustrations isn't necessarily with the medications.. they are just innocent chemicals, right? It's all the politics of everything that rubs me the wrong way. 

What if the prescribing physicians insist on certain medications? What if the person taking them has occupational insurance that says, NO.. we don't cover that one, we suggest this one.. what if the top few options for each symptom are found to be not an option? "Well, we typically don't prescribe this.. but, let's give it a try..." 

Since changing careers, the medication i 'require' would instantly end my current job. Not allowed. No exceptions.

The Medicoster isn't just medication.. All the frayed strands of my sanity being dropped into the hands of complete strangers living in far away mansions, creating new symptoms in boardroom meetings, and releasing new generations of pharmaceutical life-preservers exactly 9 years apart in order to be one step ahead of the generics in terms of pricing markups.. revenue.. stockholders. I was the guy paying $1700 a month in copays to NOT feel any better. 

For every professional holding out their hand to assist you with good intentions, there are a dozen more standing behind them saying.. no. No. No.

The clarity and lucidity of hypomania is a threat to that establisment. I did my research to figure out how these wonder drugs are created, tested, and approved by the FDA. In a nice, neat, profitable circle, the same people creating medication are the same people approving, promoting, and selling the medication. Everything we think we know about safeguards.. is a lie. 

Where does knowing that truth leave a person with debilitating paranoia and trust issues?

After fighting through 3 years of side effects that were just as bad as the illness itself.. it was not a difficult decision for me to flush my medication. But, even that had consequences. I've been making a life mistakes and throwing everything else away ever since. Maybe medication would have prevented that.. or maybe I wouldn't be here this writing this now? 

It's all became an unsolvable riddle of layered maybe's. Its the whole YMMV clause.

In my quest for answers and solutions, medication provided only different illness and more confusion. 15 years without medication led to solitude and regret. Unfulfillment of potential. Such a maddening illness. What if? What if? What if? The debate rages on..

Any reoccurance of psychotic mania would be the deciding factor for me. I have been fortunate enough to not reach that level while staying away from meds. I can tolerate my life in a constant state of 'mixed' episodes. That extreme high upswing was way beyond any limit for acceptable behavior. At that point, medication would clearly become the lesser of 2 evils. 

And, yes.. I am fully aware that things could always be so much worse. All while knowing they could be so much better. Maddening! 

------ added link

http://i.stuff.co.nz/science/7171664/Stress-causing-mood-disorders

So many articles out there teasing of the next advancement in research. This article deals with Neuritin gene reactions in the brain. 

"Only about 30 percent of people with mood disorders achieve full remission on existing antidepressants, Russo said, "and there's been a fundamental failure to turn new discoveries into new drugs we can use in clinical practice. If someone is willing to take the risk and the financial responsibility, neuritin could be a good approach." 

Good approach to further what objective? Generate revenue for corporate America? Or promote positive outcomes for those remaining 70% who could use an alternative medication option?

For those of us who struggle with medications, the top tier meds will soon be generics.. and, at $500 a month for a co-pay, this will be the next cure-all for stress induced mood disorders. 

But, it likely won't be any improvement for many. Why? People who see dramatic improvements in their mental health will no longer need to buy the NEXT breakthrough..

The future success in the business of pharmaceuticals requires a combination of...... more afflicted customers to treat or more afflictions available to diagnose them with or higher prices on medication.

Profit becomes the priority at the expense of those who need the help.

That logic is terrifying to me. 

Edited by Lms-Kaz
Research..