Ruminations and Stuck in Head

I've been struggling a lot lately with some of the ruminating, obsessive worrying, etc...

I find that I'm stuck in my head a lot.  It's making me miserable lately, it makes it nearly impossible to enjoy anything.

I can typically function at work, and go about my business, but I'm drifting through it all while I'm in my head trying to figure things out.   It's pretty much 24/7 ruminations.  I get a temporary relief when I take Seroquel before bed, and helps me sleep.

Wondering how others deal with this problem.  Outside of the meds, I haven't found much works...I think eating something temporarily lifts it, as well as exercise sometimes....

I can pretty much do several activities, multitask, while I'm still ruminating....

Edited by BrianOCD

Ha, interesting, Same for me...Luckily my job is driving, it's just that when I'm at home I have to deal with it much more and it's more severe...

Edited by BrianOCD

Idk, I find looking at them can sometimes multiply it..

One worry maybe I can look at, but then something else typically invades...

The only way I've gotten away from it is heavy sedation.  Outside of that my mind is just running too fast.

@BrianOCD I have the same issue with a few nonstop ruminating thoughts...they are not racing thoughts (like yours seem to be) but the same repetitive, really negative worrisome thoughts that won't go away unless i take a xanax or something and go to bed.

Is this an OCD thing?? For me I thought it was part of anxiety/depression. At any rate, i need help with a solution also if anyone has various suggestions!

5 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Have you tried the less sedating antipsychotics? 

I'm generally satisfied with Seroquel...although I feel it's not as effective as it once was...

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

@BrianOCD I have the same issue with a few nonstop ruminating thoughts...they are not racing thoughts (like yours seem to be) but the same repetitive, really negative worrisome thoughts that won't go away unless i take a xanax or something and go to bed.

Is this an OCD thing?? For me I thought it was part of anxiety/depression. At any rate, i need help with a solution also if anyone has various suggestions!

Yep, it seems Ativan helps in this regard for me too....I assumed it was an OCD thing, but maybe not...Could just be an anxiety/depression thing....

I try to avoid taking Ativan thought, as I feel like I deal with more side effects than with other meds.  I keep Ativan around for panic attacks as a last line of defense kinda thing and in this case it would only be a temporary solution to the problem...

Maybe they're no racing thoughts, more like non stop intrusive thoughts that I can't get away from....

Edited by BrianOCD

2 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

I'm generally satisfied with Seroquel...although I feel it's not as effective as it once was...  

Maybe you could ask your pdoc  about raising the Seroquel dose a bit.........50mg is a pretty low dose.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

4 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

Yep, it seems Ativan helps in this regard for me too....I assumed it was an OCD thing, but maybe not...Could just be an anxiety/depression thing....

I try to avoid taking Ativan thought, as I feel like I deal with more side effects than with other meds.  I keep Ativan around for panic attacks as a last line of defense kinda thing and in this case it would only be a temporary solution to the problem...

Maybe they're no racing thoughts, more like non stop intrusive thoughts that I can't get away from....

true- I can't use Xanax really for my ruminations... only for panic/emergencies. I would get totally addicted and more screwed up. Maybe Seroquel PRN would help? I sure wouldn't want to go on it everyday though.

I have one intrusive thought (the same one as 13 years ago) and I was free of this thought for about 2 years on Luvox and 5/6 years on Lexapro.
Though with Lexapro it wasn't as stable. Zoloft only partially works. I find that I can work behind my computer, drive my car, have conversations, play games, talk with customers, etc and still have the thought popping up. Although this is annoying, I'm used to it and I don't get anxious at all.  Lately I've been worrying and ruminating more about other issues in my life and these can push out  the intrusive thought. When I'm 'done' with worrying for a while, the thought will come up more often. 
I try to accept that this thought will never leave me for good (or will stay untill I find the right med). There was a pdoc who told me it's possible to take Seroquel PRN (as needed),  but at these low dosages it will make one feel sedated as well. Maybe there is another anti-psychotic more suited for you?