drug screen for Pdoc

16 minutes ago, mrjones said:

Anybody else have to get a drug screen from NP at Pdoc.  First time ever in over 22 years with new Pdoc.  I don't have a drug addiction history.

What do you mean by "NP at pdoc"? Sorry I'm dumb. I don't know what NP means sorry!

The only times I've been required to get a drug screen were when in the ER being admitted for the hospital psych ward. They always check me for drugs and I don't have a drug addiction history. 

10 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

What do you mean by "NP at pdoc"? Sorry I'm dumb. I don't know what NP means sorry!

The only times I've been required to get a drug screen were when in the ER being admitted for the hospital psych ward. They always check me for drugs and I don't have a drug addiction history. 

Wonderful cheese, NP stands for nurse practitioner and I should have said it originally but just like you I have got drug screens at mental hospitals and psych wards as routine procedure, in fact I usually got the whole blood work-up with it.

Just now, mrjones said:

Wonderful cheese, NP stands for nurse practitioner and I should have said it originally but just like you I have got drug screens at mental hospitals and psych wards as routine procedure, in fact I usually got the whole blood work-up with it.

Oh thanks for the clarification! I should have known that one! Oops! 

23 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

No, I've never had that, despite changing practitioners multiple times. Did you ask what it was about, why you have to have it?

Gearhead, yes I asked them today what it was about?,The secretary, told me it was routine, everybody had to do it.  I told her that they made all the jewish people get into the gas chambers but that don't make it right.  She said she would have NP call me not to take test yet, I told her I had no problem with lithium level as that was relevant.

My new pdocs are going to be drug testing me throughout treatment. I think it's because I came in their office with Adderall and Klonopin prescriptions. In my second half of intake, they just kind of let me know to 1) smoke LESS weed (not stop completely, lol), 2) they'd be lowering my medications, and 3) they'd be drug testing me periodically. I don't have a problem with it, especially since I was honest with them about smoking weed, and they're not telling me to STOP smoking it.

Oh, and no drug-addiction history here, either.

29 minutes ago, heilmania said:

My new pdocs are going to be drug testing me throughout treatment. I think it's because I came in their office with Adderall and Klonopin prescriptions. In my second half of intake, they just kind of let me know to 1) smoke LESS weed (not stop completely, lol), 2) they'd be lowering my medications, and 3) they'd be drug testing me periodically. I don't have a problem with it, especially since I was honest with them about smoking weed, and they're not telling me to STOP smoking it.

Oh, and no drug-addiction history here, either.

Are you somewhere where it is legal to smoke it? If so I would say maybe that's why they say "less"... but I found that (long long time ago in my 20's) it made me super anxious and I'd have panic attacks. Later I found out that psychoactives are awful for people with MI. But some people see good results on it as a medicine so it is contradictory. I wish they'd do real good studies on it, in terms of MI. So that we'd know more because it is interesting. 

13 hours ago, mrjones said:

Anybody else have to get a drug screen from NP at Pdoc.  First time ever in over 22 years with new Pdoc.  I don't have a drug addiction history.

I've never been screened for anything other than for getting a new job. But I don't do anything/take anything other than 1 benzo, and usually if those show up at a job screen, you just show them your bottle and it's all good. 

8 minutes ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

Are you somewhere where it is legal to smoke it? If so I would say maybe that's why they say "less"... but I found that (long long time ago in my 20's) it made me super anxious and I'd have panic attacks. Later I found out that psychoactives are awful for people with MI. But some people see good results on it as a medicine so it is contradictory. I wish they'd do real good studies on it, in terms of MI. So that we'd know more because it is interesting. 

It's been "decriminalized" here, so if you're caught, you just pay $30 and appear before a judge to say sorry, and it doesn't go on your record.

I wish there were more studies, too. All I know is that it chills me out and STOPS anxiety attacks instantly. I wish I could bring weed to smoke at work, or in a grocery store, or, basically everywhere, because I get triggered by ANYTHING or NOTHING, and it really does stop me from panicking and hyperventilating and sweating and shaking and crying and all that shit when I'm a wreck.

Oh, and medical marijuana is legal here, but definitely not for anything I have. It's legal for people with seizure disorders and stuff like that. Not MI. :( 

Edited by heilmania
added something.

Sometimes if it's a new provider or if you're new to a provider they have a protocol they prefer; like getting baseline data and performing due diligence for prescribing. A lot of drugs of abuse interact with mental health meds in unpleasant or dangerous ways, or at a minimum are counter-therapeutic to the effects of things you might get prescribed.

If she's asking you to do one EVERY visit, I would feel concerned about that as it wouldn't necessarily be medically indicated. Talking with her about it seems like a good step.

• Like 1

If you are talking scheduled/abusable meds some docs test for the presence of these meds  to make sure you are taking them. Diversion of prescribed meds is a big deal. People giving/selling their meds. Some docs test to make sure you are taking your meds. Of course some test for illegal meds.

• Like 1